XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read this somewhere, but I can't find it. When changing the stock length shocks to longer, or adding a frame riser for the shocks, does the belt needs to be readjusted? To add to this, I am also running the Free Spirit Belt Tensioner.

Harley Davidson XR1200 Dynamic belt tensioner (Black) (freespiritsparts.com)

So, with +2" Ohlins and the tensioner, do I need to readjust, or leave it as it is? After a while of thinking about this for a while, I am sure it will click.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I remember reading is if you were going to install longer shocks on the rear you’re gonna want to tighten the belt a little more. The rear suspension in full droop, is going to be lower than it would be with the standard shocks so that means the belt has less tension on the stock roller.

i’m still thinking here…

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
With longer shocks you want your belt to be looser when with the bike is at rest, no load. The belt will tighten up as the shocks compress under load. My belt seems "slap happy loose" with the bike on the jiffy stand. If you are too tight, you will wear out the bearing on the output shaft of your tranny. There are numerous threads on here discussing just that issue.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Gene! Any difference using the belt tensioner from Free Spirits? I will re-research for more information on this subject.

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
Thanks for the info Gene! Any difference using the belt tensioner from Free Spirits? I will re-research for more information on this subject.
I don't have any first-hand experience with the Free Spirits tensioner, although I know some have had issues with bearings/springs/mounts. It is not even settled whether the XR even needs a tensioner at all. The measurements and geometry of the XR swingarm are identical to the XL sportys, and they don't have a tensioner. Scotty removed his and has run without one for years with no issues. I'm just repeating what has been posted here, these are NOT my opinions.
Cheers!

Couple of links:

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,627 Posts
Ok , with the tensioner I would run the belt a little loose and let the tensioner take up the slack.
That being said, when I had a Buell there was a flame war about them between two aftermarket suppliers.
One had ties to FreeSpirits and raced Buells. Their take on it was under hard braking it would put a load on the output shaft without one.
The other said it wasn't needed.
Some people had problems with bearings, but I always wondered if they had centered the pully wheel.
This was done with washers on each side.
I had one but never got it on the bike.
Wish I had more, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before I did my motor mounts the belt was deemed really loose even with the free spirit tensioner. On a couple occasions I felt a little clunk in the back when hard accelerating from a start. I was told the belt was way too loose so after the motor mounts were replaced with drag specialties motor mounts, the belt was adjusted correctly, and the results are no more clunk on acceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts