XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s not from the rear brake switch, it’s from the front brake. Is the master cylinder rebuildable? Is the switch serviceable? I can wiggle around the front brake level and the brake light will go off.
soon as it moves back in to certain position the brake stays on. Anyone ever have this happen?

btw the XR1200 Runs Great!
little help on the front brake light switch if that’s what you call it.

· the older I get.the faster I was
1,835 Posts
I think Cory had a whole front master cylinder for sale.
Not sure what is causing the problem.
There is a pin in there, but if it goes missing the brake light will NOT come on.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
It is in the Handlebar Switch Assembly.
You need to be careful when you remove the lever not to damage the switch. The switch is part of the housing and if you don’t loosen up the housing before you remove the lever that’s when it gets damaged. That switch alone is $75 so be careful.

Font Parallel Engineering Circle Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Hayward Area

· Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,728 Posts
As an alternative to an expensive USD $75 HD part. In order to fix the little plastic plunger which goes back & forth into a small rubber bellows (this collective mechanism sometimes referred to as "the tit" for obvious reasons) and which I had accidentally broken off doing the same thing as you, I just superglued a small strip of aluminium plate onto the active nub of the brake lever which pushes on the little plunger. That was 6 or 7 years go. Has worked fine since. Just sayin'.

J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts