XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Currently planning on replacing my wheels with spoked ones.

I have this crazy idea of putting an 18" on the rear. Sadly the 18" only comes in 4.25 width. So thinner tire, smaller choice of rubber and potentially less grip.

I think this will give it a nice old school look - less like a modern sports bike. (may even go the chain drive?)

Soo.. the million dollar questions...

Am i giving up too much just for "a look". How much of an impact will that have on handling? What are peoples thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
8,227 Posts
Interesting idea Wally, I'm not sure I've seen anyone do that kind of wheel on a XR1200 before!
im trying to picture what it would look like, ill have to go look at the Storz XR1200
seems it would be a shame to go through that expense and not be happy with the results, but if your bound and determined, I say...Go for it!

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to find an 18 X 5.5 spoked rim. When I owned my wire wheel company, we made them, and there are plenty of companies that do today as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly 18 x 5.5 in not an option with the rims I want to fit. Hence asking the brain trust on here their opinion around putting a 18 x 4.25 on the rear.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
So what style 18" rim are you looking at?

As for a Skinnier tire with the W I D E XR swingarm, I think it will look SILLY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kineo - I think they are made in Italy.

Think I will need to do more contemplation over the final look

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
I can't imagine that rim style looking "Old School" at all, not in my eye at least.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
If you are changing wheel size, why not 19" front and rear. Then you can put some proper flat track rubber on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts