New owner, new member.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    El Butchero

Default Re: New owner, new member....

That's my old 911. A 1995-spec 993, to be exact, the last of the air-coolers. Come to think of it, everything I own is air-cooled....which is sorta cool. Pardon the pun!

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

I should have known better. Now that I think of it, the 928's had those self enclosed binnacle style headlamps that rotated up out of the guards.

How do you find Porsche spares in the US for prices? Years ago a friend of mine bought an old and knackered 928. He wanted a full set of plug leads as part of an engine freshen up. The local Porsche dealer quoted him $750 AUD for a factory set. That's about $450 USD at current exchange rates, and I stress we're talking maybe 16 or 17 years ago. After he came round from fainting he declined the transaction and made up a set himself from plug wire and terminals he got at an auto parts store for about $50 AUD. True story & I've never looked at Porsches the same way since.

J.

El Butchero

Yeah, parts prices are typically pretty high (as are labor rates), and from what I can gather, 928s remain one of the most complex machines known to man (!) .... so that car is likely an extreme example. 911s are pretty simple, and there are a lot of them around, so it's not too bad. Unless you need an engine rebuild. I call it my 4-wheel motorcycle, and the way it drives and feels and sounds, that's a pretty apt description. (Sorry for getting off track here... I'm sure there's a rule against this sort of thing!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	242132

Master of Space and Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell184 View Post
    Yeah, parts prices are typically pretty high (as are labor rates), and from what I can gather, 928s remain one of the most complex machines known to man (!) .... so that car is likely an extreme example. 911s are pretty simple, and there are a lot of them around, so it's not too bad. Unless you need an engine rebuild. I call it my 4-wheel motorcycle, and the way it drives and feels and sounds, that's a pretty apt description. (Sorry for getting off track here... I'm sure there's a rule against this sort of thing!)
    No rule against getting off track here! Hell, that is all we do on this forum! #XROGADHD

p.s. Welcome from NJ

El Butchero

Well, I think I'm in the right place, then! lol

used ta could

Cool. Your first discovery session with the XR. Wrenching on them is a hoot.

the older I get.the faster I was

Getting off tra-- oh look a squirrel

El Butchero

Yep. The real wheel was a bit tricky, especially to reinstall, but finally figured it out. I wasn't sure on belt tension, but then remembered I had a manual. Doh! I have to mention this...I figured suspension action - with those upper-end pieces - would be fluid and compliant, but the bike feels taut and rides pretty rough on rough pavement. Is that what ya'll X-owners experience? I've ridden a lot of bikes with Ohlins (and Ohlins-level) bits and they are typically much more compliant than this feels. The weird part is that I have preload in back set on the soft end, click #2 of five or six. The springs feel pretty firm, which is always a surprise on a production machine (most are sloppy, especially with fat old me on board), but this one isn't. It's funny, but the Livewire was similar; very taut in terms spring- and damping-wise, which, again, was a surprise. Gonna mess with it. Anyway...would love to hear what you guys with X-models think.

the older I get.the faster I was

There are only two things wrong with Harley shocks.
    The left one and the right one.

El Butchero

Ha! But these are SHOWA shocks and the Big Piston forky, and the hype said they're premium and all that ... Marketing hype? Or do others have the same issue as I do? Do tell!

But I really mostly enjoy the shouting

Quote Originally Posted by ytman View Post
    Awesome! Let the fun begin. Looks fantastic. Looks just like mine when my wonderful wife gifted her to me. Pipes and all. Cept for the bungies. Congratulations
    Now that's a wife. You at least got her a horse?

used ta could

Ha! But these are SHOWA shocks and the Big Piston forky, and the hype said they're premium and all that ... Marketing hype? Or do others have the same issue as I do? Do tell!
    Sorry Mitchell184. They’re kaka. Of course that is just my opinion. If you’ve had the pleasure of riding Ohlins you know what good boingers are and these aren’t it. Cartridges or emulators up front and aftermarket in the rear.
    You just have to decide if you want to go longer or not.

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

For me the OEM Showa piggy-back reservoir shocks and BPFs were too lightly sprung for my weight (I go 245-250# suited up). I found them bottoming out on both ends. I currently run Racetech shocks with heaver springs (increased rate) on the rear and my BPFs have been outfitted with heavier springs and Racetech Gold Valves.

My suggestion is to ride it for a few months, a season, or more, and decide what you might want to do, if anything, to the suspension.
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

El Butchero

Now that's really weird. I'm a bit heavier than you and my suspension is much harsher and firmer than yours (based on your description), even on lower preload settings. Which tells me they're not right, or have been re-valved. I've been riding and racing with Race-Tech stuff for years, and may go that direction eventually. Gotta put more miles on and figure out what's what, but hey, that's what I do anyway, so it's all part of the deal. When I worked at Honda R&D back in the day, I learned that OE money is NOT spent on suspension units, which seems to make sense here, even when said units are marketed as higher-shelf than normal. Time will tell! Thanks.

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Mitch et al,

Just my .02 worth but I'm only about 175lb and find the X shocks on my non X '10 just fine- after they were rebuilt and set up for my weight. A decent bike suspension place should be able to do it.

One small thing though, I'm probably going to have to look at putting the upper part of the belt guard back on. The R side shock has begun to weep oil again a few years after having seals replaced. Suspect the shock seals/shaft have suffered from some years of road grit being thrown up past them. Blame the idiot owner, at his age he really should have known better.

Lovely shot also of the 911 in what looks like the same spot. Fantastic paint!

J.

used ta could

Quote Originally Posted by Clunderthoud View Post
    Now that's a wife. You at least got her a horse?
    Shes an awesome wife Mike. She went through a major ordeal to get this machine for me. She’s making little horses out of big ones. A horse would not be a good gift for her. Haha.

Shack I don’t know if you like the look or not but I just put some ATV shock covers on my rear shocks to keep them from getting pelted by rocks. They helped a lot on atv shocks in the desert. FYI

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123