New XR NYC/NJ

Thread: New XR NYC/NJ

Habitual Linestepper

Default New XR NYC/NJ

Hello folks,
    My name is Peter and I recently committed to buying an 09' XR.
    I am the member of several motorcycle forums and am familiar with the general rules of conduct etc...
    I have not owned a modern bike in 10 years of riding. I started with rebuilding older bikes and never stopped, my main rides are a 70' Commando and a 72' XLCH.

Here are the modifications done to the bike V&H 2-1-2 Exhaust, Fuel Pak
    K&N air cleaner
    Some carbon fiber bits
    Barnett racing clutch
    Supposedly rebuilt 6 years ago, some black powder coated engine pieces, new gaskets, cylinders, pistons etc...
    Heads ported, polished.
    Daymaker headlight
    Making - 90hp,76lb/ft

Things I know I need, suggestions/advice?:
    Looking at Pilot 4s as potential new tires
    Needs better front directionals and mirrors (I've seen combos here on the forum I may go for)
    Id like to sort out some kind of fairing/windscreen, Ive done 8 hr days in the wind on my commando and it is exhausting.
    Open to hearing anything anyone wants to say.

Yes, yes I know.. people want pictures. I have a few but am waiting until I have the bike in my possession to post quality ones, on that point I may be persuaded otherwise.

Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Let's Ride

Default Re: New XR NYC/NJ

Welcome from Alabama. I too have an '09. Lots of info here.

Master of Space and Time

Welcome! Sounds like a great bike.

Pilot Roads are great tires for the XR. You can't go wrong there. Great in wet. I think they are up to a Pilot Road 5 now, if that matters.

As to mirrors, alot of owners just flip them. Takes some getting used to, but you end up with a clear view.

Windscreen - I am partial to the Harley short windscreen. I think it works great, is the best looking, and is removable. It doesn't work with all handlebars though and is a bit clunky. The National Cycle Gladiator attaches permanently, and looks like a lighter option.

Good luck with your new bike. Post some pics when you get it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Hi Pete! Welcome to The Forum from sunny SoCal! Congrats on the new-to-you XR1200. Sounds like it is pretty well sorted. I suggest that you put a couple of thousand miles on it (shouldn't take that long ) then decide what modifications might suit you. I too have an 09, purchased new way back then. Still enjoying the heck out of it. Oh, I would not consider an XR a "modern bike". I call it Harley-Davidson's limited production (now discontinued) track bike.
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Raised by Wolves

Welcome Pete, from across the pond. Five years and I haven't solved the mirror problem yet to my satisfaction !
    ZZR1400, XR1200, DR650 x 2
    In bits ;-) DR650, ZXR750

Habitual Linestepper

Hey Pete, I also recently bought an 09 . Not many miles on it so far, i'm a fair weather rider and its been crappy on the west coast. To bad (for me) you're on the
    other coast, you could help me with a neglected 73 850 commando !
    Have fun

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Hi Pete,

The best suggestion I can make is just to trawl through the forum index of thread titles, using the search function accessed through the little magnifying glass at top right. It'll be a long, long time before you run out of subjects and issues to bone up on.

It sounds like the example you're buying is smoked over in the engine department. No mention of suspension mods. If it's an '09 you probably bave a non X, that is, the original model before the X with uprated Showa BPF forks and Showa remote reservoir shocks was released. If it is an '09 you are likely to need to at least upgrade the original shocks which were nothing special, and maybe freshen up the forks, as in fresh fork oil plus or minus some kind of kit- the original non X forks are known for being soft and permitting a fair bit of dive under brakes.

Speaking of brakes, some new double sintered (HH) pads in front are a great idea and a simple upgrade you can easily slot in yourself. I've used EBC, which have been brilliant, and currently have SBS pads all round which are equally good. Doing that is the perfect excuse to flush out the brakes and prime with some new Dot 4 fluid. Watch the 2 small Phillips head screws holding on the front master cylinder cap, so easy to burr the heads.

Like Seamus I like the small Harley Sport fairing and have it on the bike in the warmer weather. In winter I put the larger Harley touring fairing on. If you go that route, you can use the the same mounts and just swap the perspex over with 4 small fasteners. As to mirrors, for me the combination of a pair of narrow bars (Biltwell Mustache bars) and the Sportster long stem mirrors has worked the best, after going through 3 sets of bars and trying the stock short stem mirrors with each. I used to think my rear vision on the XR was poor due to the Harley shake and the narrowish viewing angle past my elbows- then I rode a friend's old Yamaha XV1000 recently...everything behind that was a a complete and mysterious fog.

Glad you're joining us and yeah, show us some pics when you've worked out the pic posting routine.

Cheers,

J.

Habitual Linestepper

Thanks for the welcome and the advice all, I really appreciate any and all feedback, I know first hand how valuable forums like these can be so thanks for having me.

Will spend the weekend taking stock, taking photos and making my list. Not looking forward to my DMV trip/day.

Pilot 4's on the way. Im sure there is no shortage of trick bits for the XR, some I have seen here already.
    Ive been digging around on the forum and was wondering if anyone has a link or resource for a service manual they might be willing to share? I am a degenerate tinkerer, not happy with a bike I cant fettle.

Will be back with photos, questions and hopefully limited concerns. In the mean time, can someone link me to the oil thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet BlackLab View Post
    Hey Pete, I also recently bought an 09 . Not many miles on it so far, i'm a fair weather rider and its been crappy on the west coast. To bad (for me) you're on the
    other coast, you could help me with a neglected 73 850 commando !
    Have fun
    The Commando is special. A magnificent motorcycle that demands a competent and patient rider. I love mine to death, open your wallet and start the restoration, you will never regret it.

the older I get.the faster I was

Welcome from Canada. You have two of the bikes I lusted after in my misspent youth.
    The XR will be a nice addition.

Turtle

Welcome to the forum. I have used the Harley long stem mirrors on both my XR and Springer.

Bronson Wannabe

XR-Pete, Welcome to the group from just up I-95 from you in Connecticut.
    Anything you want to know about your XR1200, you can find here...all you have to do is ask
    Regards
    Roy
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Habitual Linestepper

Spent a few hours this weekend fixing PO ham fist issues, exhaust rubbing on the swing arm, LED strip directionals, poorly mounted controls, back tire from 09' etc...

Engine is tight, sounds good. Early morning DMV tomorrow then on the road. More and better photos to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200719_182222110_1595199304976.jpg   IMG_20200719_182230284_1595199327075.jpg  

used ta could

Good start. Welcome XR-Pete.

Raised by Wolves

Poor XR,
    Longer Dampers from Street Rod?.Seems to be not hard ridden,look for the Footrests..........))))
    Need some new Black on the Engine and Exaust.Good Bike to bring it back to its glory from the Past.Too much Balancing lead on the rear Wheel but nice Lightweigtparts.
    First check the Primarychainsetting when engine is hot,dont overfill the Oiltank,Min. is okay.
    Have an Eye on the Brakefluid Frt&Rear.
    This Bike looks badly maintained but there is Hope.Check out ,,tuning"like open filter &Race Exaust.too
    Lean engine running is common.Dont wrap the Exaust,will crack some times.
    Flea Bay is a good source for Parts if you dont find em here.Many Dealers parting out the XR in the US so you will find a better Filterbox aso.
    If new tires coming next got a new Set of Wheel bearings on Hand.
    Brake Pads,a set of 3 for 20,-$.Same from Honda CB 600,good Chinese Brands work well on mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2013-H...0AAOSwo61cgWOt
    Last edited by Red Rat; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 AM.

Habitual Linestepper

Success at the DMV, on line at 4:30am, done by 10:00am.

After making some much needed ergonomic adjustments to the bike she is once again in comfortable, ridable condition.

Ditched the low bars for stock, turned the throttle damper in (thank god) can't imagine PO had much fun jacked forward with a hairpin throttle. No wonder he only put 1k miles on it since the overhaul. Oil tank was overfilled and dripping a bit on the rear tire, sorted that.

Impressed with the engine, seems to be finely tuned, handles well even with the shot rubber. Overall first impressions are good, I'll be back with more photos and a better impression with the new rubber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200720_162750800_HDR_1595276928643.jpg  

HE who dies with the most toys wins

XR-Pete check the drive belt tension, it looks tight to me. You need to run the belt looser than HD recommends especially with the longer shocks. Lot's of info on the site about it.

Habitual Linestepper

Quote Originally Posted by fwg1961 View Post
    XR-Pete check the drive belt tension, it looks tight to me. You need to run the belt looser than HD recommends especially with the longer shocks. Lot's of info on the site about it.
    Thanks for the tip, I checked with weight on the bike and have a good 60 degree twist behind the front sprocket, maybe .25 inch of play at mid length.

Tires coming off this week and before any substantial miles, will revisit then...

Never was able to find instructions amongst the bickering....haha

User Title Here

Welcome you have a rare silver bike I see.