XR1200 Owners Group banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
... does dunlop sell a good looking 17" street tire with the yellow dunlop logo?
The yellow Dunlop letters are stickers. If you ask a Dunlop race tech nice, he may give you a few...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm running an XR1200 wheel on my 06 Sportster. I also upgraded the front end with the 49mm Dyna Street Bob mid glide front end. I used a V-Rod front fender but the bolt hole pattern was different then the Dynas and I had to make some small changes. But everything worked out and I've been running it for several years now. Who's got the 17" Marchesini wheels which fit on a Sportster?

·
Usually fixes more than he breaks
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm running an XR1200 wheel on my 06 Sportster. I also upgraded the front end with the 49mm Dyna Street Bob mid glide front end. I used a V-Rod front fender but the bolt hole pattern was different then the Dynas and I had to make some small changes. But everything worked out and I've been running it for several years now. Who's got the 17" Marchesini wheels which fit on a Sportster?
As far as I can tell the 17” Marchesini wheels are no longer made. Twin Motorcycles sells forged aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up on that. I've got a 17" Marchesini wheel on my V-Bike front end but I'm going to run it on my FXR. I think it's actually a Ducati wheel because that's what 320mm rotors it's running. I had to have a one off axle turned for it because at that time I didn't have my lathe. I had to remove the Link to Twin Motorcycles because I hadn't made 5 posts. But I think all the fans who read these pages know how to get to their website.

·
used ta could
1,767 Posts
This is a Buell fender on member Charles Cavallo’s XR(for sale in the classifieds) He did an awesome job of trimming and bracketry. That is an 18” wheel though. Another 1/2” or so would have to be trimmed off.

ADC34DF8-0F7A-4E0D-AC50-17AAD0152095.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up on that. I've got a 17" Marchesini wheel on my V-Bike front end but I'm going to run it on my FXR. I think it's actually a Ducati wheel because that's what 320mm rotors it's running. I had to have a one off axle turned for it because at that time I didn't have my lathe. I had to remove the Link to Twin Motorcycles because I hadn't made 5 posts. But I think all the fans who read these pages know how to get to their website.

·
Let's Ride
128 Posts
Which fender is that? I first thought it was over a 17" wheel, but I see that is the stock XR wheel.
I must have gotten the wrong pic. THIS is the one I was wanting to know if it was yours. Sorry for the confusion. I see it is the stock fender. I was wanting to know what mods needed to be done besides the brackets being shortened.

·
used ta could
1,767 Posts
I think some of the fenders are a little too streamlined for the XR. The stocker is a little clunky. It fits the bike. The Harris/V&H is the only other one I really like. I like free though. Haha. Mine could use a little more smoothing out. Tiger Mann did a much nicer job on his. The nuts under the fender keep you from getting any closer to the tire. I keep thinking something like bicycle chainring bolts would let it come down even closer. Maybe next time. I unbolted the unit and dropped down until the nuts hit the tire then added back 1/4” for clearance. It was the same distance as the length of the bottom lightning hole. I cut that section out and welded it back together. I had to pile a little weld on the front of the lower pieces to blend. Then sand smooth, or in my case, purt near smooth.

·
Let's Ride
128 Posts
Good idea with the chain ring bolts. I'll try that on mine. The guy at Harris quoted me the fiberglass one and the CF one, but I'll try your mod first and like you said... free. Thanks for the info.

·
used ta could
1,767 Posts
Good idea with the chain ring bolts. I'll try that on mine. The guy at Harris quoted me the fiberglass one and the CF one, but I'll try your mod first and like you said... free. Thanks for the info.
You got me thinking about it again. Haha Maybe some super low pro bolts from below with some sexy nuts on top

·
Life begins at 180 mph
56 Posts
A 17” front hoop is on order from Twins. The stock fender already sits fairly high above the stock 18” wheel.

The fender bracket can be cut and welded but I was hoping for and easier solution. Couldn’t find any in the search bar.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts