XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Willow Springs
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just recieved my supertrapp universal exhaust and am waiting for my open end cap before I install them.
The instruction say nothing about how to install the mount bracket to the muffler itself.
Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.
I only want to utilize the footpeg mount one.
The rear one is toast....
Thanks,
Jim

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
I used the side screws, install the mufflers so the screws line up on the inside, and then put a 1" X 1/8" thick aluminum strap with holes drilled so the mufflers don't bang into each other, just to keep the spacing. I put slightly longer 1/4" stainless cap screws in place of the stock ones. Works super.

Chow Don

·
First in Harms Way
623 Posts
I used the side screws, install the mufflers so the screws line up on the inside, and then put a 1" X 1/8" thick aluminum strap with holes drilled so the mufflers don't bang into each other, just to keep the spacing. I put slightly longer 1/4" stainless cap screws in place of the stock ones. Works super.

Chow Don
I know, old thread.....any pictures of this?

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
That looks simple enough. It looks like the cans are just bolted to the head pipe and free-hanging....is that right? What ID and length cans did you use?
The cans come with a good clamp. You drill a hole and put a pin in (supplied) and then the clamp goes over to hold the pin in, works well. They are just the Supertrapp Aluminum universals, I think they call them 4" (the dia.) and they are 1.5" inlet , they fit right on the end of the stock head pipes. They measure 12" long without the discs. I don't have the p/n, Scotty prolly does.....over

G

·
The S/C Standards (High Temp Black as these would be going on an x) only go as small as 1.75" ID.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=32

What about the disk-only mufflers? I'm pretty sure these would be awfully loud and destroy performance.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-344-1705/
i use the open end caps and no disks cant see the point in using them seeing as the exhaust gas goes straight out the back anyway,besides those disks just make the muffler look crap. as for noise they are loud but not offensive so gonna be taking out the packing inside em,the dash cans that i had were way louder than the supertrapps.

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
What about the disk-only mufflers? I'm pretty sure these would be awfully loud and destroy performance.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-344-1705/
I'm using a 5" disk only muffler right now. I only have 12 disks and think I need more, but the performance is not bad (the tech's at H-D always come back with "Damn that bike is fast"). The sound is probably louder than most XR1200 exhausts, but not nearly as loud as the "LOUD" big twin exhaust systems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.