Lifting the bike for Ohlins Install - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Raised by Wolves

Default Re: Lifting the bike for Ohlins Install

Quote Originally Posted by Houseyhousey View Post
    Decaf, if it would help could you remove or reduce the spacer shown by the yellow arrow?
    Attachment 242424

Hey Housey, I think you might have hit it. After you said that I looked back at the Ohlins instructions and it looks like they are suggesting putting both washers on one side...that seems counterintuitive, but its clearly in the pic and it might helpe me gain clearance.

Capture.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Raised by Wolves

Ok, let me go ahead and close this thread out since its starting to confuse everyone!

Yes, I used two spacers on the left side and that left just enough room to clear the bracket connecting the stock exhaust together (as pictured). I used one spacer on the left hand side as two spacers made the shock too close to the rear brake and scratched it. Its installed, buttoned up and I will stick with just the Ohlins 852. I am not using the Twins risers or the Sato Exhaust Bracket, I went back to the stock passenger bracket to hold the stock exhaust. I can flat foot the bike, so I must have achieved the same effect. I will report back on my ride quality once it stops raining here. Thank you for everyone for being helpful!

Sidenote: Yes, I left the lowering links on as I had no other lock nut for the bottom bolt of the shock besides that!

Raised by Wolves

I just finished a 500 mile trip this weekend, hitting some great routes up and near Harrisonburg, VA and Charlotesville, VA. A litte bit of the blue ridge, a little bit of skyline. The bike handled exactly like I wanted it to. The seat made it comfortable. The new air filter boosted my mpg to 40.

YTman - I owe you one, you were right. The bike is right where I want it to be. I stayed with my sport touring buddies tail while he was riding his Yamaha FJ-09 and didn't miss a beat. The front end is not excellent, but its not awful either. I can ride it as is for quite a while.

of course, that didn't stop me from getting a quote from racetech right?
    Without shipping, they said new springs, new oil and a gold valve would run me $680. To switch over to an externally adjustable suspension, i am looking at $1800. Holy Mula, Batman.

From my searching on the forum, the gold valve is a PITA to install yourself. However, I did notice during the ride that my right fork was slightly leaking fork oil and bubbling the paint, so I may need a rebuild sooner then later:

20200627_194321.jpg

So long story short, I don't think I can afford a racetech front end but i do feel comfortable rebuilding my own forks and can drop in new springs and new oil myself. What weight is the stock spring on the XR set for?

used ta could

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    I just finished a 500 mile trip this weekend, hitting some great routes up and near Harrisonburg, VA and Charlotesville, VA. A litte bit of the blue ridge, a little bit of skyline. The bike handled exactly like I wanted it to. The seat made it comfortable. The new air filter boosted my mpg to 40.

YTman - I owe you one, you were right. The bike is right where I want it to be. I stayed with my sport touring buddies tail while he was riding his Yamaha FJ-09 and didn't miss a beat. The front end is not excellent, but its not awful either. I can ride it as is for quite a while.

Without shipping, they said new springs, new oil and a gold valve would run me $680. To switch over to an externally adjustable suspension, i am looking at $1800. Holy Mula, Batman.

From my searching on the forum, the gold valve is a PITA to install yourself. However, I did notice during the ride that my right fork was slightly leaking fork oil and bubbling the paint, so I may need a rebuild sooner then later:

20200627_194321.jpg

So long story short, I don't think I can afford a racetech front end but i do feel comfortable rebuilding my own forks and can drop in new springs and new oil myself. What weight is the stock spring on the XR set for?
    Decaf you don’t owe me diddly. I’m happy to hear that you got your machine more to your liking. So many XRs are sold with very low miles because they look like one thing and handle like another. When I first got mine I hated the way it rode. I literally thought” how am I supposed to ride this thing”? It don’t turn. but I loved the look and the motor so I set out to change the bike and the YTman into a fun handling duo. I love my XR now.
    You have the best rear end you can get. I would definitely match the front. I know it’s bucks but doing the springs and oil is a great step. Unfortunately HDs idea of dampening leaves so much on the table. Most of all..do what it takes to have fun riding like you just did! Something you can do for free, that you can change right back if you no likee, is raising the fork legs in the clamps. I raised mine up 1/2” to see if I would like the feel of a 17” front wheel. I liked it a lot.(maybe your FJ buddy will be following you)
    HouseyHousey’s idea about the spacers was a good one. So obvious yet so DUH!

Raised by Wolves

20200627_194321.jpg

I think the stock spring rate is about .65, which, if you go by Racetech's numbers, would be for a pretty darn light guy. I am 200 lb, and the correct spring rate, again according to Racetech, is 1.00; bit difference. I did the whole thing; new springs with the correct rate for my weight, gold valve, heavier oil. Huge difference. After I put proper shocks set up for my weight on the back, I hated the stock front; it was a really bad mismatch, with the stiffer rear end really accentuating the shortcomings of the forks. Did the front, and...whole new bike. Do it. You won't regret it.

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by gerrychuck View Post
    I think the stock spring rate is about .65, which, if you go by Racetech's numbers, would be for a pretty darn light guy. I am 200 lb, and the correct spring rate, again according to Racetech, is 1.00; bit difference. I did the whole thing; new springs with the correct rate for my weight, gold valve, heavier oil. Huge difference. After I put proper shocks set up for my weight on the back, I hated the stock front; it was a really bad mismatch, with the stiffer rear end really accentuating the shortcomings of the forks. Did the front, and...whole new bike. Do it. You won't regret it.
    Wat he^^^^said^^^^. I had a similar experience. Money for good/correct suspenders is likely the best $$ you can spend on this bike.
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Raised by Wolves

It seems timely that the week after I received that Racetech quote, I get the opportunity to buy a set of fully adjustable hooked up forks! (Thanks for the forks, Jamie, but also the baseline settings you were using!)

My plan is to do a dump and run with some fork oil before installing them. Anything to watch out for when take the top cap off? Assuming I dont need any special tools to just swap fluids.

20200705_101754.jpg

used ta could

Congrats on your purchase! Most of us are less fortunate in the timing department. Haha. I hope they fit you right. Makes all the difference in the world.

Raised by Wolves

Yeah, I usually can time blowing money just right. Mostly, because there is never a right time.

I just snuck a test ride in with the new forks. Holy bananas, Batman. I can rail it. The front brakes can stop me with much more vigor, i now realize because I am not diving. The U-Turns are back to the level they were when i had the risers on. I now realize I was overcompensating for the front dive. I'm ecstatic about the way this bike handles!!!!!!

I took your advice and did drop the forks a bit lower (1/4 inch).

used ta could

Yeah, I usually can time blowing money just right. Mostly, because there is never a right time.

I just snuck a test ride in with the new forks. Holy bananas, Batman. I can rail it. The front brakes can stop me with much more vigor, i now realize because I am not diving. The U-Turns are back to the level they were when i had the risers on. I now realize I was overcompensating for the front dive. I'm ecstatic about the way this bike handles!!!!!!

I took your advice and did drop the forks a bit lower (1/4 inch).
    Decaf I am totally stoked for you! Too many owners won’t take that $tep and will never realize what a fun ride the XR can be. (Even stock X forks are not that good)I dropped mine 1/2” because I planned, or at least dreamed of planning, to put a 17” front wheel like the race bikes had on. With quality suspension there is no wobble or even a hint of the ill handling some have spoken about. Again....I’m pumped for you!

Raised by Wolves

Excellent! You just can't appreciate how inadequate the stock front forks are until you upgrade, and then you spend the next while kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. Glad you made the change, and that you are enjoying your "new" bike!

User Title Here

FYI, what I've used successfully, both installing 2" taller shocks, and then factory height shocks back again, is a cheapo bottle jack between the top of the rear tire and the plate that connects the rear "subframe". Its steel, part of the tail light assembly, and plenty strong.

I took these pics with the tail pan off to show it better.

By the way, it makes swapping even one shock at a time easier, as the bike wont sink when one shock let's go. 20200914_232519_1600238246715.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

used ta could

Brilliant. What a great idea.

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Almost exactly what I do, but with an old mechanical scissors jack. Works fine, just a bit more clumsy. Only difference is I aim the jack at the next bracket towards the motor so the lifting action is parallel with the arc of the swing arm. But as always, what counts is what works.

J.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234