XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying an XR on Saturday. Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the XRs. I'm parting with my 06 XL1200C (92,000 kms.) and I've had some issues with it. 4 starter drives, 2 belts, all the wheel bearings, rear pulley, head gasket and the voltage regulator.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
My XR has been Flawless. No warranty claims. No problems. You'll love it! :clap: Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wriath,
Ya you'll need to get some Pig Snot polish to get rid of the drool that builds up from onlookers at your stops!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had no problems with my XR1200, except for the fact that I cant stay off the thing. I am currently on extended sick leave due to my latest shoulder joint replacement operation, my surgeon instructed me to not to ride for three months. I cracked and went for a quick 200km ride last night, one month, one day after the op. I couldnt wait anylonger. Nothing like a quick night ride on my own to chase the blues away.:tank:

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Problems? What problems?

~

The only problems I have had are...

One, there seemed to be a lot more loose nuts and bolts than I can ever remember from a factory built motorcycle before. Note, I am not talking about nuts and bolts the dealer would have been tightening in their assembly of the bike from the crate. I am talking about engine mount bolts, etc. Check EVERYTHING when you get it home. Doing so will also net you a smoother running motorcycle, too. The left footpeg and an engine mount bolt were loose on mine, and tightening them up smoothed the vibes considerably.

Two, the stock rear shocks are useful only to keep the rear tire from rubbing a hole in the rear bodywork during shipment. It honestly is staggering just how bad they are, but of course you won't know it until you install a good set of rear shocks. As soon as you do you will understand exactly what I mean... Improved ride, better control, and vastly better handling. Make sure you budget for new shocks when you buy the bike.

Three, what some dealers charge for the first check-up at 1000 miles. From what has been posted here on this group you will find that many a dealer will simply try and rob you blind for that 1000 miles service... Budget accordingly, and then plan on doing your own oil changes, etc.

Other than that my XR1200 has been one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned as far as reliability and having no problems whatsoever from the get-go.

It's great! :clap:

Dallara

~

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Only about 2,000 miles with no problems, well ok, after my last ride, there was some oil on the boot between the throttle body and the airbox. Cleaned it up, will deal with the inside of box later.

I have had a problem with people looking at the bike, and asking questions, seems the ladies are interested too, so I don't mind spending some time answering questions.:innocent:

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
I'm buying an XR on Saturday. Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the XRs. I'm parting with my 06 XL1200C (92,000 kms.) and I've had some issues with it. 4 starter drives, 2 belts, all the wheel bearings, rear pulley, head gasket and the voltage regulator.
No mechanical problems. Budget for new tires before 2500 mi. Lots of ideas for shocks, pipes, mirrors, etc. on this forum. Then get ready to answer the questions about that silly grin on your face.:)

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
~

One, there seemed to be a lot more loose nuts and bolts than I can ever remember from a factory built motorcycle before. Note, I am not talking about nuts and bolts the dealer would have been tightening in their assembly of the bike from the crate. I am talking about engine mount bolts, etc. Check EVERYTHING when you get it home. ~
That's some great advice....but don't stop there. I continually find loose nuts and bolts on my XR.

~ Two, the stock rear shocks are useful only to keep the rear tire from rubbing a hole in the rear bodywork during shipment. ~
lol.....when you remove them make sure you put them somewhere out of the reach of small children.....they're dangerous :nono:

~Other than that my XR1200 has been one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned as far as reliability and having no problems whatsoever from the get-go.~

+1 :angel:

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
The mufflers tend to leak where they slip onto the head pipes. Have noticed others with the same affliction. Mine leaked from the factory and the warranty worked made it better but they still leak. Not bad, just get the pipe a little dirty. Will be changing soon anyway as soon as I finish our prototypes.
Small Oil leak under the oil pump cover on one of the lines going to the oil cooler. The dealer "fixed" it under warranty so that now it leaks worse. Will attempt again.
No other issues - No loose bolts etc.
I agree the rear shocks are piss poor, but what Harley ever has had decent shocks? The ones on the rear of my 09 Street Glide will knock your fillings out, these aren't that bad :whistling: And the 99 Dyna Wide Glide shocks were a joke as were all of the Softails so I guess I come to expect it. Even my 96 XL1200S with the reservoir shocks were not too great.

·
Registered
507 Posts
~

One, there seemed to be a lot more loose nuts and bolts than I can ever remember from a factory built motorcycle before. Note, I am not talking about nuts and bolts the dealer would have been tightening in their assembly of the bike from the crate. I am talking about engine mount bolts, etc.

Dallara

~
Me too. Ive found an unusual number of loose bolts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a loose footrest bolt - other'n that, it's been fine. Saying that, I am keeping an eye on a couple of tiny oil leaks to see if it's growing pains.............

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Especially the one holding the handlebars.:whistling:
Now that's funny! ....oh, and plus one on the loose left footpeg...blue locktite fixed it ... [:)]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After the 1k service.

Whining noise coming from rear of bike...tensioner, belt, tire. Hell I don't know.

Have to ask the dealer about it.

Couple of others reported this problem on the XLforum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have leaking rocker covers...had it to the dealer..rear one is ok now...front one worse,

primary chain was to loose when I got it (from dealer),

left peg rattled loose after about 500km...

no other problems

·
certified tool
51 Posts
I've had both rocker boxes leak, shifter shaft leak, exhaust leak, something leaking around some oil lines, and now my fuel tank cover does not fit properly:(
Rocker boxes and shifter shaft seal seem to be fixed now. You'd think being a Service Manager @ a H-D dealer my bike would be in top form, but I often put repairs off on mine to take care of my customers:)

But it would take alot more issues for me to not recommend this bike to someone. I freakin love this bike!!!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.