XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Usually fixes more than he breaks
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 17” front hoop is on order from Twins. The stock fender already sits fairly high above the stock 18” wheel.

The fender bracket can be cut and welded but I was hoping for and easier solution. Couldn’t find any in the search bar.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can buy a proper aftermarket front mudguard/fender to fit the 17" wheel, I see them in fibreglass or carbon.

Its the correct radius for the smaller wheel/tyre combo, I have a couple of fibreglass ones as below but the carbon would be nice :cool:

IMG_2532.jpg

·
used ta could
1,765 Posts
I believe..........if you have the early fender support(without the slotted holes) you can just redrill the bolt holes.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe..........if you have the early fender support(without the slotted holes) you can just redrill the bolt holes.
Mine is an ‘09. Could redrill the holes but hoping for something a little cleaner. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
used ta could
1,765 Posts
Ssshhhhh. Don’t tell anyone but I’ve been looking at Buell front fenders on ebay. They’re really cheap. Free spirits sells a fiberglass one that looks just like it. It looks more modern than the XR setup but offers more fork leg protection. With a simple 4 hole bracket you could make it fit. Of course the free spirits one comes with a pretty cool adapter.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes the Buell ones look good, mine is a Harris, its not obvious from the pic but it flares out either side in front of the stanchion so offers protection preventing stone chips etc

·
used ta could
1,765 Posts
Skiddy you have the best looking one IMO. A little tougher to get here in the U.S. or at least more $. This is a $45 Buell fender on EBay and the FS bracket looks easy to make. Of course the Harris/V&H fender is still the best looking.
9F757A7F-1C92-4F63-99ED-7014BE338142.jpeg A01B57FD-1CA5-4382-8B5E-C36BE29C0241.jpeg

·
used ta could
1,765 Posts
rtbain please forgive me for being a busybody. I’ve been looking into this some. I stumbled across pictures of this machine recently. When I saw the front fender I thought”that is the smartest thing ever”. I don’t think I like it but what a simple solution.
0EBE39CD-BE67-4F4F-8BC9-1ACB6011A9E9.jpeg

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for posting. It’s clever, never would have thought of that. I’m leaning towards a Buell fender now. Some of the other options are very nice, but no longer available. The only place a 17” cast wheel could be found was on Twin Motorcycle. And it has an eight week lead time.

Just have to find out which model and year everyone it talking about.

That is the biggest problem I have experienced with this scooter. Lots of great ideas, just no longer available.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the Buell ones look good, mine is a Harris, its not obvious from the pic but it flares out either side in front of the stanchion so offers protection preventing stone chips etc
it’s that the Harris fender for the Buell 1125R?

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Skiddy you have the best looking one IMO. A little tougher to get here in the U.S. or at least more $. This is a $45 Buell fender on EBay and the FS bracket looks easy to make. Of course the Harris/V&H fender is still the best looking.
which model and year Buell?

·
used ta could
1,765 Posts
which model and year Buell?
I was looking at the ‘03-‘10 XB12. I have to say that I never bought one and fit it but that was going to be my next move and will be if my cut down steel stocker fails. They’re cheap enough to eff one up. Plus you can get a carbon fiber one for like $150.00. The last V&H one I saw was going for $400.00.
I kind of like the funkyness of the stock one. There is absolutely nothing aerodynamic about an XR 1200 and to have a wraparound front fender doesn’t make visual sense. I hope you’ll keep us posted.

I forgot to mention....you can put the fender a lot closer to the tire if you don’t have your nuts hanging down there haha.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at the ‘03-‘10 XB12. I have to say that I never bought one and fit it but that was going to be my next move and will be if my cut down steel stocker fails. They’re cheap enough to eff one up. Plus you can get a carbon fiber one for like $150.00. The last V&H one I saw was going for $400.00.
I kind of like the funkyness of the stock one. There is absolutely nothing aerodynamic about an XR 1200 and to have a wraparound front fender doesn’t make visual sense. I hope you’ll keep us posted.

I forgot to mention....you can put the fender a lot closer to the tire if you don’t have your nuts hanging down there haha.
I’ll post up. The Buell fender is nice. I agree that it may look a bit out of place.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
My cautionary tale FWIW. Years ago I lopped 20 mm out of the fender mount legs of my '10 non X with the stock 18" front, and had them rewelded by a local bike shop. Good result for roughly $75 AUD, looks stock but neat. But I was lucky when I decided on that round figure of 20 mm. I ended up with almost zero clearance between new rubber & the underside of the 4 small fasteners holding the plastic fender to the fender mount. Just something to remember. I'd go say 17.5 mm next time.

J.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
You could do similar, yt. Just dispense with the lowermost of those slotted holes. Easy peasy for a metalsmith like you.

J.

·
used ta could
1,765 Posts
Orrrrrrrrrr........you could get a V-Rod fender bracket and just make legs at whatever length works for you.
45444A85-F685-49EE-82DB-775431AFC085.jpeg

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,168 Posts
For those wanted a Buell fender, try Buellster Parts.
They sell used Buell stuff and I think they are out of Florida.
Also I wonder if the shorter fender from a Roadster or Fat Bob would look like ?

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My cautionary tale FWIW. Years ago I lopped 20 mm out of the fender mount legs of my '10 non X with the stock 18" front, and had them rewelded by a local bike shop. Good result for roughly $75 AUD, looks stock but neat. But I was lucky when I decided on that round figure of 20 mm. I ended up with almost zero clearance between new rubber & the underside of the 4 small fasteners holding the plastic fender to the fender mount. Just something to remember. I'd go say 17.5 mm next time.J.
Thanks for the measurements! I'm usually the one to mess it up first. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts