XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went from stock 6" rise to 2" rise handlebars. Sent Barnett an email. Got this.

Yes, we can custom make this cable for your bike. This would be in our black vinyl casing with chrome fittings. We would make the casing 4" shorter with the stock exposed wire length. Please see below for the part number and pricing. This price does not include any tax or shipping costs. We are currently taking 5 business days for manufacture.

PART #101-30-10020-4"

$63

link to email questions to get a part # for your needs:

http://www.barnettclutches.com/contact-us.html

They got back with me the same day.

·
Straights are only to get to the next corner
2,686 Posts
Isn't there a stock HD cable available from a Sportster model with lower bars like the 48? I would feel more comfortable with a stock HD part that I can get from every dealer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to 2 local HD dealers and both tried to sell me aftermarket parts. I asked them to see if there was a model with drag bars that had a brake line I could use instead but they kept pushing me toward aftermarket (which they would have to order, of course). A manufacturer that offers every freaking accessory you can hot glue to a motorcycle would rather sell me an aftermarket cable then make the effort to find a suitable HD replacement. Nice people just guess they were trained to operate that way.

Barnett has a solid reputation for a quality product, they respond quickly and are very reasonably price. I found a company on ebay will order and charge no shipping. Why not try.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey PeteW,

Did you bring it in? I went the same route with the bars and have been meaning to order in a cable to take up the slack. It's worked, but looks sloppy.

Also, I've noticed some pinching of the cable between the L steering stop and the frame. Seems the cable just wants to be there. Naturally not an issue during the ride but that where things go when the bike is on the side stand. Have you noticed this as well? My cable runs up the front frame section through clips between the oil cooler and the frame. It then follows the frame up and passes between the upper and lower triples on the R side of the headlight when you are looking from the front. I can't imagine there are differences in the routing but it never hurts to be comprehensive.

Cheers,

·
even Mrs. Yahootie got hit
244 Posts
I just went to shorter bars and used this clutch cable: 38663-00 - $26.39 at Surdykes.

It is about 4-5" shorter and works fine with the new Forty-Eight bars on my XR.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine pinched a bit too and also started leaking primary oil when on the stand (I've got ~2.5" rise shocks). A couple zip ties cured those issues, but I would like to get the correct length at some point--I do notice slightly more drag.

I just went to shorter bars and used this clutch cable: 38663-00 - $26.39 at Surdykes.
It is about 4-5" shorter and works fine with the new Forty-Eight bars on my XR.

That is a great deal, Archived!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey PeteW,

Did you bring it in?

No, I went to their website and emailed them what I was trying to do, 4" shorter than the stock cable. I dropped 4" of rise on the handlebar change but still used a thin tape measure to confirm the length.

Also, I've noticed some pinching of the cable between the L steering stop and the frame. Seems the cable just wants to be there. Naturally not an issue during the ride but that where things go when the bike is on the side stand. Have you noticed this as well? My cable runs up the front frame section through clips between the oil cooler and the frame. It then follows the frame up and passes between the upper and lower triples on the R side of the headlight when you are looking from the front. I can't imagine there are differences in the routing but it never hurts to be comprehensive.

Mine pretty much route the same way you described. Due to the extreme heat I haven't had a chance to change cables yet. I've never experienced any cable pinching.

Best regards

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wesk, post some pics of your cable routing. You're cable should not pinch IMO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Unfortuately, my XR is being held hostage in a separation mess (long story). So, photos are unavailable. I routed the cable along the stock path. It just seemed to find it's way against the steering block until I installed the new cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts