Wanted: How to look for an XR1200 in the UK? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Raised by Wolves

Default Re: Wanted: How to look for an XR1200 in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnygotham View Post
    Art, Housey:

Thank you both for all the help. I've sent a message to the seller to try and get more background on its maintenance history and if there's been anything done to it. They didn't list if its been dropped or anything like that, so I'll have to see what comes back. I guess I can request the info to do an MOT and HPI check (that was what came up as an equivalent to Carfax in the States)? Fingers cross. If the price seems reasonable to you two given the veteran experience, then that's good as well because I'm not one for haggling too much. I do have to do some research this weekend though to understand the process around MOT, registration/insurance, and finding a good shipper.

If I can ask both your opinions, what seems smart here? It seems pretty universal that you don't buy a bike un-inspected unless you have lots of tools or lots of money to burn (0 for 2 on that front, getting a bike will kick off a whole starting from scratch phase as I've only brought my jacket and gloves here from the US). It seems really odd to try and do the inspection via video call though. It's definitely an 8hr drive, 9hr by train to get there from here. That drive would be somewhat manageable if I was back in the US, but I'm not so sure here. I'd likely have to train it down and back. Maybe this is just a test of my commitment!

I really appreciate how much everyone's helped me with this. It's really incredible. Thank you and I hope you both have an excellent weekend.
    The thing I didn't like about the listing was that there wasn't any present photo's, although the seller has 2095 points & 100% feedback.
    Don't normally like doing it for other people because of the onus it puts on me, but I could have a look for you first to see if I think it's worth you having a look for yourself.
    You might be better hiring a van and driving down to look/pick it up seeing as it's not MOT'd.
    ZZR1400, XR1200, DR650 x 2
    In bits ;-) DR650, ZXR750

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?

I’ve bought a few XR’s blind off eBay. If the seller sounds genuine on the phone I usually take the risk. The XR has a strong motor, if it has had regular oil at 10K miles I’m guessing this one is OK. If you could agree a price of anything up to 5 1/2K and he includes the X shocks he has listed separately I’d be tempted to go for it.
    “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Habitual Linestepper

Hi Housey:

Thanks for your note and advice. He recently posted new photos and it looks really clean — cleaner than that original photo from a while ago. He responded to my message with this note:

Thanks for you message and hope things are OK where you are, there is very little history with the bike, it does show it had it's first service with the main dealer and from then it has been owner maintained, about 2500 miles ago I did a full service using genuine Harley Davidson oils and filter and also fitted a K&N air filter at the same time. These are very straight forward bikes to work on and as my main dealer is a good 200 miles round trip away from me it's just as well.
    My profile is US based so I think he was also a bit thrown off by my inquiry. Once cleared up he followed with:

[...] the only modification that I have carried out is a set of braided hoses to the front braking system, a fender extender to stop muck hitting the front of the engine, I've also fitted a front engine guard, there is an after market filler cap (original supplied to buyer), I have also fitted a radiator guard, I've fitted numerous stainless steel fittings but have all the originals fittings still too. If you have any further questions, please just ask.
    Those all seem pretty sound updates and adjustments given the wet climate here, right?

I appreciate the offer to take a look for me. That's really generous. I thought you two were joking around! I feel a bit strange asking for your help like that — but I might really need it. Before we get to that point though my strategy was: research and ask about the top few things to check on the bike before buying, take the train(s) down to check it, come back up, and then hire a service to pick up the bike and bring it back. I guess I could also rent a van and grab some straps off Amazon, but my newness with the UK always gives me pause. And I don't want to freak anyone out with my buffoonery along the way during a pandemic.

Given yours and Art's generosity, help, and experience, I'd trust if either of you had looked at it and found it to be sound and in good shape — it'd be far more proficient than my inspection. I'd just skip the trip down entirely and buy it and get it shipped up here; put the saved money into a good owners manual and starter tools. I know that's not smart, but a genuine feeling given everything going on currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Houseyhousey View Post
    The thing I didn't like about the listing was that there wasn't any present photo's, although the seller has 2095 points & 100% feedback.
    Don't normally like doing it for other people because of the onus it puts on me, but I could have a look for you first to see if I think it's worth you having a look for yourself.
    You might be better hiring a van and driving down to look/pick it up seeing as it's not MOT'd.

HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?

Housey, if you do go down I’ll pop along for the ride if you pick a dry sunny day. Talk to me on messenger if ya wants to arrange something.

Raised by Wolves

Art, sounds OK, but when's the dry weather? 😀

HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?

Art, sounds OK, but when's the dry weather? 😀
    We could try tomorrow if you’re up for it??

Jonny, there is another cheap black XR in Callington we could check out same trip if you have any interest. The Orange bike does look a better bike if you can get the X shocks thrown in.

Raised by Wolves

Notice there's one in Macclesfield now, bit pricier but lots of spares with it

HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?

Notice there's one in Macclesfield now, bit pricier but lots of spares with it
    Even with the spares and given the mileage I still think its £1200 over priced.

Raised by Wolves

there is another cheap black XR in Callington

Notice there's one in Macclesfield now

fellas , fellas , somewhere in the bylaws there is a requirement to post either pics or a link to any XR that is up for sale

inquiring minds want to know !

George
    I wasn't born in Georgia , but I got here as fast as I could !

2010 XR in BLACK , with Supertrapp , V&H fuelpak , X shocks , Biltwell Tracker bar , Oberon bar-ends . Sargent seat .

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
    there is another cheap black XR in Callington

Notice there's one in Macclesfield now

fellas , fellas , somewhere in the bylaws there is a requirement to post either pics or a link to any XR that is up for sale

inquiring minds want to know !

George

George, just for you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Da...QAAOSwDpte1Jn-

Raised by Wolves

Then there's this one, for people with a different taste to me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Davidson/274382783114?hash=item3fe27d028a:g:rD8AAOSwlZNe01~ N

Bronson Wannabe

Saw one today on the XR1200 facebook page, Fast Orange, 6000 miles, a few upgrades.
    sellers name is Chris Bashall and he is located in Dunsford, Surrey
    Regards
    Roy
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?

Yup both those orange ones are worth consideration Jonny, all of sudden the worlds your oyster. I like the tuned one with the Ohlins shocks but there again Housey says the other one is soooo clean.

Habitual Linestepper

@ CT XR Rider: Thanks for the note. Art had sent me the info earlier today and I just took a look. I'm really not sure I would have found any of these bikes had it not been for this community. Really grateful and looking forward to hopefully talking about riding and working on the bike someday soon.

@ Art: definitely lots to consider with both. I just wrapped work so I'm going to try and sleep a bit and think with a clear mind tomorrow when I get a break. Thanks for your note and I will keep you updated!

Habitual Linestepper

Hi Everyone:

Happy to report with the help of CT XR rider, Art, and Housey, I should be getting the bike next week! It's been a crazy experience trying to get a bike during the pandemic but all of you were so amazingly helpful and generous with everything. Housey especially, my god. Art, you too with helping me understand how things work over here. I'm hoping that someday I can pay it forward with someone else who needs some guidance or help.

Until then, I've been ordered by Art and Housey to post pics once the bike's all good to go. In the meantime I'll keep reading up on UK regs and paperwork while contemplating a battery change to lithium because the garage I found doesn't have power. It'll be exciting to graduate from the classifieds section to the rest of the forum

I hope you all have a great weekend and fun rides if you get out there. Much thanks and gratitude over here.

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by jonnygotham View Post
    Hi Everyone:

while contemplating a battery change to lithium because the garage I found doesn't have power.
    You might be better off spending the money on a solar battery charger!

Master of Space and Time

Glad you found what you wanted. Really good people on here..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12