XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Back in Black
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, after a 25 year break, I own a motorcycle again. back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s I owned several bikes, starting with a Bonneville 650, and the last a KZ650. Loved those quick tossable bikes. Then life intervened and I went without wind in my face for a couple decades.

I got the fever to own a bike again a few weeks ago. I hit Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki, rode some of the current offerings, not really liking any of them. Technically advanced, but they didn't look like the bikes of my memory, or sit like them either. Then I decided to drop by the Harley shop.

Hmmm, what's this bike right up front by the door? Doesn't look much like a Harley. Looks like a real sports bike from my era. XR1200. Threw a leg over it. Yep, I like this. A short time later, I'm riding it home in the rain in my new Harley rainwear. :D

It's true what they say, once you learn to ride a bike, it is like falling off a stepladder, you never really forget how to do it. I was a little wobbly at first, but within a couple of miles it was all coming back to me.

Now that I've spent a little time on the bike, I realize I need to learn quite a bit from more experienced riders. So I've been chasing around the internet looking in here and there for a place to talk about this bike. This place looked good, so here I am.

Some particulars. I'm 60, single, and live near Lawrenceville, Georgia (just outside Atlanta for those not familiar with the area). I work in downtown Atlanta. I expect to commute on the bike once I get past the break in miles. For now I'm just putting around the neighborhood getting used to the bike and putting some miles on it.

Oh, and BTW, I also drive a Corvette. That was another dream fulfilled. I'm too old for a mid-life crisis, lets just call it a second childhood, though I don't believe I ever outgrew my first one. :D

·
Will work for tacos
446 Posts
were gonna have to let HD know they cant sell anymore XR's in Ga....lol just kidding. Welcome to the forum we have a good bit of us here from GA. A few around atlanta and Im in LaFayette and I forget where the rest of us are. You mentioned you got your XR but forgot to say which color! lol welcome again.:clap:

·
Back in Black
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is black, it is what they had. I considered orange. It looks dynamite on the brochure, but they had an orange bike on the floor, not a XR1200, which was not so dynamite under the fluorescents in the showroom. On the brochure, the orange has a reddish cast, but on the floor under the lights it had a yellowish cast I didn't find attractive.

Now that I've read a bit of the history for why the orange, I sort of wish I'd have held out for that color. But black is always beautiful.

·
Will work for tacos
446 Posts
Im not much on history :) Same with all the retro cars coming out. I like it for what it is not what it was or in the cars cases i dont like them now but I did the classic ones. Anyway Ive got a black one too. I think you made a good color choice :clap:

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Georgia on my mind...

What is up with you Georgia boyz? There's already too many of ya on here! [:)] Me and longbow are the only Bama boyz on here defending the honor of our state....but that's ok 'cause longbow has a badass helicopter!

Welcome to the site! Sorry about the color of your XR....the good news is all you gotta do to fix it is put on an Orange tank cover and seat pan.....adds 10 hp!

Think of your Black XR like the black jerseys the Bulldogs wore when they played the Tide last year.....how'd that work out for y'all? [:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.