XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an interest in a larger fuel tank (maybe 4.5 gal.) for the XR?

Not sure how it would look, but maybe if there is enough interest Adrenalmoto, Storz of even HD might make one available. Proably cost a bunch though (tank plus new cover needed).

relic

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
I was thinking about a tour tank http://www.tourtank.com/tourtanks.html

the 2 gallon model (only 6" X 12"), or the 1 gal (6" X 8") if I had the HD luggage rack I could fashion a removeable mount , and use as needed. The only problem is how to plumb the line into the tank. Maybe one of the fuel pump bolts with a flow thru sleeve. Any Ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Vecchio,

Thanks for the link. Certainly cost effective. I was thinking of carrying a gallon or two of extra fuel in a tank on the luggage rack in case I was out in the middle of nowhere, on reserve and no gas stations in range. Better than walking, but not sure if it is legal.

Maybe someone will respond to you about the hook-up.

I would lke to hear from Adrenalin-moto on the feasibility of a larger tank (and projected cost) though. Probably big bucks.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Larger tank...

~

A larger tank - one that might even somehow fit under the stock tank cover - is not out of the question... Not at all.

Over on one of the Ducati forums a discussion started about a larger capacity tank for Ducati Hypermotard's, and in a very short period of time Chris Kelley of CA Cycleworks (http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/) was hard at work on one. Stock the Hypermotard has a 3.3 gallon capacity, and this new, larger capacity tank will be over 6 gallons, and yet will fit entirely under the stock Ducati OEM bodywork.

It's a long, long thread, but if you are interested in how it came about, what kind of design work, mold technology, etc. comes into play in getting this kind of project going you might find this interesting:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=51068

CA Cycleworks had experience in producing a larger tank for the Ducati MH900E. Those came with a 2.5 gallon tank and Chris and the CA guys developed a 5+ gallon tank for them. To get that one done required doing away with the stock airbox and coming up with a different filter arrangement, etc. Much the same is being done with the Hypermotard tank. Chris is producing a turn-key solution that includes the tank, new coil mounts, a new battery location, new battery cables, new air filters, etc.

Takes about 35 to 50 folks willing to commit to around a $600 to $700 price tag for each tank kit, but at that price and with those numbers it is PERHAPS possible to have a larger tank produced.

I'm in line for one of the larger capacity Hypermotard tank kits and I would be happy to broach the idea to Chris at CA if there is enough interest here. Much the same was done on the Ducati forum, with 30 or so names getting lined up and Chris going from there.

Just FYI...

Hope it helps!

Dallara

~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
~

A larger tank - one that might even somehow fit under the stock tank cover - is not out of the question... Not at all.

Over on one of the Ducati forums a discussion started about a larger capacity tank for Ducati Hypermotard's, and in a very short period of time Chris Kelley of CA Cycleworks (http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/) was hard at work on one. Stock the Hypermotard has a 3.3 gallon capacity, and this new, larger capacity tank will be over 6 gallons, and yet will fit entirely under the stock Ducati OEM bodywork.

It's a long, long thread, but if you are interested in how it came about, what kind of design work, mold technology, etc. comes into play in getting this kind of project going you might find this interesting:

CA Cycleworks had experience in producing a larger tank for the Ducati MH900E. Those came with a 2.5 gallon tank and Chris and the CA guys developed a 5+ gallon tank for them. To get that one done required doing away with the stock airbox and coming up with a different filter arrangement, etc. Much the same is being done with the Hypermotard tank. Chris is producing a turn-key solution that includes the tank, new coil mounts, a new battery location, new battery cables, new air filters, etc.

Takes about 35 to 50 folks willing to commit to around a $600 to $700 price tag for each tank kit, but at that price and with those numbers it is perhaps possible to have a larger tank produced.

I'm in line for one of the larger capacity Hypermotard tank kits and I would be happy to broach the idea to Chris at CA if there is enough interest here. MUch the same was done on the Ducati forum, with 30 or so names getting lined up and Chris going from there.

Just FYI...

Hope it helps!

Dallara

~
I am one of the 30 to 50 ! I am intereste in a tank 4.5 gall or more. Must not fit under the existing cover.

greetings from Germany

Lutz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a great response

~

Takes about 35 to 50 folks willing to commit to around a $600 to $700 price tag for each tank kit, but at that price and with those numbers it is PERHAPS possible to have a larger tank produced.

I'm in line for one of the larger capacity Hypermotard tank kits and I would be happy to broach the idea to Chris at CA if there is enough interest here. Much the same was done on the Ducati forum, with 30 or so names getting lined up and Chris going from there.

Just FYI...

Hope it helps!

Dallara

~
Hi Dalara,

Thanks for a phenomenal response. I guess I should have expected such from Dallara. :D:D:D

That price range seems very rasonable to me. I will review the threads you gave us. I am new to this forum (and forums in general).

I could keep a tally of responses to this thread to see how many seem interested or maybe it would be better to start a poll to keep track of interest?

I hate to suggest it, but maybe I could start a Poll on that other site (more members?)

magoo/Scotty what do you think?

I know can speak for the group in expressing our great appreciation to Dallara for his advice and offer to bring this to Chris.

relic

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
The problem with the other site is every Tom **** and Harry without an XR is gonna vote on it, and really the only ones you would want to vote are XR owners. IMO.
But hey, give it a go and see what comes of it.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
XLForums...

~

I have to side with Scotty on this one...

IMHO, posting anything about putting a larger tank on the XR1200 over on the XLForums will result in a minimum number of relevant posts with dozens of "If you wanted a touring bike why didn't you get a Road King..." static, and the thread will become totally unwieldy and useless within days.

Being the one who started the "Head Count" thread over there I can say how frustrating in ways things like that can be. It was often difficult just to get people to provide the proper information despite the directions being spelled out pretty succinctly.

Personally, if I am going to have anything to do with approaching Chris with the prospect of doing an XR1200 tank then I want a clean, concise, well mannered thread to show him... Not some flame-infested, off-topic, meandering, knuckle-dragging, mud-slinging match, which is what I'm afraid could happen over there.

If we're going to do it, let's keep it here - at least to start. If it doesn't look like enough interest can be raised here in a reasonable amount of time then perhaps someone can take it over there and see if more people can be recruited.

Honestly, I think just about everybody that was over on XLForums that had, or really wanted, an XR1200 is over here anyway.

Just my two cents... YMMV.

Dallara

~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Scotty! good point...........

The problem with the other site is every Tom **** and Harry without an XR is gonna vote on it, and really the only ones you would want to vote are XR owners. IMO.
But hey, give it a go and see what comes of it.

Sounds lke a Poll on this site might be a good start and see what kind of responses we get.

I will ask th admin if he can close this thread and move it to a Poll thread (unless I could add a Poll to this thread and capture the votes to date)?

Or close this thread and just start a new one?

I am in over my head with this one (it doesn't take much).
I a sure he admin can advise.

relic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed

~

I have to side with Scotty on this one...

IMHO, posting anything about putting a larger tank on the XR1200 over on the XLForums will result in a minimum number of relevant posts with dozens of "If you wanted a touring bike why didn't you get a Road King..." static, and the thread will become totally unwieldy and useless within days.

Being the one who started the "Head Count" thread over there I can say how frustrating in ways things like that can be. It was often difficult just to get people to provide the proper information despite the directions being spelled out pretty succinctly.

Personally, if I am going to have anything to do with approaching Chris with the prospect of doing an XR1200 tank then I want a clean, concise, well mannered thread to show him... Not some flame-infested, off-topic, meandering, knuckle-dragging, mud-slinging match, which is what I'm afraid could happen over there.

If we're going to do it, let's keep it here - at least to start. If it doesn't look like enough interest can be raised here in a reasonable amount of time then perhaps someone can take it over there and see if more people can be recruited.

Honestly, I think just about everybody that was over on XLForums that had, or really wanted, an XR1200 is over here anyway.

Just my two cents... YMMV.

Dallara

~
Thanks Dallara. I fully agree and I sent an email to magoo to ask for advice on how to provide the clean thread you describe. Probably just starting a new thread with a Poll
:confused:, but I wll take any advice anyone can give before this thread gets too long.

Thanks guys!

By the way, sorry for the "Dalara" misspelling; I have a really crappy computer with a keyboard that doesn't always respond.

relic

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Poll...

~

No reason to close this thread. Better to actually leave it alone and put a pointer link in it to any poll/vote thread put up. Then just start a new thread, either structured like the Ducati thread where a list was started (which was also how the "Head Count" thread was done) and then constantly updated as the list grows... Or do a poll thread where the voters that want a larger tank - and are fully willing and able to pay for one if it is produced - have to provide sufficient information for me to pass along to Chris.

I must stress here that I won't go to Chris unless I have a list of serious and committed buyers. Over on the Ducati thread there were some who claimed they really wanted one of the larger Hypermotard tanks, and put their name on the list, only to then back out when it came time to do the pre-orders. This put Chris in a terrible spot where he had committed not just the time and design effort he had already put in, but also a significant amount of money based on the list of people who said they would buy one. Everything's okay now, but needless to say Chris was a bit disappointed and dismayed when those people flaked on him...

I guess my point is that please don't put your name on the list unless you are willing to pay $600, $700, or even $800 dollars US for a complete tank kit...

Thanks!

Dallara

~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dallara, what do you think??????????

Hi Dallara,

I don't mean to be presumptuous, but it sounds like we might all be best served if you would be willing to start a new headcount therad here with a Poll and instructions to follow? At least that way it would be done right! What do you think?

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
~

Let me cogitate on it a bit and think of the best way to do it.
Easy, all you have to do is make it known that all posts other than relevant ones will be deleted by admin or me.
But personally i dont see any need for anything more than names and where they live, i dont really see the point of the last six numbers of the vin, (that might just put some folks off) unless you have an explanation for that that i have missed!

Now i think about it, i dont see any point in the register :D
But hey thats just me :rolleyes:

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
No problem...

~

Then you do it, Scotty.

I've got no problem with that. I'll give you all the contact info for Chris and you can handle it.

Like I said... Gotta' go meet some folks at the shop.

Thanks!

Dallara

~

1 - 20 of 86 Posts