XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I write Clearance, I have to correct it from Clarence. There I go off on an "Airport" Tangent with, "What's your Clearace Clarence..." Jst how my mind works, and I blame the TV Series MMoonlighting for this.

Anyhow, for those that are running a 17" front wheel/tire, what is the clearance from the front of the fender to the tire? Here is a picture of the stock fender mounted with the 17" tire. I am thinking, like I always do, that my fender could be lowered using riv-nuts. I did not measure the stock fender to tire clearance when I had the 18” installed.

Automotive tire Finger Musical instrument accessory Bumper Vehicle door

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

·
used ta could
2,011 Posts
I just unbolted the unit from the forks and set it on the tire. The nuts underneath holding the plastic fender to the metal bracket hit first. Then I marked the holes. Raised it up 1/4" and Bob's your uncle. There's your new hole centers. The fools on American Chopper used a length of 1/4" hose to space the fender off the tire before mounting. You need to keep one small detail in mind. The wheel diameter shrinks about the axle center. As you lower the fender parallel with the forks it touches in the back first because you're not moving it towards the center. Does that make sense? It's more pronounced when going from a much bigger diameter to a small one. I discovered this trying to use a V Rod fender. It touched the tire in the back and in the front it was way high. It's not bad just going from the 18" to the 17"er.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@yan
That makes complete sense. and thank you for that.

@raven
Thanks for the measurement.

@CT XR rider
Just the look I wanted to achieve, but with the stock fender lowered, Dwight makes great points. I will still look for a 17” that is supposed to fit, but hen’s teeth keeps coming to my mind I. That search.

@JeremyConnors
???

·
Super Moderator
8,331 Posts
There are a couple of different ways of lowering the stock front fender, if you could do a search in the archives for lowering the fender, you might find something that works for you.
Regards
Roy

·
used ta could
2,011 Posts
I've cut most of the pieces to make a fixture to reweld a cut stocker. Mine was cracked before I cut it shorter. Then it broke again(after many miles and trips up and down my bumpy dirt road). I'm thinking the '09 bracket might hold up better. It doesn't have the lightning holes.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,058 Posts
I just removed 20 mm from my non X mounting bracket legs above the 4 fastening points and had them re welded up. This worked fine for the stock fender and stock 18" front wheel. Also looked quite OK with the 17" wheel. Currently I am running the Harris cf fender which member Art blessed me with, which was made for 17" fronts. If you go this route and have the 18", don't take out more than 20 mm or you may run into issues of a new front tire (depending on tyre profile) scraping the lowest point on the underside of the fender, which is the nuts retaining the plastic fender to the fender mount. I was very lucky I chose a round figure & didn't go any greater. Next time I'd make it 18 mm or 17.5.

J.

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Take a 1/2" dia rubber hose, attach it to the diameter of the tire, set the fender on top, drill set, match.

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Take a 1/2" dia rubber hose, attach it to the diameter of the tire, set the fender on top, drill set, match.

Reactions: hhauto

·
Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
221 Posts
I bought an XR-X front fender mount that has the three slots per side, cut it exactly the length of the bottom slot which is about 1", re-welded and powder coated. Fits a 17" perfect and the fork guard part covers the length of the exposed fork.

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sadly, the XR1200X (59441-10) Fender Support is Obsolete from H-D, but the XR1200 from '09 is still available (59403-08). Cutting the fender support seems to be the way to go.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Corey, Mate I'd be inclined to either buy and modify the 09 bracket or order a carbon fire-be guard from Harris Performance which could be a 6 to 8 week wait if they aren't in stock, and you would still have the original bracket also genuine parts are getting harder to obtain best wishes.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I bought a stock used front fender off eBay after I bought the 17” wheel. I don’t plan on going back to the stock 18” front wheel, and I would bet others that have changed to a 17” front, feel the same way. Would be easier to buy a direct fit fender, but they are hard to find, so modifying a stock one is the plan.

I see the carbon fiber one from Harris.

They also have a fiberglass front fender.
Harris XR1200 Fibreglass Front Mudguard - Harris Performance (harris-performance.com)

·
Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
221 Posts
Corey -

BTW, my front fender is a 2002-2003 HD V-Rod anodized aluminum front fender (59016-01) that I bought used on eBay and powder-coated satin black. It mounts backwards on the XR, which uses the same mounting bracket as the V-Rod but turned around.

Comes out a little longer in back than the stock XR plastic fender and I think fits 17" wheel much nicer

Reactions: CoreyDSFA

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Corey -

BTW, my front fender is a 2002-2003 HD V-Rod anodized aluminum front fender (59016-01) that I bought used on eBay and powder-coated satin black. It mounts backwards on the XR, which uses the same mounting bracket as the V-Rod but turned around.

Comes out a little longer in back than the stock XR plastic fender and I think fits 17" wheel much nicer
That is good information. Thanks!

I bought a front fender support for about $80.00 off ebay, not a fender.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure, since you need one anyways. There is another one for $91.00, but you have to read the fine print.

Rectangle Font Handwriting Magenta Art

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just unbolted the unit from the forks and set it on the tire. The nuts underneath holding the plastic fender to the metal bracket hit first. Then I marked the holes. Raised it up 1/4" and Bob's your uncle. There's your new hole centers. The fools on American Chopper used a length of 1/4" hose to space the fender off the tire before mounting. You need to keep one small detail in mind. The wheel diameter shrinks about the axle center. As you lower the fender parallel with the forks it touches in the back first because you're not moving it towards the center. Does that make sense? It's more pronounced when going from a much bigger diameter to a small one. I discovered this trying to use a V Rod fender. It touched the tire in the back and in the front it was way high. It's not bad just going from the 18" to the 17"er.
I think yer being very kind , referring to them folks as merely "fools" shucks , I'd be willin' ta bet that's a kind word compared to some of the ones People that they took mucho $$$$$$ from had for them(American Choppers) , not that they di'nt deserve it......customer & "Builder" alike .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts