XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
09 xr1200 fast orange
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read through a few posts about this topic and before I start switching too many parts I'm just looking for some advice on my issue.

So my bike lost power twice going down the road one day with no signs of problems before it happened. Just seemed electrical and the check engine light has stayed on since it happened.

I cleaned all connections in the fuse box and battery as the grease on the fuses seemed dirty and quite old. So after I brushed clean all the fuses and reinstalled with some grease I decided to look at the codes, CEL still on. And came up with, P0261 P0263 and P1003, with the latter likely from me cleaning them. I cleared the historic codes and the first two remained. The relays appeared fine but with them available at the nearby parts store I'm going to change them anyhow. Could a bad relay be causing the first two codes? If so wouldn't code P1003 remain after clearing codes? It seemed like people were saying replacing those relays solves the problem and I'm hoping that'll be my case as the weather is just too beautiful for my bike to be sittin there all alone lol..

Thanks in advance! Glad to finally be a member here.

Following the advice from some other threads I replaced the two relays that control the fuel injectors. I can't remember the old part numbers but I used #19997 relays from the local AutoZone and they seem to be working just fine. I put about 4-5 hours on the bike since the change and it's running strong. Strange how both went bad at the same time but now I know I gotta stock up on spare fuses and relays.
 

·
the older I get.the faster I was
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Check the battery and the cables, they have been known to come loose, causing all sorts of problems.
 

·
Registered
09 xr1200 fast orange
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. The bike looks clean as can be, like garage kept it's whole life kinda clean but I still cleaned and reconnected everything. Still though the codes were persistent. However after I changed the two relays in the fuse box it appears my problem went away. The CEL is not on and there are no codes, though I haven't driven it yet. So I will post more on this tomorrow after a test ride. Hopefully those relays did the trick, I miss riding my bike.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top