XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Feel the Thunder
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a issue with a hesitation when riding steady at 3000 rpm. It is very annoying. I have Remus full system, Pipercross filter, and X-ieds. The only why to stop it is to find a gas station that sells gas with no ethenol added. I can actually use 87 octang and not have the hesitation. Now I am adding Klotz fuel additive to help it because it is a crap shoot to find 100% fuel. Any ideas or fixes would be appreciated. Thank you

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Remove the XIED's and give it a run round and see if that makes any difference, maybe one of them is faulty.
As far as the fuel thing goes, we only have 95 RON (92 octane) and 97 RON (94 octane) fuel, so i cant comment on that.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
hmmmmmm

This is new.....I haven't heard anything about it.

It definately sounds fuel related....I've kept mine running on 92 octane and it pulls strong, no hesitation, from 0 to 6800!

This will be an interesting thread to watch....

·
7,305 Posts
I wouldn't have thought the lower octane fuel was gonna do the XR a lot of favors, with the higher compression and weak A/F ratio...like i said i dunno for sure we dont have 87 octane.

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
10:1 Compression ratio yes. 87 octane no.

·
7,305 Posts
i Quote from the handbook......

"Some gasoline brands might adversely affect the drivability, starting or fuel efficiency of the motorcycle. If any of these problems are experienced, try a different gasoline brand or gasoline with a higher octane blend"

It also recommends 91 octane.

G

·
I have noticed a bit of hesitation on a partly open throttle at about 2500 - 3500 on mine, but I think it's more down to a combination of a slack-ass throttle and bumps in the road

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Good gas is important for sure. The hesitation you are talking about is the result of the stock mixture being super lean. My bike had the same problem untill I installed the SERT and had it tuned. The lean condition is caused by the tuning necessary for epa readings. :D Later,

·
Like a Blister in the Sun
80 Posts
I am having a issue with a hesitation when riding steady at 3000 rpm. It is very annoying. I have Remus full system, Pipercross filter, and X-ieds. The only why to stop it is to find a gas station that sells gas with no ethenol added. I can actually use 87 octang and not have the hesitation. Now I am adding Klotz fuel additive to help it because it is a crap shoot to find 100% fuel. Any ideas or fixes would be appreciated. Thank you
You need a tuner, with the pipe and filter the XIEDs just aren't enough.

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
I had the stumble at 3K with pipe,filter and Xieds. SERT fixed that.

G

·
You need a tuner, with the pipe and filter the XIEDs just aren't enough.
No problem on mine too...Xieds are fine!
But then again my bike always gets 98 octane fuel :D

on the other hand octane rating should not be a problem at 3000rpm's unless you give it full load.
Maybe a faulty Xied?

·
Just need some extra time and a real long road.
258 Posts
Ummmm....

Hi Guys,

Please pardon the ignorance, but could someone please elaborate as to what an Xied is? And what it does in the context of these posts?

I have heard it mentioned on more than one occasion, and because I have only been riding for 4 years, I am feeling a bit clueless.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Feel the Thunder
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
xied explain

The Xieds are best explained on the knightrider.com hes the one who makes them.

Hi Guys,

Please pardon the ignorance, but could someone please elaborate as to what an Xied is? And what it does in the context of these posts?

I have heard it mentioned on more than one occasion, and because I have only been riding for 4 years, I am feeling a bit clueless.

Thanks,

Rick

·
7,305 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Rick
Basically its a resistor that goes between the signal the o2 sensor on your exhaust and the little computer unit that controls your fuel injection. It tells the computer a lie so the computer will inject a little more fuel causing the bike to run slightly richer and so a little cooler.

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Some light on a black art

Rick B, I have only known about Xied's for a few months, since all of my experience is with carbs and not EFI. In a nutshell the Xieds are a small harness that is installed in line between the O2 sensors and the ECM that "fool" the ECM into believing the fuel mixture is too lean, and therefore the ECM adjusts the fuel injection to add more fuel, changing the AFR from 14.7 to a richer 13.8. In my case a stumble at low end when throttle is opened quickly has gone, and a lean surge while running at partial throttle is also gone.

Several of us have also noted a "richer, throatier" sound after installation. Cost approx $100.00 Install time 5 to 10 min.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.