XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, and am only seeing older posts about replacement 17" Front wheel for the XR1200. This would be on my list of things to do when I get XR1200 in about 4-5 months. Can the front be replaced with a matching style of the rear, or does both wheels need to be replaced? I am not looking to got the spoked wheel route.

Thanks in advance!

·
Let's Ride
125 Posts
I'm in search of wheels at the moment and have found you will be better off trying to find the front and rear set (match wise). As you can see by any pics of a racing XR, they replaced the front wheel only, in a lot of cases. Vance & Hines had a wheel back then, not sure if they still have any - I highly doubt it. Storz does not sell the spoke wheels anymore but are still on his website. I emailed a guy today at Harris performance, in the UK, and he is checking on PVM's for me, to see if they are still available. Hopefully I will hear back from him on Monday. BST has a carbon fiber wheel set that starts at $4000.00. I'm not having very much luck finding anything so far.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in search of wheels at the moment and have found you will be better off trying to find the front and rear set (match wise). As you can see by any pics of a racing XR, they replaced the front wheel only, in a lot of cases. Vance & Hines had a wheel back then, not sure if they still have any - I highly doubt it. Storz does not sell the spoke wheels anymore but are still on his website. I emailed a guy today at Harris performance, in the UK, and he is checking on PVM's for me, to see if they are still available. Hopefully I will hear back from him on Monday. BST has a carbon fiber wheel set that starts at $4000.00. I'm not having very much luck finding anything so far.
I saw those wheels talked about in earlier posts here, and couldn’t find any newer info. Yes, carbon fiber wheels will be way to pricey for me. If not available then the stock 18” will have to do. Thanks for the reply and information.

·
used ta could
1,766 Posts
CoryDSFA I’m afraid the information curve on the XR1200 peaked about 8 years ago. Thankfully we have this awesome collection of ideas right here. It’s all been done before and “new” stuff probably isn’t on the way. That’s the price we pay for loving a “classic”. Haha. I think the three choices left are......pay one arm and one leg for new carbon fiber units, luck into a used 17” front wheel or pair (also a chunk of change), or find a sport bike wheel that’s close and make, or have made, the needed spacers. Each of these choices requires considerable commitment either financially or in time. It’s totally worth it though. Don’t give up. Buell came the closest with a similar (to the XR) 3 spoke design and matching brake rotor bolt pattern. Blight gave us the needed info to make a Buell 17”er fit.
17 inch front wheel?
Blight gave us a lot of good stuff. Time spent riding with the stock front wheel gave me a greater appreciation for the benefits of the smaller wheel. Take your time. Like they say in NOLA, “Take it easy baby”

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CoryDSFA I’m afraid the information curve on the XR1200 peaked about 8 years ago. Thankfully we have this awesome collection of ideas right here. It’s all been done before and “new” stuff probably isn’t on the way. That’s the price we pay for loving a “classic”. Haha. I think the three choices left are......pay one arm and one leg for new carbon fiber units, luck into a used 17” front wheel or pair (also a chunk of change), or find a sport bike wheel that’s close and make, or have made, the needed spacers. Each of these choices requires considerable commitment either financially or in time. It’s totally worth it though. Don’t give up. Buell came the closest with a similar (to the XR) 3 spoke design and matching brake rotor bolt pattern. Blight gave us the needed info to make a Buell 17”er fit.
17 inch front wheel?
Blight gave us a lot of good stuff. Time spent riding with the stock front wheel gave me a greater appreciation for the benefits of the smaller wheel. Take your time. Like they say in NOLA, “Take it easy baby”
Great explanation! I completely understand what you mean. Thank you for the feedback.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
I'm suprised the BST cf wheel is $4K, didn't think they were more than $1600 s at Brocks Performance who sell them in the US. Even so, that's pricey but I consider the 17" cf BST front wheel I put on my XR 4 months ago one of the best mods I ever did. Just 4.1 kg less front wheel mass and unsprung weight vs. the stock rim with the same tire, but the whole plot feels like I took an invisible 75 lb passenger off the back. Mid range passing power on the freeway, readiness to roll over in corners, & braking, all noticeably amped up. Very tempted to look out for a matching rear now although the cost to benefit ratio is likely worse. Strong buy from me.

J.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Nb. The new format doesn't seem to allow editing so I've had to add another post. I suggest the cheapest way to go 17" is probably adapting an exisiting sportbike wheel, as yt has said above. Get your rim width similar of course. Or go the whole hog and put a complete forks & 17" wheel combo in. A skilled custom bike builder or machine shop could advise you and probably do the work. Sniff around and see what's possible.

J.

·
Registered
693 Posts
"Nb. The new format doesn't seem to allow editing so I've had to add another post". Shackman

John if you look at the top right of your post, there are Three dots, click on it to edit your post.

Jim

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,168 Posts
I believe you can still get wheels from Twinmotorcycles in Holland.
They have a lot of stuff for the XR

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe you can still get wheels from Twinmotorcycles in Holland.
They have a lot of stuff for the XR
Whether or not wheels are available, that is a great parts link. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As i said before.A Suzuki GSX-R Frt.Wheel will fit if you close with a set of Wrenches and a Lathe.
Wheel with 300mm Rotors in the 200,-$ Areat,some fitting Bearings and new Bushings.
Its a devils game but i like it.....))));)and cheapo but allways in the 400,-$ Range.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As i said before.A Suzuki GSX-R Wheel will fit if you close with a set of Wrenches and a Lathe.wheel with 300mm Rotors in the 200,-$ Areat,some fitting Bearings and new Bushing.Its a devils game but i like it.....))));)
Thank you and I appreciate your information.

·
Let's Ride
125 Posts
Well, I am a Machinist, so if we can find out which wheels are "close" to what we need I can probably make the needed spacers, adapters, etc. we need to mount a different wheel.
Any ideas out there?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I am a Machinist, so if we can find out which wheels are "close" to what we need I can probably make the needed spacers, adapters, etc. we need to mount a different wheel.
Any ideas out there?

Chipmaker, do you live in the states?

***EDITED
After reading other posts, I see you are in Alabama.

·
Let's Ride
125 Posts
What I have found so far.... I got a price back from Harris Perf on the PVM 6 spoke wheels on their website. They are 1500 (pounds) for a set ($2100.00 usd). They are made to accept the original equipment and delivery is approx. 12 weeks.
Anyone's thoughts on these wheels?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are these the ones?

·
Let's Ride
125 Posts
Yes sir! The hubs may look a little different. But they are supposed to be for original equipment/parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts