New owner, new member.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    used ta could

Default Re: New owner, new member....

Welcome Mitchell184. I hope you like your new bike. Having ridden so many machines it should be easy for you to adapt. I’ve seen it many times, people love the look of the XR and say”now there’s a Harley I could ride”. Within 2 years the bike is for sale. Every bike is faster. Every bike is easier to ride. Every bike is easier to ride fast. They don’t ride how they look. If you’re a tall man it will be easier. I hope you enjoy it and stick around for a while.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Enjoyed the article, Jim, not sure how I missed that one first time round. Looking forward to Mitch's participation and perhaps some of his war stories from bike journalism.

J.

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Hi Mitch, welcome to The Forum from sunny San Diego! Congrats on the new-to-you XRX
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

But I really mostly enjoy the shouting

Welcome to the New Believers! My first Harley too, after 20+ Jap bikes. I'm completely of the same opinion in my old age and love her, like finally dating a big-boob stripper because I don't care what anyone thinks anymore.

I devoured many issues of Motorcyclist during the 80's, and wondering if you are the same guy that took that ride in the F-18, and purchased my girlfriend's 84 XL250?

Sorry Mitch, went back and saw that you just want the stock header pipes. Mine came that way with Termi slip-ons and I like the look and sound. Also know what you mean about Fast Orange with blacked out underpinnings. Would look really cool. I just blacked out the valve tubes and swingarm on mine and am very satisfied with that look. Other subtle cosmetic changes included painting the front fender to match. I just like it that way. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0505201527a.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	242070

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Extremely good looking specimen, CT. But what crash brace is that?

J.

Raised by Wolves

Glossy......

New Owner/Members allways welcome

El Butchero

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XR2.jpg 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	242084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XR1.jpg 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	242082

Hi Guys

Did a sixteen-hour drive yesterday in my Ram 1500 from Salt Lake to Denver and back, with a 40-minute paperwork trade and short test ride in the middle. It was a bit hellish, especially halfway back through southern Wyoming (hey, I’m old), but overall it was great, as the bike was every bit as clean and unmolested as it’d looked in the photos and video I’d gotten from the seller.

Aside from a little patina on the tail section (that Denim paint seems way-too-easily scuffable), the thing is nearly factory fresh. It runs great, starts immediately, idles perfectly, and ‘carburets’ seamlessly, even with the aftermarket exhaust. I’m pretty happy with the entire purchase, which is a rare thing when buying used bikes. The riding position seems about perfect for my 5’ 11” frame, and I loved the shape and height of the bar. (I’m gonna try to upload a photo or two, but it seems a bit confusing, but I’m an electronic moron in many ways.)

Still not sure what I wanna do on exhaust; ideally I’d get a stock satin header and add a set of cool, retro-esque mufflers without the ‘race-can’ look. But hey, the search for the right sound and look is part of the fun, I’m thinking. A buddy of mine says his 2-into-one D&D exhaust pushed the power down a bit lower, and he seems to love that, and while it seems reasonable to expect that, I have no clue. But I’m sure some of you have direct experience here. Also looking to add the orange body parts; I have a line on a tail section, I think, but still need a tank cover. Anyone got one laying around?

For Clunder: Yes, the F18 ride was me, but I don’t remember ever buying an XL250.

For Shack: War stories from my years in the biz? Oh yeah…SO many of those. Happy to share when appropriate. Gonna write a book on all that at some point. It won’t be a big seller (as Malcolm Smith’s autobiography, which I helped him write, has been), but it will be entertaining. If folks only knew….

For YTman: No chance of that! This is a definite keeper, like my CBX and GS1000S and first-year XR75 and SL70. It’s also a soon-to-be classic, if it isn’t already.

For Horosho: I’m not in LA, so I can’t make the So Cal Epic Ride, but one of these days, yes.

Thanks to everyone for the shout-outs! It already feels like a cool place.

Last edited by Mitchell184; 5 Days Ago at 12:29 PM.

used ta could

Awesome! Let the fun begin. Looks fantastic. Looks just like mine when my wonderful wife gifted her to me. Pipes and all. Cept for the bungies. Congratulations

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

She looks great Mitch. An excellent pick up, and in great nick with a Corbin, the V & H pipes & X suspension already. You're on your way. An orange body kit might take a while to put together, the bits aren't as common as a few years ago, but with patience...

J.

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Get it on brother!!
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Your description of your ride in the F-18 was epic. I would love to get a reprint.

I felt like I was right there passing out with you, with "..arms feeling like electrified blobs of jelly"

If you decide you want to part with those VH pipes, I would be interested..
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Shackman View Post
    Extremely good looking specimen, CT. But what crash brace is that?

J.
    Those are T-Rex Frame Sliders. Excellent product, they look good with the bike and oh yeah - they work.

used ta could

Looks like you two could just trade exhausts. Want for want.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    Glossy......

New Owner/Members allways welcome
    Thanks RR. Detailing my bike puts me into a Zen-like trance..

Quote Originally Posted by ytman View Post
    Looks like you two could just trade exhausts. Want for want.
    I would do that. Even throw in the stock cans. I'll wait'll Mitch settles in with his new machine and see what he wants to do.

El Butchero

I'd be interested in that, for sure. I'd send you a PM, but I don't think I can until I have 15 posts! lol. Three Ten, Eight Four Nine, Eighteen Forty Five!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell184 View Post
    I'd be interested in that, for sure. I'd send you a PM, but I don't think I can until I have 15 posts! lol. Three Ten, Eight Four Nine, Eighteen Forty Five!
    I'll get in touch with you and we'll set up the swap!
    Mike

El Butchero

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alta.jpg 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	242130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunlops.jpg 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	242128Thanks, Mike.

And wow....what a difference yesterday made. Put new Dunlop Roadsmart 3s on the X in place of the well-worn Metzelers yesterday and couldn't believe how different the motorcycle was during a trip up Little Cottonwood canyon to visit Alta and Snowbird. The dual-compound Dunlops totally transformed the bike; perfectly linear steering, killer bump compliance and way more grip that I could ever use. I was grinnin' all the way up and back, and am looking forward to another spin up there (or to Brighton or Solitude instead) this afternoon. Just wanted to share....Yeeeee haa!

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Good to hear. That's a superb pic of the XR in the mountains, btw, your journo skills evident there.
    And do I spy a 928 in the lower pic?

J.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast