Santa popped in early...
    Habitual Linestepper

Default Santa popped in early...

... and brought my dyno results ('12 XR-X). Ho-ho-ho! With a little help of: High performance airbox (Twin Motorcycles, Netherlands), Thundermax ECU, Bassani Road Rage exhaust, and ported cylinder heads. That's a calibrated dyno, no freebie ponies there. Too bad that spring is still 4 months away here in northern Europe...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

User Title Here

Default Re: Santa popped in early...

That's quite impressive. Which ported heads?
    2009 XR1200 - 2012 XR1200X - 2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye - 2006 Ducati 999S - 2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Habitual Linestepper

Thanks. Just stock heads, cams & valves. But the local porting workshop knows their shit... they do racing cars & other such stuff, claim to have improved even Screaming Eagle heads. Said that plain flow measures of my heads should now allow 124 hp... so something else must be delimiting still. Oh well, I can live with this

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Wow, impressive indeed for a combination without aftermarket cams, or 1250 kit, reverse dome pistons etc. The Holy Grail of tuning success here used to be 100 hp at the rear wheel with bolt on parts only, you almost made it apart from the ported heads, so brilliant work there.

Where in Finland are you ?
    I say that having had a very brief visit to your country 4 years ago, in fact an overnight ferry trip from Stockholm. Very memorable, though. Didn't see any XR's there!

J.

the older I get.the faster I was

Very impressive indeed.
    What gear did they run it in? The chart shows it running 170kph at 7200 rpm.
    At that rpm in 5th it should be running a bit over 205 kph. With those numbers the clutch might be slipping.
    One of my best friends is Finnish. They build some wild machinery over there.

Master of Space and Time

Those numbers look very optimistic to me.

Habitual Linestepper

What can I say... I just chose the parts, installing & porting workshops did their job, dyno was calibrated... and this is what came out. Max hp was not the target but low-end torque, which appears adequate to me. It was 4th gear as it says on the dyno sheet. Thanks for the clutch comment, have to keep an eye on that.

Merry Xmas everyone

the older I get.the faster I was

Sorry I missed seeing the gear no the chart. But at 7200 RPM it should be running a bit over 180 KPH. Might have a bit of slippage there.
    I love that you are getting more TQ than HP.

Bucking the trend

I'd like to know more about what was done to the heads. I've been reading a book about modifying Sportsters written by "Buzz Buzelli".
    Unfortunately, it was written in '92, so there no info on the XR1200. (there is some info on the XR750, and ill-fated XR1000, both with heads modified by Jerry Branch).
    But there's some interesting stuff about combustion chambers, "squish", and valve sizing.
    I'm curious what was done to the combustion chambers on this bike.

Also, does the Thundermax UCU a completely replace the stock ECU hardware, or is it an add on?