XR1200 Owners Group banner

Help! I need a simple answer, please.

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Red Rat 
#1 ·
I have an ‘09 XR, bone stock. I’ll be adding a K&N filter element and a set of Asbo cans onto stock headers. If I add a PCV, do I have to download a different map or can I just do the plug and play? Will the PCV compensate for the air filter and exhaust without changing the PCV?
Maybe I’m a little thick when it comes to tuners (all new to me). None of the PCV info gives me the answer. I emailed Dynojet and got no response. They probably thought, “Who is this dummy!”
If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Mike, you have to download a map from the Dynojet website and load it into the PCV, EXCEPT the map won't be specific to your set-up so would still need tuning to get the right set-up.
To be honest you'd be better taking the bike to a tuner with a dyno and getting them to flash the ECU whilst using the dyno to get the best tune.
I'm sure someone on here can recommend a tuner in your area.

#4 ·
Hello,

A better alternative would be to get a DynoJet Power Vision. They are easy to use and you can use the auto-tune feature and create your own map from your stock map. You can also use the Power Vision to pull diagnostic codes and you can mount it and use the gauges you set up on it real time (you can even set a gear position to show what gear you are in). As you gain experience with it, there are other quick settings you can adjust, rev limiter, idle, fuel on decelerations, etc. For your setup, it would save a lot money on a Dyno tune, as you are very close to stock. After you have updated your stock map a few times with the auto-tune function, you can still have it Dyno tuned if you think you haven't got the tune spot on. For the beginner, the Power Vision is easy to use, but it also has more advance functions for the expert Dyno tuners. Fuel Motto usually has the best price and they have good Tech support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPQ40qlPB0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1fppB5rSYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1fppB5rSYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycm4-KNGz14

#5 ·
The PowerVision seems to be the state of the Art for People without Experience.But costs a lot and will be married with the bike.
Its possible to ad some Bikes more if you pay for a new software License.But as HouseyHousey said.If you want the complete Enchilada go to a Tuner with a Dyno.What we have found out here there are more Dynos than experienced Tuners on it.
The K&N filter is not a must for what i have found out.Only open Cans are not a Problem but more Air IN needs more Gas by the ECU.
The Sensors only can help in a small Range when drivin.If you want to go Fast and Hard buy a KTM....))))).
I put my origin Airfilter back to my FatBob and the Bike goes smooth like i want it.Next the XR K&N Filter goes to the Litterbox when the Tank goes OFF for Service.The XR Bikes running very Lean with the origin Setup.

#6 ·
Definitely a Dyno tuner will get you more, but I don't think you will notice a seat-of-the-pants difference with just a set of cans on a stock exhaust/air filter between a Dyno tuner and the Auto-Tune basic you can do yourself with the Power Vision. If you do more upgrades later (new full exhaust, Free Sprits Intake, etc), you can do Auto-Tune again (no limits on how many times you want to run Auto-Tune and refine your map), no need to go back and pay for another Dyno tune. There are so many features in the Power Vision that the average person can
use and it still supports full on Dyno tuning if you choose.

#7 ·
I put a PC5 on my bike a couple of months ago. I have a K&N filter, and slip ons that are more free flowing than the stock ones. There were only 2 maps that were available for my set up (in the U.S.)... #1 was basically for a stock set up (I'm guessing it helps the "Lean" issue) and #2 was with a V&H pipe + K&N filter. I also installed the switch that let's me swap between each map. I'm not impressed at all, at the change of performance, for the price of the unit! So I say take the advice from the other comments and see a tuner.

#8 ·
A close Friend of mine is dealing with the PV on his LowRider.First he bought a License und the Dealer interchange the oem Map with the new Mapping for 350,-$.
All after changing Airfilter & V&H Short shots.Feels good but bangs in the Exaust.Brought the Bike to a Pro and first he says,,not Bad but" i fix it.After 600,-$ still Bangs less but it Bangs in the Exaust.
My Friend reads the Mapping and send it to a Pro who makes some more Changings in the Table.
After this playing back the Map on the bike and it works fine now.600,-$ for Nuts:censored:

For the XR most ,,Tuners" use the XL1200 Setting/Map.This will not work.!!!!! A Setup/Dyno Run for a Bike or even the XR takes near 7-8 Hrs.!!!
Believe it or Not.First all Dealers interested to sell the PV.

#9 ·
You start with the stock map in your bike (not a canned tune, definitely not a XL canned tune). Your stock map will be very close, just run the Auto-Tune function, ride the bike to get hits in the VE tables, save the Auto-Tune and then load the new map. You can then Auto-Tune the new map again to refine it. With just stock exhaust and new cans, I doubt a Dyno-Tune will give you more than 1-2 HP than the Auto-Tune function in the Power Vision (some members have had there XRs dyno tuned after using the Auto-Tune function only to gain 1 hp.) If you change anything, you just run another Auto-Tune and load the new map. Don't buy license a from a dealer, that just gives the dealer a license to load a tune through his Power Vision. You would have to go back to the dealer whenever you needed a new tune. Buy the Power Vision outright and you own for your bike, I made a mount for mine and leave if hooked up to monitor my engine temp and gear position. I had no problems using my stock tune and Auto-Tune with my Vance & Hines exhaust, then when I changed to a Bassani exhaust and HPA intake, I ran a few more Auto-Tunes with my Vance & Hines map. Seriously, check out the youtube videos, the Power vision is so easy to use and you can do more with it than just a new map (tune).

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I’m pretty happy with the performance, just want a more throaty sound. I’ll find a Dynojet map that will work, I ‘m sure. I just want to alleviate the lean condition. I’m not looking to build a rocket ship.

#15 ·
Use a PowerVision.As above said,lots of Info on Youtube.Im learning when bought a sec. Hand PV for a small Dollar.
Buying a new License is a must when dealing with a Pre-Owned Device.Keep away from the older Stuff,4 Yrs and more.And dont use Devices which stay on the Bike.No need for this.
PowerVision will make your Bike run Smooth and wakes up the real Power inside.NO,you dont have 25 HP more but it feels like that.Not bad..............

Im not close to the Electronic Stuff but will get some Help from a Pro when needet(Lucky).And he has the same LowRider as i have in the Stable.Man his LR goes strong with the 103 Engine.
Remember,XR,x going Lean/Hot when New,changing the Filter will not help alone to kill a KTM 1290R,tryed this Yesterday,++.

#16 ·
So I've got a question with this then. If you buy the PowerVision unit, do you also have to buy the dynojet autotuner for PowerVision?

I'm a knobhead when it comes to mechanical stuff, but I'm slowly learning.

As for me, I'm getting a V&H pipe over the winter, and am looking at the free spirits blackhorn air cleaner.

#17 ·
If You buy a new Power Vision you get a Map for your Bike .If you go on a DynoJet they allways sell you a PV with the Map for your Bike.
The Dyno is only for Tuned Bikes when changin more as Filter&Exaust.Esp. Cams or Big bore Kits.

We made some Testrides on a HD Dyna 103 ,it first got a new Map and goes like Hell. .After we go to a Pro with a Dynotester and ,evoila,same Result.350,-$ out for nothing.

If you follow the Instruction wich comes with the PV or on Youtube you wil get good Results.Keep in Mind,buying a sec. Hand PV you need a new License,the old one from the former Bike can be deleted and its all yours.there is a Autotune Setting on Board.

First connect the PV to your Computer and download the newest Version .There are 2 different Cables,first is for older Bikes and sec. is for CANBUS Modells.the dont have CanBus.

#18 · (Edited)
Red Rat,

Awesome reply thank you. It's hard to find Dynos in Japan, and most wont do modifications that aren't Shaken approved. For example, the V&H pipes are too loud to pass the test, so no shops will put them on, or work with a bike that has them on, you have to go back to stock to get things done.

Another question if you don't mind - if I get a power vision and map my bike, can you flash it back to default? Every 2 years I have to pass shaken (various tests - brake distance, lights, etc... but also exhaust volume and emissions) and i'd have to put my regular pipe back on and get the emissions back to a level to pass the test.

*** EDIT

It seems I can copy an original map so I can use that for my vehicle test. Thanks for the information, you guys are amazing.

#19 ·
As CT XR Rider says,,,

simple answer...Get a Power Vision from Dynojet, and buy it from Fuel Moto (best support in the business)

First the PV makes a Copy from your Bike,copy is on the PV and you have to copy it to your computer...)))) Afterthat the World is yours.:clap:
Look for the PV Vids on Youtube or ,,,,,,above".
Normally you get a USB Device with your origin Map from the Dealer but you need the PV Device to put it back to the Bike.Thats it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.