Cafe conversion

Thread: Cafe conversion

Habitual Linestepper

Default Cafe conversion

Hi, anyone know of a shop in the NE that could/would do a cafe conversion in my XR? Low bars, fairing, exhaust and a few more goodies? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

There's a fine line between tough and dumb...

Default Re: Cafe conversion

I don't know what your garage situation is, but this is well within the abilities of an average guy. The items you mention are basically bolt-on. A different exhaust and intake would merit dyno tuning, but the rest of it is nuts and bolts. Do some searching on the forum, and you'll find sources for the add-ons that you're interested in.
    Roger Smith
    2012 Harley XR1200X
    2020 Triumph Speed Twin
    2009 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 Honda ST1300
    1973 Honda CL350

Habitual Linestepper

I will do that, thanks Roger.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Raised by Wolves

Use Google,Pics,search for Harley XR 1200 Cafe Racer.Thats you are lookin for????

User Title Here

Check out A&J cycles downstate. They have lots of XR stuff and I think they do builds. I would start with them. Also you might try Harley Davidson of Utica. They e done some really cool stuff. Shane (service manager) knows his stuff and they like the XR. Of course it’ll be pricey there but they’ll stand behind the work and they know Harleys.

Habitual Linestepper

Thanks.. talked to Shane... actually went there..he showed me some pix of ones he has done. Said he could help me out, but it would be a lot of "customizing" and usually the final number has three zeros on the end! )
    A Tech there said to try Battlefield Cycle Works... do you know anything about them? Thanks!

User Title Here

Never heard of them. Any luck with A&J cycles (Hillburn NY- on vacation till 10-3 ) I really want to get down there to see the place- they seem to specialize in XR and Triumph and I have both) Never heard of Battlefield but Raush speed shop has a good rep for engine work- don't know what else they do- they'd be east of you but still in NY- impressive shop for being middle of nowhere! lol

User Title Here

I just finished converting my 2009 from a single seater cafe with clip-ons and aftermarket triple clamp, back to OEM, and it was all pretty straight forward. I bought it already converted....

The least amount of parts and effort involves a correct set of clip-ons, and a new upper triple clamp, as without the handle bar, the stocker looks bad. I had all Free Spirits parts. BTW, I swapped upper trip[le clamps, and slid the clip-ons off with the bike on the sidestand. Remove the tank from the bike before you start, for access to all the wiring connections.

I have a set of Free Spirits clip-ons in the classifieds for a good price.

Habitual Linestepper

Quote Originally Posted by rickj View Post
    Never heard of them. Any luck with A&J cycles (Hillburn NY- on vacation till 10-3 ) I really want to get down there to see the place- they seem to specialize in XR and Triumph and I have both) Never heard of Battlefield but Raush speed shop has a good rep for engine work- don't know what else they do- they'd be east of you but still in NY- impressive shop for being middle of nowhere! lol
    I had not either and can see why...They (he) is in Rome NY. Called AND emailed and left a detailed message about what I wanted a few days ago.... Nothing! Anyway, emailed A&J today and got a quick response.. Interested!! They said they have a few projects going to wrap up and they would be in touch!! So thanks for the heads up!!

Habitual Linestepper

So you went the opposite direction! ) I want low bars similar to my R100S , but not quite as low as clip ons! Thanks tho! Did you tweak the motor at all? I had a 2002 Buell S3 and I'd like the XR to run like it did!

Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    I just finished converting my 2009 from a single seater cafe with clip-ons and aftermarket triple clamp, back to OEM, and it was all pretty straight forward. I bought it already converted....

The least amount of parts and effort involves a correct set of clip-ons, and a new upper triple clamp, as without the handle bar, the stocker looks bad. I had all Free Spirits parts. BTW, I swapped upper trip[le clamps, and slid the clip-ons off with the bike on the sidestand. Remove the tank from the bike before you start, for access to all the wiring connections.

I have a set of Free Spirits clip-ons in the classifieds for a good price.

Habitual Linestepper

New to xr's, how do I raise the rev limiter?

the older I get.the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by rsbmw View Post
    So you went the opposite direction! ) I want low bars similar to my R100S , but not quite as low as clip ons! Thanks tho! Did you tweak the motor at all? I had a 2002 Buell S3 and I'd like the XR to run like it did!
    Many use Biltwell Tracker bars on the XR and are pleased with them.

Master of Space and Time

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Rvliii View Post
    New to xr's, how do I raise the rev limiter?
    I think there's a guy who sells big ends that'll do it for you
    ZZR1400, XR1200, DR650 x 2
    In bits ;-) DR650, ZXR750

Habitual Linestepper

On another topic, anyone have experience with a Bassani 2 into 1 exhaust? Sound? any real perf. gain?

HE who dies with the most toys wins

I have one on my XR and it be loud! The bike picked up about 6hp and 7ftlbs with a power commander if memory serves me right. I would get the pipe coated before install ( the pipe rusts easily ) and get the heat shields ( burned a hole through my riding pants )