XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you have heard, I kitted my XR with the Remus exhaust system, Adrenalin air scoop, piper air filter, and Xieds.

I mulled over the Power Commander/Xied/TTS/SERT/ Thundermax choices and opted for the here and now of the SERT.

I went in for my 1k mile service, and scheduled a SERT Dyno session. I removed the xieds and handed her over to Phil at HD New Orleans.

Base pull was 71 RWHP, too lean without the Xieds I guess. The end result was 90 RWHP, which I am told equates to 108-110 at the crank (I don't know the loss % formula).

I hope the oversize scoop gives me 1+ hp at speed with the ram effect so that I can claim 91 real world HP. My question now is what other mods are the guys in Spain doing to get 100 RWHP for the BBQ Series.

I havent picked it up yet, this is the over the phone report from Phil. I forgot to ask about torque numbers but will post all after I pick it up in the morning.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
That certainly confirms what I was thinking on the other (exhaust) thread. Your dyno figure is around 5bhp up on Bill's, with similar extras fitted. The only real difference is that you have a full system and he has used the stock header pipes married to an aftermarket link pipe/can.

90bhp at the rear wheel is actually a VERY good figure and better than most Buell XB12's make at the rear wheel in stock form (The company 103bhp claims for the XB12 are at the crank, so 83-85 is common at the back wheel)

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on my way home to scan and post my data sheet. The reason my numbers were so low was that with the exhaust and intake mods, the stock (Non Xied equipped) ECU programming was waaaayy too lean. I was not getting nearly enough fuel to cope with the increased intake and exhaust flow.

I should have asked for a pull with the xieds fitted.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Hey Scotty, You Brits should have plenty on money because you don't have to travel the globe to all those silly colonys and territories. Ruling the world from home is very green indeed. LOL Everyone is better off with more info so I hope this post stays alive forsure. Just remember the Fat Billy speed secret (cornering speed). I'm going to the gym to work on some 12 oz cardio sets. :D:D Later,

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
Just back from the Dyno! Here it is; XR 1200 stock only addition SE Pro Tuner. Dyno Jet Dyno Smoothing: 5 CF: 5
Temp 63 degrees, humidity 27%

Rear wheel horse power stock: 82.16 Torque: 65.87

Rear wheel horse power w/tuner: 85.22 Torque: 71.84

Rev limiter set at 7400 rpm= 3.06 HP 5.97 Torque

The SE race tuner increases horsepower and torque some with stock pipes. Once I get the QD's mounted the increase shoud be 5 or more horsepower after retuning for the pipe. The coolest thing about the SE tuner is you can adjust the mixture at every rpm level and every % on throttle position. Yes it takes a dyno and an exaust sniffer with two collectors and these collectors have tubes long enough to reach the head pipes. This way you may adjust rich or lean differantly for each cylinder. The stock USA pipes make this harder to do but it's the tuners dream to be able to see a lean spot at 3750-4150 and be able to richen it to remove a hesitation or dead spot. The best thing about this change is the overall driveability. Mid range is much cleaner and stronger and throttle responce is much better. I suppose that so people will say not much gain for the money but being able to retune your bike for best performance everytime you change something is priceless. All the modifying with out dyno testing and mixture knowledge is guessing. Remember the seat of the pants is the first thing to go if you bend over too fast. :D:):D Later,
Is there an additional 3hp and 5tq respectively by raising the rev limit to 7400 rpm or is that included in the 85hp and 71tq number?
Good job on doing it right.

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mistake 89.77 BHP

Having trouble downsizing the graph.
initial numbers-too lean

71.75 max power
70.67 max torque

final with SERT
89.77 max BHP
74.75 max torque

I will continue to work on getting the sheet posted.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Is there an additional 3hp and 5tq respectively by raising the rev limit to 7400 rpm or is that included in the 85hp and 71tq number?
Good job on doing it right.
I would have thought it would have peeked in HP before it got to 7,000

Having trouble downsizing the graph.
initial numbers-too lean

71.75 max power
70.67 max torque

final with SERT
89.77 max BHP
74.75 max torque

I will continue to work on getting the sheet posted.
I will PM you my e-mail, mail it to me, i am sure i can down-size it.
You can try this.

http://www.resize2mail.com/

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
I would have thought it would have peeked in HP before it got to 7,000
That is my initial impression also. Unless the race tuner is adding more fuel and timing beyond the factory rev limit, which it can, I wonder if numbers are with the 7000 rev limit and then 3hp and 5tq more with the rev limit raised to 7400. :confused: Or is the 3 and 5 the total improvement @ 7400.
Regardless, it's a good first effort and I'm confident that more can be found.

·
1,373 Posts
Doug and Scotty. Stock my rev limiter cut in @ 6800 rpm. The power has peaked @ that rpm. Power had peaked but the bike was still pulling. I increased the rev limit to see what it would do and give me some overrun if I need it. It is unsettling to have the rev limiter hit coming into or coming out of a corner. Yes you can shift but if sometimes you need the flexability not to. Just because you raise the rev limiter doesn't mean you have to go there. It's kind of like a free ticket to the shoe show(topless bar) you don't have to go but it's nice to have the ticket. The biggest plus of the whole deal is the the throttle responce and mid range power and the not surging at cruising speeds. Plus it is now rich enough to say potatoe, potatoe if you listen close. :cool: Later,

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
It looks like FatBilly and I are about 2.36 hp different, possibly due to temp/humidity

His 65 degree 27% humidity
my 74 degree 98% humidity Run in shop with all doors open, so humid everything (inside and out) sweating and water soaked.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Here is a copy of Veccio's dyno chart.

Dyno Run 1 ... Remus pipes, Pipercross Filter.........................................71.75 bhp 70.67 ft/lb Torque

Dyno Run 2... Remus pipes, Pipercross Filter and Sert.......................89.70 bhp 74.75 ft/lb Torque

When we have a few dyno charts i will post them in a closed thread with a list of mods that were done to the bike for each run. Hopefully this will make it easy to reference what mods work better than others.

Billy, is there any chance of a copy of yours?

·
1,373 Posts
I'll try Scotty if I can find a scanner that works. Do you think this internet thing is going to catch on or is it just a fad? :rolleyes: Later,

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Here is a copy of Veccio's dyno chart.

Dyno Run 1 ... Remus pipes, Pipercross Filter.........................................71.75 bhp 70.67 ft/lb Torque

Dyno Run 2... Remus pipes, Pipercross Filter and Sert.......................89.70 bhp 74.75 ft/lb Torque

When we have a few dyno charts i will post them in a closed thread with a list of mods that were done to the bike for each run. Hopefully this will make it easy to reference what mods work better than others.

Billy, is there any chance of a copy of yours?
I was confused for a moment because I can't see the SERT making an 18 HP difference....but now I see the base run was cut off at about 6300....so we're seeing a base run of 71 HP but if the motor had rev'ed out to 6800, and the hp increase was somewhat linear, the base HP would be more like 80-82.

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still want to know how those boys in Spain are hitting 100hp without deep engine mods. I cant believe the termis are worth that much. All that said, the bike is what it is, and high 80s is a good usable number. Too much more and you may lose some streetability. what I need now is to lose another 10lbs off the bike, maybe the passenger pegs and brackets will get me half way there.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
hmmmmm....

You would think some head work would be the next item on the list...that's where a lot of HP lives in every Harley.......were they allowed to do anything to the heads on the BBQ series bikes?

·
1,373 Posts
Here you go Scotty. I know it is a bad copy but it is on a work pc. Yes I do work, well I get paid to make these posts. Hope this helps. :cool: Later,

Attachments

G

·
I'm on my way home to scan and post my data sheet. The reason my numbers were so low was that with the exhaust and intake mods, the stock (Non Xied equipped) ECU programming was waaaayy too lean. I was not getting nearly enough fuel to cope with the increased intake and exhaust flow.

I should have asked for a pull with the xieds fitted.
I'm not sure that it would be worth taking it back for a pull with your XIEDs. They wouldn't make a difference in a full-throttle dyno pull. The O2 sensors are only in play where the ECM is in closed loop mode, and the ECM is not in closed loop at 90 or 100 kpa (full throttle). The XIEDs will be great for keeping the temp down and adding fuel while cruising, but when you crack the throttle and load the engine, the ECM drops out of closed loop and the mapping is relying entirely on your VE tables. just a thought...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.