XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for disc lock system. I don't know what to chose there are so many too choose from.

I've seen this one:

And this one:

Any thoughts or other model suggested?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I got the first type. 000884. Maybe not that brand, but that type. I put an orange cable on the lock and run it up to the handlebars so i don’t accidentally take off with the lock still in the disc. Not that i would really do that mind you. Hahaha. But i like this lock.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have, and used to use, Abus Detecto 7000 RS1 Brake Disc Lock. After tax that is $200 worth of protection. I don't bother to use it any more as I have since learned that if your bike is to be stolen, it will be. I use insurance instead now. My workplace has a large employee base, therefore a large number of vehicles in parking lot. Because of this, it is targeted by professional car theft groups. New trucks are the usual target, but in past stolen truck has had motorcycles thrown into truck box before leaving. I don't believe anything can really keep your bike safe, so you insure it for theft.

Reactions: raven and roadrash

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used Masterlock, Bully and Kryptonite disc locks. Using a reminder cable that extends from the lock to the grip is a MUST DO. I didn't once and that's all it takes, lesson learned. While it's true that pro-thieves will ultimately steal your bike if they want it badly enough, many others will see the lock and pass it up. Most thieves are looking for a fast getaway.
Some of the lock pins that go through the brake disc hole are only a 1/4 inch, others are 3/8 that pin through a slotted area on the disc. Bigger is better, or so I'm told. I keep one around but only use it if I'm away from the bike for an extended period. With the XR, that doesn't seem to happen much. Being disabled roadside, having to leave the bike, for sure you should have it. When will it save the day and deter the bad guy? You'll never know if you use one.
Personally, I like the Krpto half-loop ones.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
I use a Kovix disc lock with its own alarm (claimed 120 db at 1 meter, although I've got my doubts it's that loud). Where I used to park at my hospital, a friend had his Triumph 675 Street Triple stolen a couple of years ago. He was pretty casual & didn't bother with an external lock, and that model & year didn't have an immobiliser or alarm, and is just a welter weight at ~ 420 lb. The thieves were caught on a security camera in a public access area outside the Emergency Dept lifting up the bike between 2 big guys, one with a rope harness around the steering head and the other holding the rear upright as they quickly wheeled the bike to the back of a utility and bundled it in, then got out of Dodge. All over in about 30 seconds. I started using a second lock through the rear disc after that. Now I park in a much more enclosed area behind a boom gate which requires a swipe card to get through. Turns out all that weight in an XR is good for something. But disc locks are more of a deterrent than anything else. If you check the Lock Picking Lawyer vids on YT, he easily & quietly defeats them with an Easy - Out type tool inserted in the slot of the disc lock plus a bit of muscle. I'm trusting in the combo of card secured boom gate, the Kovix lock and the XR alarm/immobiliser.

J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts