XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just currently purchased a 2009 XR1200, looking to replace the top tree to be compatible for 4-6inch risers. Has anybody experimented or recommend a certain brand for this scenario?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Not easy for the XR 6inch Raisers?What for?

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,156 Posts
outlawharley,

In a separate thread which I can't find right now, you asked for a pic of the floridacars bars mod. Here it is. As you see, it is a very clever and really simple/elegant mod to raise the bars about 10 mm. What ever bars you run after installing the mod is up to you. I use a pair of Biltwell moustache bars which are much narrower than the stock XR bars, great for lane splitting which I do constantly, and offer about 30 mm of elevation of the grips above the bar clamps. However, I'm only 5'7" with arm lengths to match so the combined rise of the Biltwell bars in the mod as shown lets my hands reach the grips without too much lean forward. End result, I can comfortably do a tank of juice, say 230 km, without any back or neck pain. Good luck if you give this a try. I suspect your only problem will be getting hold of another clamp as HD likely won't be able to supply it as a spare part for our obselete model. In that case perhaps a good machinist can make you one if you give him your existing clamp as a starting point. Cheers,

J.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,516 Posts
Instead of replacing the top tree, use Rox Risers.
I have 3" on mine. You can move the bars up or angle them forward or back.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,156 Posts
Should have mentioned this in my post above, but the absolute limiting factor when it comes to raising the bars back towards you isn't control cables- you can get longer cables for the XL/XR, sometimes from a Harley dealer, Barnett makes some also, I think on a custom basis. But the true limiting factor is the length of the wiring running to the gauges. Look at the pic above. See the gauges are mounted ON THE BAR CLAMP. Why Harley did it this way I don't know, probably because they had done so on generations of XL's, but it means that you can't hike the bars up off their existing postion more than about 30 mm, say an inch and a quarter without starting to exert some nasty pulling traction on the wiring to the gauges on full right steering lock. I found this out the hard way and thankfully wasn't trying for more than 30 mm total elevation or I might have been in deep do do. Not sure how Raven achieved a 3" rise, maybe he can tell us or post a pic of it, but I think when he installed his Rox risers he must have left his guages in the stock position somehow. OK, just saying.

J.

·
1,516 Posts
Shack, with the Rox Risers your gauges stay in the stock position.
I have the 3" with Biltwell "Tracker" low rise bars.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Those posting , please go back and show pictures of your set up. Thank you.

·
1,516 Posts
Sorry Cory, I don't have any recent pictures and the bike is in storage for the winter.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Sorry Cory, I don't have any recent pictures and the bike is in storage for the winter.
We will have to wait till May. :(

·
Registered
403 Posts
Genuine question.

What is the advantage in changing the top yolk/triple tree/and or adding risers?

There are bars available to place your hands anywhere you could possibly reach from flat straight narrow bars to mahoosive hands above your head ape hanger type and everything in between. Surely its simpler and cheaper to just buy bars and any longer cables instead of adding the complexity and cost of bar mountings.

·
1,516 Posts
Skiddy, the Rox risers run about the same as a set of bars.
A plus is you can move the bars up, back or forward. Had stock bars on the bike when I bought it and never felt comfortable with them.
I think I put the Trackers on the first year and loved the bend. I am on the short side and my right arm has 3" less reach than my left. ( long story for another time) So I was up on the tank a lot.
Great for roaring around not so much on long rides.
Changed over to [email protected] 2" rise race bars, better but I liked the bend of the Trackers better.
I was looking at some flattrack bikes noticed that bar mounts were angled back quite a bit ( look at a Indian race bike)
So went with Tackers on 3" risers. I have the short cables for the race kit and they fit fine.
The only thing I had to change was the brake lines back to stock length form the short ones I had put on years before.
Sorry for the long post.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Coming from sportbikes, the stock bars on mine feel like I am riding my old Schwinn Beach Cruiser. I like the look of the XR Racebikes, and want to replicate that. Being this is not the typical H-D, the lower bars will allow me to sit more leaning forward, like the racebikes were back in the day. I will be following @ytman and @JimJr1945 who are using Pro Taper Carmichael Bend Bars, with Buell-Type 1 1/8" center clamping area, and 7/8" bar ends (this too is for another posting). Not everyone is the same build in upper torso, like @raven stahes, so risers allow you to fine tune the position of the bars you choose, more than just rotating them forwards and backwards. It is all of a personal choice, unless you want to run Ape Hangers, and that has been picked on more here than a fat kit on the playground.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I understand what you are trying to achieve.

Corey the comparison with the Schwinn is absolutely spot on, I hated the stock bars and my wrists were at such an extreme angle it was painful even on a short ride. I have sat on a bike with the Pro Taper Carmichael's and they are virtually identical to my Renthal Fatbars, perfect for me but I understand some people's requirements are different.

In the first post outlawharley's bike looks like a very nice original example, I'm just not sure about 6" risers especially with the stock bars on this bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts