XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found this site from my membership on the XLforum. I own a XL1200R, 1250cc, SE 575 cams, XLH 13.5" shocks, completely rework front forks with better springs, racetech parts, fork brace, etc., etc.

I think the XR is the bike to be had. And if I didn't have so much invested in mine I would sell and get an XR. So, I choose to give my XL the best of that XR that I can.

I live near the East TN foothills near the Foothills Parkway which is the path I take to the Dragon. The riding here is for the twisties so I work hard at making my XL perform well in the curves. It is not an easy task but it is coming along nicely. And I look forward to learning from you XR folks.

Best regards
Bobo

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome!

BTW, anyone know how I can contact the admin? I keep getting this error:

Not Found

The requested URL /site/[email protected] was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8k DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.xr1200ownersgroup.com Port 80

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Admin, the reason for the contact was I can't change my address. I have two personal email addresses so it was not a problem to get registered. By bellsouth address works fine but I couldn't use my hotmail which is my main personal email address. Is there any way to change my profile address to hotmail or do you need to have that turned off system wide for spam? I would think I am not the only one that has a hotmail address.

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard Bobo. I am envious of your riding area. Have done the Dragon twice and hope to get back there next year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a great riding area. You have to find the less travel routes though as traffic can get heavy. And the police are all over the dragon with the frequent deaths they have up there. 30 MPH speed limit for 11 miles is not fun unless you are willing to get a ticket and this pretty much lets the police stop just about anyone they want as doing staying around 30 mph is not easy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't posted a pic of my bike yet because I wasn't at the point where I felt it was enough like the XR. My bike is what I consider to be the original XR1200 :) This was a 06 1200R and has gone through a few evolutions and finally gotten to this point. All the work was done myself including my first filler, putty, and paint job. I did all the work myself. Installed the NRHS 1250 kit and their stage 3 heads and roller rockers & adj push rods over a year ago. Then I replaced the front end this winter and when I got done it was raining all the time. So the wife tells me to go ahead and get the tank and fender and I just got done about a week ago and have put 150 test miles on it.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten the HD XR1200 but it wasn't on the radar when I got this one. And I would have preferred a different front end but this one came up on ebay and it was allot cheaper albiet non-adjustable. And I am on this forum because I am more like the riders here than I am the classic HD rider and relate better growing up on Kaws.

I am happy with the rear brake but not the fronts. I got the front brakes cheap from a show bike that was changing sponsers.

Now I will start building an X1 Buell basket case I have and I still have a 2000 trans am I need to build.

mods:
1250 kit, Mikuni 42 rejetted, roller rockers, adj pushrods, storz trees & forks & tank & fender & rear brake setup, PM controls and brakes, Galfer rotors, Goodridge brake lines, storz rear sets, storz/bub exhaust, laced 18 rims, avon tires, inverted lowering blocks to raise the rear, chain conversion with monstercraft.com mount and roller (I actually got Jon to make these and he sells them now), and probably some other mods I have forgotten.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
Very nice mate :cool:

Scotty needs to know more about the heads and 1250 kit....Any dyno runs? did you change the cams? if so which ones did ya use? what jetting is in the carb?
And Bobo, what tank is that?..

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
I haven't posted a pic of my bike yet because I wasn't at the point where I felt it was enough like the XR. My bike is what I consider to be the original XR1200 :) This was a 06 1200R and has gone through a few evolutions and finally gotten to this point. All the work was done myself including my first filler, putty, and paint job. I did all the work myself. Installed the NRHS 1250 kit and their stage 3 heads and roller rockers & adj push rods over a year ago. Then I replaced the front end this winter and when I got done it was raining all the time. So the wife tells me to go ahead and get the tank and fender and I just got done about a week ago and have put 150 test miles on it.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten the HD XR1200 but it wasn't on the radar when I got this one. And I would have preferred a different front end but this one came up on ebay and it was allot cheaper albiet non-adjustable. And I am on this forum because I am more like the riders here than I am the classic HD rider and relate better growing up on Kaws.

I am happy with the rear brake but not the fronts. I got the front brakes cheap from a show bike that was changing sponsers.

Now I will start building an X1 Buell basket case I have and I still have a 2000 trans am I need to build.

mods:
1250 kit, Mikuni 42 rejetted, roller rockers, adj pushrods, storz trees & forks & tank & fender & rear brake setup, PM controls and brakes, Galfer rotors, Goodridge brake lines, storz rear sets, storz/bub exhaust, laced 18 rims, avon tires, inverted lowering blocks to raise the rear, chain conversion with monstercraft.com mount and roller (I actually got Jon to make these and he sells them now), and probably some other mods I have forgotten.

View attachment 2458 View attachment 2457 View attachment 2456
Bobo! That thing's rockin'! Great Job....................:clap:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, glad you mentioned that Alec, i missed it off my list of things i need to know.

I'll nip back and add it to the list, cheers mate :cool:
It is a very sweet tank. Expensive. Great workmanship. But, far from paint ready. I had to fill the very front to make it nice and round and smooth and then some putty as the aluminum surface was not very even. It has a great fit. I know some builders will fill in the area around the gas cap. I choose not to. Didn't want the gas getting near the paint and I liked the polished aluminum contrast to the paint.

Thanks everyone for the comments and for not flaming me for being a XR wanna be :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.