Flashing the ECU
    Habitual Linestepper

Default Flashing the ECU

Hello all. My name is Joakim. I am Swedish living in Switzerland. I am new here. I am from the Ducati world and have been there the last 25 years. I am thinking that I might need to buy a XR1200.

The question is what are the possibilities when it comes to flash the ECU or whatever you call it on a HD.

I have been tuning and mapping fuel and ignition my and my friends Ducatis the last 15 years as I like to build engines and to make them run perfect. If I would buy a bike I need to have the posibility to map it my self. Its just how it is for me.

Which are the posibillities? Is it any good software available to download and upload the maps to the ECU? Which software does people use to edit the maps? On the Ducatis I used Tuner Pro. Any advice and experience is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jocke

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

USAF (Ret.)

Default Re: Flashing the ECU

Pretty easy to do with PowerVision, you can go to YouTube and search "PowerVision" and there are a some videos from the company on how to use it.

Raised by Wolves

Hi Jocke

Also have a look at the Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner (SEPST)

With your experience it may suit your needs

SEPST.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Habitual Linestepper

Is it possible to disable the lambda sensor with the software?

Tweaker of Things

If you set the AFR value to anything other than 14.6 in a cell in the AFR mapping table, the lambda sensors will be turned off for that point. Set all of the cells to something other than 14.6 and you fully turn off the sensors.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Hi Jocke

SEPST.jpg

As far as I know the SE tuners are no longer available from Harley.
    I think they got into trouble with the EPA for altering tail pipe emissions. Or something to that effect.
    The SE tuner marries to the ECU you use it on, which means it can't use it on any other bike.
    I read that some guys can hack them to disable this "feature".

The Super Glide I just bought came with a tuner but no cables.
    I was able to download the software from the net, And I was able to buy cables from HD.

Raised by Wolves

This video may offer some answers to your questions about tuners.

There's a fine line between tough and dumb...

I bought the TTS MasterTune; it's not a piggyback system, but actually reflashes the ECU. I didn't do the tuning myself; relied on my local dyno guy. The tech at my HD dealer recommended the TTS over the Screaming Eagle, saying that it allowed adjustment of more parameters. Also, Twin MC (source for my TorqueHammer 2 exhaust) recommended the TTS.
    Roger Smith
    2012 Harley XR1200X
    2020 Triumph Speed Twin
    2009 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 Honda ST1300
    1973 Honda CL350

Habitual Linestepper

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Hi Jocke

SEPST.jpg
    I did some quick googling on the SEPST. As far as I understand it only uploads generic maps. I did not find any info on making custom maps. I also did not find any information with regards to individual maps for front and rear cylinder. Does any one have some more information with regards to the capabilities of SEPST.

What I want to do is to pull the map from the ECU, switch of the lambda, perform road and dyno test with lambda sensors connected to both cylinders and record by runs with my external data logger, create my own fuel map with individual cylinder maps and upload it to the ECU again.

Jocke

Tweaker of Things

I think PowerVision is the only tuner that will let you pull a map and tune.

Older SERT And SEPST would let you fully tune but not download. Current Harley tuners wont let you tweak the ECM like you want.

TTS Mastertune will let you fully tune, but not download.

In general with the flash tuners you have to have a saved copy of your map, or start from a new map and save your new tuned version to work on later.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Bronson Wannabe

The PowerVision from Dynojet with the upgrade of the Target Tune module with wide band oxygen sensors is really the best way to go, in my opinion.
    Regards
    Roy
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Raised by Wolves

There are some great threads on here regarding tuning, have a read of this one for a start!

https://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/si...ighlight=sepst

Bucking the trend

I also recommend the TTS tuner. The HD SE tuners are very limited in what you can tune, so is the V&H FP3.
    I don't have much experience with Power Vision, but I think they're getting hard to find, at least for XR's.
    The TTS is pretty complex, but it sounds like that's what you want. I had my XR dyno tuned by a pro, since I only know enough to get my ass into trouble!
    But I'm happy with the results.