XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our English friends are the lucky one this week as the MotoGP circus relocates to historic Donington Park. Rossi hasn't locked up the championship yet and Lorenzo seems very motivated to kick Rossi's azzzz. Aparently Yamaha is in contract talks with both riders and Lorenzo thinks he's worth as much as Rossi....the only way he can prove it is on the. track. Pedrosa is riding well, as is Stoner. The English contingent would like to show well at home so there'll be several storylines to this weekend's race.

This will be great. Can't wait!

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And this will be Nicky's come back race - I can feel it :D
:whistling: Well to hear the announcers talk about him you'd think he was leading the points race!

Don, lol, Gary Nixon has as much chance of coming back to win this race as Nicky does! :clap: Nicky needs to come home (where we love him), run AMA next year, and get his head on straight!

I still haven't figured it out....I mean Stoner is riding the same bike and is routinely dicing with Rossi, Pedrosa, and Lorenzo.....it's definately something internal with Nicky....

On the other hand he has a GREAT website...
www.nickyhayden.com . Certainly worth a visit, even if it's just to check out the new Ducati 848 Nicky Hayden model!

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
Don, lol, Gary Nixon has as much chance of coming back to win this race as Nicky does! :clap:
That's a bit harsh Magoo. You never know when things might click. He qualified 4th at the last race and might have done ok except he got puched wide on the first turn.

I still haven't figured it out....I mean Stoner is riding the same bike and is routinely dicing with Rossi, Pedrosa, and Lorenzo.....it's definately something internal with Nicky....
It's not just Nicky. No non-Stoner has been able to ride a Ducati. Nicky's 5th at Laguna Seca was the best finish by a non-Stoner on a Duc in like 5 years.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha! Emerson was right...to be great is to be misunderstood :clap:.

You may be right about no one being able to ride the Ducati, but they are in 2nd place in the Manufacturer Standings, behind Yamaha (of course), and ahead of Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki (in that order).

The Nixon comment was sarcasm to see if I could get Don started on a rant (I love when he does that :clap:)....it wasn't meant to be harsh...Gary Nixon has always been one of my idols. Go # 9!

And Nicky could catch lightning in a bottle and win one...but nobody would be more surprised than Nicky himself. He does look to be improving, his last 4 races have been way better than his first 5.

You know, Tom Watson came within one putt of winning the British Open and Tiger Woods didn't make the cut. Who would have thought that!!! But the next tournament with Tom Watson and Tiger Woods in it, my money's still gonna be with Tiger.

So, apologies to Nicky fans....I am sending positive vibes his way at Donington...

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Ha! Emerson was right...to be great is to be misunderstood :clap:.

You may be right about no one being able to ride the Ducati, but they are in 2nd place in the Manufacturer Standings, behind Yamaha (of course), and ahead of Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki (in that order).

The Nixon comment was sarcasm to see if I could get Don started on a rant (I love when he does that :clap:)....it wasn't meant to be harsh...Gary Nixon has always been one of my idols. Go # 9!

And Nicky could catch lightning in a bottle and win one...but nobody would be more surprised than Nicky himself. He does look to be improving, his last 4 races have been way better than his first 5.

You know, Tom Watson came within one putt of winning the British Open and Tiger Woods didn't make the cut. Who would have thought that!!! But the next tournament with Tom Watson and Tiger Woods in it, my money's still gonna be with Tiger.

So, apologies to Nicky fans....I am sending positive vibes his way at Donington...
What? Me rant? How could you say such a thing? :innocent:

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Nicky could kick all their asses on the Mile at Indy, too bad they're racing on pavement. Would like to see what times Nicky could turn on Rossi's Yamaha wouldn't you? :clap: Later,

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nicky could kick all their asses on the Mile at Indy, too bad they're racing on pavement. Would like to see what times Nicky could turn on Rossi's Yamaha wouldn't you? :clap: Later,
Now that would be interesting! It's hard to believe the Yamaha's are that much better than everything else. Even without Rossi, Yamaha would be in the lead in manufacturer points. Of course, if you put Rossi back on a Ducati he would still win....

The guy who's really overachieving is Marco Melandri....the Kawasaki he's riding is generally acknowledged to be a piece of shit yet he's managing very respectable results! He'll win before Nicky.....

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
The guy who's really overachieving is Marco Melandri....the Kawasaki he's riding is generally acknowledged to be a piece of shit yet he's managing very respectable results! He'll win before Nicky.....
Absolutely : Melandri has done himself a lot of good this year riding the bike that everyone thought would be crap! he is now in line to be Simoncellis team mate at gresini Honda in 2010, so has made the biggest comeback since Lazarus. Hopefully Hayden can resurrect his career in the same way once he tires of trying to ride the Ducati like Stoner and moves elsewhere. I really can't see Hayden (or any other top riders) wanting to move back to the AMA/DMG Superbike fiasco any time soon, so WSB would look more attractive to them I'm sure.

Lorenzo is rumoured to be moving to Honda in a big cash deal, with Pedrosa moving the other way to partner Rossi (unlikely in my opinion!), so with these rumours in full swing and Spies still undecided on his future, it could be a while before we have the full story for next year :)

One thing is pretty certain, James Toseland won't win the British GP and won't be riding for Tech 3 in 2010 (neither will Colin Edwards) :(

Prediction for Sunday................

Pedrosa
Rossi
Stoner

Lorenzo will crash :(

125GP will of course be a British clean sweep with Bradley Smith, Scott Redding and Danny Webb finishing 1,2,3 . Rule Britannia :)

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lorenzo is rumoured to be moving to Honda in a big cash deal, with Pedrosa moving the other way to partner Rossi (unlikely in my opinion!), so with these rumours in full swing and Spies still undecided on his future, it could be a while before we have the full story for next year :)

One thing is pretty certain, James Toseland won't win the British GP and won't be riding for Tech 3 in 2010 (neither will Colin Edwards) :(

Prediction for Sunday................

Pedrosa
Rossi
Stoner

Lorenzo will crash :(.....
Ha! If there's any crashing to be done it'll be Pedrosa on the unpredictable handling Honda! I'd love to see someone from the pack move forward and shake up the front runners.

Toseland and Edwards have made a season out of dicing with Nicky and really haven't shown out. Melandri or even Capirossi could move to the podium...that'd be nice!

What's the weather forecast? Why is this the last GP race at Donington? Are they tearing down? What's going on over there with you Brits anyway? [:)]

Oh, and Lorenzo says it's not about the money....whenever someone says that it's definately about the money!!!

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
After first practice I wish I had put some money on my predicted top 3 :) it has ended with

Pedrosa
Stoner
Rossi

So I got the right suspects in almost the right order!

The weather is pretty crap today at Donington, with heavy showers moving across all day. The 125 practice was hit by a huge storm which left the track waterlogged for most of 125 FP1. The MotoGP practice was pretty wet right up until the last 5 minutes (although nobody ventured out on slicks!) and the 250 practice was bone dry, hence the leading 250 guys ended the day with times almost 6 seconds faster than the big boys!! Weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday is pretty piss poor so I would expect a wet race or at best a wet/dry race with lots of bike swapping going on.

Donington has lost the contract to hold the British MotoGP races from 2010, when they will revert back to Silverstone again for the first time in years. Both circuits are getting multi million pound makeovers though, as the F1 GP is moving to Donington from Silverstone. No bad thing as the facilities at Donington are appalling for a major GP circuit.
Silverstone has come in for some criticism as a bike venue, but the WSB boys seem to like it and it makes for some very fast racing :)

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I love Silverstone too.

Looks like Valentino on the pole, Pedrosa qualified 2nd, Lorenzo third. Colin Edwards qualified well...he may have ideas of trying to podium in this thing...you know, home crowd and all.....:clap:

I think tomorrow comes down to the weather....if it's dry Rossi will be the man, if it's wet it will be anyone's race.....

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha, Josh, that was a crazy race! No one could have predicted that podium result.

All year I've been hard on Nicky, after today I'm thinking his team manager is a bozo! Nickey and Stoner looked like idiots out there.....they were a lap down with 10 laps to go! Embarassing strategic gamble....and not well thought out.

I was happy to see the new faces on the podium....in the interview they all did great....I like the French kid on the playboy bike! He was riding well last week, till he crashed his brains out...[:)]..

Josh, are you still planning on going to Indianapolis?

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
All year I've been hard on Nicky, after today I'm thinking his team manager is a bozo! Nickey and Stoner looked like idiots out there.....they were a lap down with 10 laps to go! Embarassing strategic gamble....and not well thought out.
In the post race interviews with both riders and team manager Livio Suppo it appears that the decision to go for wet tyres was taken purely by the riders. For a pair of ex world champions it was an appalling decision and a huge error of judgement. I can understand one of them taking the gamble but not both riders.

Even as a club racer I know that you should fit the tyres to suit the prevalent conditions at the time, not what might happen in 5-10 minutes time.

The team should have overridden the rider choice and insisted on at least one of them running slicks, especially as they could see that every other rider on the grid was on slicks! That is yet another serious judgement error.

However, the very worst thing was that they let both riders trail round getting lapped without bringing them in to change tyres or retire completely. Getting beaten is one thing, but getting lapped by the entire field is just plain stupid.

Somebody's head should roll at Ducati.

It was a good race though, and everyone seemed to lose their nerve as the race went on except for Colin Edwards! Pedrosa looked particularly weak and went backwards as soon as it got slippery.

Lots of fuss and cheering over here because Toseland managed to salvage 6th place, but to be honest that isn't good enough especially considering he benefitted from other people pitting to change tyres, so I think his time in MotoGP is definitely almost run. He was 8 places ahead of Edwards on the first lap and still managed to get beaten by his team mate, and that is the only statistic that really matters when you are fighting for your job.

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
Did you see Lorenzo go down? Yeow....front tire hit the white track striping and he went down quick!

Ha! He went down like concrete dries.....fast and hard. (I was gonna use a sex analogy...but didn't want to offend any of our female members....or FatBilly)...

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
In the post race interviews with both riders and team manager Livio Suppo it appears that the decision to go for wet tyres was taken purely by the riders. For a pair of ex world champions it was an appalling decision and a huge error of judgement. I can understand one of them taking the gamble but not both riders.

Even as a club racer I know that you should fit the tyres to suit the prevalent conditions at the time, not what might happen in 5-10 minutes time.

The team should have overridden the rider choice and insisted on at least one of them running slicks, especially as they could see that every other rider on the grid was on slicks! That is yet another serious judgement error.

However, the very worst thing was that they let both riders trail round getting lapped without bringing them in to change tyres or retire completely. Getting beaten is one thing, but getting lapped by the entire field is just plain stupid.

Somebody's head should roll at Ducati.

I think that proves that it wasn't a rider decision but what we all heard was proper politics dictated by the team.

·
The Singularity is near.
73 Posts
Josh, are you still planning on going to Indianapolis?
Probably not. I got to deal with that family stuff I had mentioned to you before, have a date set for that on Aug. 20th. So, thats sapping most of my time and money.

Plus work is making it difficult to take leave. :(
*Edit*
If things go well on the 20th, I may *may* go for a 3 day weekend. But if I do I'll probably take the family with me and cage it up there.

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
Bad, bad gamble. Imagine what everyone would be saying if it had started raining right from the beginning and Nicky and Stoner were 1,2 on the podium?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.