XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been done by some others, but I just tried this exhaust mod on my bike.

As opposed to Deb's internal exhaust mod, this approach simply drills a hole in the end plate of each exhaust. You can pick the hole size for your tuning and or sound desires. If you are concerned about TQ and tuning, it's probably best to start small and see the change before going bigger.

To do the mod, simply drill a hole in the end of each exhaust. The black end plate is a single flat sheet of metal. It will look like this when done:

I marked the centers vertically, to mirror the center of the exhaust's exit tubes. Also - I drilled the holes with the pipes off the bike. If you want the drilled holes to line up, mark your centers with the pipes mounted so that you can line them up left to right.

Also, stealing Redbeard7's artwork for Deb's mod, here is what is happening inside the pipe:

The drilled hole will let some exhaust exit straight down the first pass of the exhaust. The remaining exhaust will exit in its normal path. I drilled my hole large enough to let an AFR probe from a dyno be inserted for later tuning. Since I have a TMax on the bike now, I know that my AFR mixture is still going to be the same with the additional holes as it was with the unmodified pipe.

To me, the sound is nice, not too loud but a bit throatier. And, if I don't like the performance change I'll just thread a couple of screws into the holes.

Attachments

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Phaedrus, Noticed the same thing when I put on the SERT and then my QD's showded up. Drilling for the exaust sniffers makes more top end power than the QD's but the low end is not as good. QD's low weight equals more power. Oh well. :D Later,

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and you keep those ugly mufflers with their oh so shameful welds they have...mine had even rust on them when I picked up the bike at the dealer!!!

In my honest opinion those mufflers aren't worth to be worked on...but at least you get some more sound now...

:)

·
Registered
507 Posts
and you keep those ugly mufflers with their oh so shameful welds they have...mine had even rust on them when I picked up the bike at the dealer!!!

In my honest opinion those mufflers aren't worth to be worked on...but at least you get some more sound now...

:)
I am going to glue a piece of green indoor/outdoor carpet to the end of my mufflers. Will hide the welds and make them look like a putt putt golf hole.

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
I am going to glue a piece of green indoor/outdoor carpet to the end of my mufflers. Will hide the welds and make them look like a putt putt golf hole.
nicely posted!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Old thread....))))

Today i got my oem Exaust back.New Internals,V&H Dampers and Extension to fit inside the Conus as oem.
Dampers are fixed by 3 small screws to remove quick.I dont know how this will work or sound but first i have to fit all the parts right before the Black-Can comes to action.OEM Look is my goal.

Will report.

XR-X Exauast Insert 001 (Large).jpg View attachment 233948 XR-X Exauast Insert 007 (Large).jpg XR-X Exauast Insert 005 (Large).jpg

·
Braap!
241 Posts
Nice!! I do think the OEM cans look great.

I've got a set of D&D slip-ons I recently rebuilt. They sound great, but I love the look and fit of the stock cans. Would love to hear how they sound, and your impressions of them once they're mounted up.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Okay,today i took the chance to put my modified Ex.Cans on.Sounds okay to me(and my neighbours?).
due to Rain no Test ride today but in the backyard well.sounds great,as i want it.No Harley roaring just sporty and very deep and Masculine.No need to spend 1000,- $ + up for some more ,
,,,,you hear me coming?okay ,im here,.Lets see whats the Dyno says next.
Looks like origin,i found pictures from the very first Test mules,they had Dampers like this.

XR EX 003.jpg View attachment 235140

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
First ride today,rain stops for a while.
80db and 92 db Standart at 3000 U/min with OEM Exaust.
82 db and 95 db at 3000 U/min with modified.Feels as ever at all Gears,no banging.Steady run and deep Growling when commuting around.No turning heads of Pedestrians....))))).Thats what i want.

View attachment 235142

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Tx,this was the cheapest way to let the XRX Roar comparing to here raci Look.

At last the weight of the OEM Exaust ist still there so i will change to a SEBRING 2-1 next season.My goal was allways a V&H Exaust but i dont want to violate to much Reguations .
For this kind of fun i just have to activate my ol Sportster 1000....)))).:)

Heres the Vid with a Test Mule.Bad Quality but the Driver knows what he,s doing....))).
In som short sequences you can see the Mid Damper....))
The Sound says its a Pre Series Bike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts