XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“All the Gear All the Time”
I’m guilty. As a young man I rode an enduro around in tennies, shorts and an open face helmet. Maybe age has something to do with it but once I began commuting every day it was ATGATT. Watching all the cars do their crazy stunts keeps you mindful that you could be picking yourself up off the ground at any time. I started commuting on an Adventure bike so crossover dirt bike gear was the norm. 3 season, multi layer, baggy stuff. After I moved to the XR and had the gift of commuting through the Angeles National Forest on some of the best motorcycling roads in the country I began to “hang it out” a little. That’s when I really started thinking. I’m sticking my knee out there and I don’t know where the knee pad is. There’s a pocket in there with a quality energy absorbing pad in it but with the loose pants who knows where it’s going to be if I need it. That and having read and seen pictures of the vented fabric,” Polytanium” or whatever creative name for plastic they can think of, melts at a very low temperature. Much lower than the temp that the friction between the cement roadway and the human body creates. Pictures of guys with their jackets melted to their arms came to mind.
——That’s when I took a page from the racer’s book and went with leather. A two piece for practicality on the street but able to be zipped together. I found out that this is an important feature and required by must race tracks. Knee, elbow, and shoulder pads held close to the body so they’re there when you need them. And a back pad. My suit came with a weak ass attempt at protection. A thin foam job in such an odd shape that there wasn’t anything like it in a higher quality unit. I had to find something with enough surface area that I could trace the shape on and cut it out myself.
——The helmet. There’s many opinions on the matter. The better you protect your head, the less chance you have for injury. Period. Face included. Helmets cost in the range of $1000.00 now. Crazy.
——Visibility. I’ve been wearing a HiVis vest with reflective stripes and have been told, by the medic on a job, that she saw me waaaaaaaaay up the road in the dark. Good to know that it works.
——Recently I found out how well all this stuff works and even with all the gear on the human body can only take so much before breaking so I thought I’d start a thread for people to post about what people put on to make them feel safe.(as safe as possible). I don’t know that I would change anything I wear to ride. We should consider an airbag vest but I don’t know enough about them.
Sleeve Grey Denim Font T-shirt

the back pad worked
Human body Sleeve Gesture Grey Knee

Tesla paint.
Land vehicle Vehicle Sports gear Helmet Motorcycle helmet

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Font

Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

World Font Circle Advertising Brand

Outerwear Shoulder Neck Sleeve Grey

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Joint Skin Hand Arm Shoulder

This is why they zip together.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,627 Posts
Bell helmet, Alpinestar jacket with a Alpinestar back protector, Icon boots, Joe Rocket gloves and Thor kevlar jeans.
Shoie helmet has saved my life ( 50mph and concrete curb)
Kevlar jeans work great until you get gravel inside them ( having a cute blond paramedic pick gravel out of your butt can be both embarrassing and good thing)
The Alpinestar has a areo hump, for the young go fast kids it is a areo hump, for us old guys it is extra padding for when we hit the ground. LOL😁

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bell helmet, Alpinestar jacket with a Alpinestar back protector, Icon boots, Joe Rocket gloves and Thor kevlar jeans.
Shoie helmet has saved my life ( 50mph and concrete curb)
Kevlar jeans work great until you get gravel inside them ( having a cute blond paramedic pick gravel out of your butt can be both embarrassing and good thing)
The Alpinestar has a areo hump, for the young go fast kids it is a areo hump, for us old guys it is extra padding for when we hit the ground. LOL😁
I like the one piece suits but most have the “hump”. Not compatible with a back pack……

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am glad you are ok. That is what is most important.

As to gear, I am still looking for a pair of pants that are comfortable, light, breathable, loose fitting, protective, armored, and don't make you look like a power ranger. I have been using the Klim jeans, which are pretty good, but are heavy and warm and don't zipper to the jacket. I also have a set of Dainese pants, which do zipper to the jacket, but not quite as comfortable as I would like.

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m sure I’ve told this story before, but when it came time to buy leather gear I went to a Powersports Superstore that had every kind of gear you can imagine. I really wanted the most expensive gear to fit. I tried on EVERYTHING And As it turns out, one of the lowest priced options fit the best and fortunately was of good enough quality to keep me safe….ish

·
Registered
79 Posts
Helmet, boots, gloves and armored jacket for warm weather, and a one-piece Aerostich suit (probably one of the first made, circa 1985) for cooler rides, fortunately none of which I have had to impact test.

Spent many a Sunday morning going up and down the Crest, usually stopping at Newcomb's Ranch, or at the Rock Store in the Malibu hills. Fond memories.

My home state (after many years of lobbying) finally passed a "helmet not needed if you are over 25 and have medical insurance" law in 8/2020, purportedly due to motorcycle tourists bypassing here in favor of neighboring states with a similar law. After wearing one for 41 years, my take is...no way!

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Topics like this can never get old and the older you get the more you realize the more protection you need because we don’t bend like Gumby Damnit, as we did when we were young. I love my Kali Protectives Helmet, RaceGloves full l Length, and I have another pair of Racer Gloves Taft are shorter. Both have ample protection. Tried many on, and can’t get anything to match my collection of NJK Leather Jacket. Reflective, lower in the back sow it doesn’t hike up at speed, shoulder, elbow, and back protection, vented in the front and back. Pants are Tourmaster 2.0 Air Pants with 2 removable layers with knee pads(plastic) and hip padding. Both sets of boots are Sidi (Vertigo and fully vented air). If it is too hot to wear all the gear, then I won’t ride. I too ride with a back pack.

Ride for the fall, because there are those that have gone down, and those that will. 3 times on the street, and absolutely zero downs for the 6 years I raced wearing more protection.

Thank you Dwight for posting this. I will ridedown to your area sometime, and do Angeles Crest like I did back when I lived on OC.

Reactions: murphydog

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
“All the Gear All the Time”
I’m guilty. As a young man I rode an enduro around in tennies, shorts and an open face helmet. Maybe age has something to do with it but once I began commuting every day it was ATGATT. Watching all the cars do their crazy stunts keeps you mindful that you could be picking yourself up off the ground at any time. I started commuting on an Adventure bike so crossover dirt bike gear was the norm. 3 season, multi layer, baggy stuff. After I moved to the XR and had the gift of commuting through the Angeles National Forest on some of the best motorcycling roads in the country I began to “hang it out” a little. That’s when I really started thinking. I’m sticking my knee out there and I don’t know where the knee pad is. There’s a pocket in there with a quality energy absorbing pad in it but with the loose pants who knows where it’s going to be if I need it. That and having read and seen pictures of the vented fabric,” Polytanium” or whatever creative name for plastic they can think of, melts at a very low temperature. Much lower than the temp that the friction between the cement roadway and the human body creates. Pictures of guys with their jackets melted to their arms came to mind.
——That’s when I took a page from the racer’s book and went with leather. A two piece for practicality on the street but able to be zipped together. I found out that this is an important feature and required by must race tracks. Knee, elbow, and shoulder pads held close to the body so they’re there when you need them. And a back pad. My suit came with a weak ass attempt at protection. A thin foam job in such an odd shape that there wasn’t anything like it in a higher quality unit. I had to find something with enough surface area that I could trace the shape on and cut it out myself.
——The helmet. There’s many opinions on the matter. The better you protect your head, the less chance you have for injury. Period. Face included. Helmets cost in the range of $1000.00 now. Crazy.
——Visibility. I’ve been wearing a HiVis vest with reflective stripes and have been told, by the medic on a job, that she saw me waaaaaaaaay up the road in the dark. Good to know that it works.
——Recently I found out how well all this stuff works and even with all the gear on the human body can only take so much before breaking so I thought I’d start a thread for people to post about what people put on to make them feel safe.(as safe as possible). I don’t know that I would change anything I wear to ride. We should consider an airbag vest but I don’t know enough about them.
View attachment 251466
the back pad worked
View attachment 251467
Tesla paint.
View attachment 251468
View attachment 251470
View attachment 251469
View attachment 251472
View attachment 251465
View attachment 251471
This is why they zip together.
Notice this diagram shows almost exactly a 66% chance of a frontal/frontal-temporal area of impact in your next off. I use a modular Nolan helmet and often enjoy slower speed riding through the burbs with the chin piece up, ie. my face exposed if not forehead.
As much as I enjoy the fresh air, I may have to rethink that approach...

J.

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Helmet, boots, gloves and armored jacket for warm weather, and a one-piece Aerostich suit (probably one of the first made, circa 1985) for cooler rides, fortunately none of which I have had to impact test.

Spent many a Sunday morning going up and down the Crest, usually stopping at Newcomb's Ranch, or at the Rock Store in the Malibu hills. Fond memories.

My home state (after many years of lobbying) finally passed a "helmet not needed if you are over 25 and have medical insurance" law in 8/2020, purportedly due to motorcycle tourists bypassing here in favor of neighboring states with a similar law. After wearing one for 41 years, my take is...no way!
Unfortunately murphydog Sundays in the ”Crest” have changed. Road bikers in large packs riding 2 and 3 wide climbing up the hill with no regard for their safety or anyone else’s is standard followed by sightseers of all ethnic backgrounds with a wide array of driving skills from none to barely any. Off limits for me. Saturday is better. Midweek and midday is best.
——Why anyone would ride with no protection on their melon is beyond me. My brother was a pretty crazy guy as a kid and while I never really looked up to him I wouldn’t turn him down if he asked me to do something with him. We hopped on his Honda 750four, two up, without helmets to go “just down the street”. He was a maniac and we ate shit. I was all busted up but he had no visible injuries. We were laying in the hospital next to each other on our gurneys and he had blood coming out of his ear. I had broken bones and he ended up staying in the hospital longer than I did. He fractured his skull from temple to temple. To this day I’m sure if he had been wearing his helmet he would have walked away basically unhurt.
——I cringe whenever I visit another state and see dudes flying down the highway without a helmet. I think New Mexico was the last place I saw such lunacy. What if a damn Jackalope runs out in front of you?!?!?!

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,627 Posts
I don't understand why people won't wear a full face helmet.
In the last few years I have lost two friends due to head injuries while wearing open face helmets in town.
Both skilled and long time riders.
My best friend and I had many long talks about helmets.
He bought his first full face this spring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Unfortunately murphydog Sundays in the ”Crest” have changed. Road bikers in large packs riding 2 and 3 wide climbing up the hill with no regard for their safety or anyone else’s is standard followed by sightseers of all ethnic backgrounds with a wide array of driving skills from none to barely any. Off limits for me. Saturday is better. Midweek and midday is best.
——Why anyone would ride with no protection on their melon is beyond me. My brother was a pretty crazy guy as a kid and while I never really looked up to him I wouldn’t turn him down if he asked me to do something with him. We hopped on his Honda 750four, two up, without helmets to go “just down the street”. He was a maniac and we ate shit. I was all busted up but he had no visible injuries. We were laying in the hospital next to each other on our gurneys and he had blood coming out of his ear. I had broken bones and he ended up staying in the hospital longer than I did. He fractured his skull from temple to temple. To this day I’m sure if he had been wearing his helmet he would have walked away basically unhurt.
——I cringe whenever I visit another state and see dudes flying down the highway without a helmet. I think New Mexico was the last place I saw such lunacy. What if a damn Jackalope runs out in front of you?!?!?!
My last riding in those areas is now pushing 20 years ago. I am now in the safer but less twisty Midwest. I can imagine how things are there now, with many more people and riders of dubious skills (we used to call them "squids").

Sounds as though your brother had a "basilar skull fracture" from your description, a very serious traumatic injury.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My last riding in those areas is now pushing 20 years ago. I am now in the safer but less twisty Midwest. I can imagine how things are there now, with many more people and riders of dubious skills (we used to call them "squids").

Sounds as though your brother had a "basilar skull fracture" from your description, a very serious traumatic injury.

Yup! When I was back home I spent 11 years in the back of an ambulance. Full face helmet no matter what for me. I think it's something like 60% of all damage to helmets comes from the area covered by the full face, whereas the back and top rarely receive damage.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Count me in as one of those that can't ride without certain pieces of gear.

Full face: Shoei RF1200.
Jackets: 20+ year old HJC leather, Rev-It summer mesh, or a HD 3-season textile (which I love).
Gloves: Rev-it adv-style gauntlets, or HD cuff-style leathers.
Pants: A couple of motorcycle specific ones.
Boots: Steel toe timbo's.

I live in Mass which borders at least 2 states that do not have helmet laws. I gave it a try a couple times in my younger sportbike days - mainly when cruising the beach strip in NH... but it's not for me.

Speaking of heat like Timbit mentioned - at times having a ton of gear on kind of insulates you from the heat. Don't get me wrong, things can get bad. But I don't find stopping at traffic lights on 90+* days to be as bad as non-motorcycle people might think.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Fell off a RD125 twin on black ice when I was 17 and a learner, laughing at my mate who had just fallen off his moped on the same patch of black ice. Only slide a couple of feet but must've dragged my chin on the ground because there was a big gouge on the chin bar of my fullface, from then on I've always worn a fullface!

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
I've gone down a number of times. Mostly on the track. I know how well the gear works.

I'll still ride in a t-shirt and helmetless, when I can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts