XR1200 Owners Group banner

East Coast XR1200 Ride .... Sometime After May 10, 2020. Any Interest?

11K views 68 replies 20 participants last post by  Ranman12 
#1 ·
Last year I had a conflict with the Waynesville get together as I had promised the grandson we’d do a camping ride to visit his great-grandfather. We had a wonderful trip, camping on the Natchez Trace and riding 1500 miles up the Blues Highway (see Hwy 61 Revisited) ;) .

Anywhoooo this year his break from college begins May 8. I’m thinking he’s experienced enough to tame the Dragon at this point. So, instead of heading west this year, I’m thinking about showing him the way to Waynesville and Hwy129.

Sooooooo, before making any firm plans, just checking to see if anyone has been making any plans for an East Coast Blowout.

:)

#43 ·
Glad to see you keeping a hand in it and I haven't had a drink since last November except for one of my good Aventinus beers. Come to think of it I haven't even had a good cigar since then!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#48 ·
Not that I consider myself "essential", but I believe returning Canadian citizens are allowed in. My fallback position, of course, is to claim that I am a refugee. The Trudeau Gov't will put me up in a five star hotel for a few years and pay me handsomely while my claim is processed. Not a bad gig.

Nice to hear from you Harry. With the races cancelled, how was "Bike Week"
As long as you have good Scotch and cigars,you should be ok:beer:
Bruce, hope you are well, and virus free...I've kinda given up on Bike Week...too many $50K choppers and BossHoss customs...last couple of times I've gone with my son (his March Break ) we caught some vintage flat track at Volusia County Speedway, and some David Allan Coe at the Iron Horse, and finished with a couple of hours at the Expo. That was enough.

I'll quit hijacking this thread now, but gotta say I miss you all.

#51 ·
Good question! On the upside it would be great to support those guys, the roads will be open (or at least I think they will!) and probably won't be crowded, and riding is social distancing. On the downside I would think most restaurants and bars will still be closed or carry out only and the area draws from all over, hard to imagine that some of those folks won't be brining the virus along with them. I figure that if I get it I get it but I don't want any part of spreading it to my family or anybody else for that matter. So...I'm on the fence. If I had to decide today I would probably go and wear a mask, douse myself in hand sanitizer, etc. since the riding is so damn good and it's the one time of year I get to do it most years but I'm not at all sure. I guess I'll see what the next week brings but I hope we can pull it off.

#54 ·
It's a no go for me too. Not too worried about myself as i don't fit into any of the high risk categories except maybe being a bit old, but i wouldn't want to catch it and not know it. Ol lady has some health problems and i wouldn't want to bring it back home.

#55 ·
Doesn't matter to me in all honesty because safety is numero uno! I'm good with the watch and wait or postponing to a date that works for everyone. I have a feeling this stuff is going to be around for a long while. Whatever you guys decide I am furloughed for that week so I will be on two wheels getting lost anyways ++.

#59 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I believe the restrictions for funerals are being lifted in my state this weekend. We wouldn't expect high risk individuals to come to a 500 person or more funeral but we should have a good turnout with maybe 300-400 bikes in the procession even with the Corona still going on. It's what he wanted. Damn it hurts though cause he was younger than me by quite a few years. I brought him into the club 8 years ago and he had so many projects going. That Corvette is never going to be finished like he wanted it. Those bikes too. Life is precious and it's not guaranteed so live it to the fullest and don't look back. RIP Bandido Chop.

#62 ·
So upon consultation with some of the best minds in the XROG and in consideration of North Carolina's stay at home order it seems like it would be a good idea to postpone this meetup/ride. I am super bummed since this is pretty much the highlight of my riding year every year. Seems like we get a pretty good turnout in August when we get together then so let's hope this thing gets cleared up and we'll see everybody in the late summer!

#63 ·
yup... I was really looking forward for the long road trip down to see everyone again. Looks like I'm out of this one, maybe if its postponed for later on in the Summer, I'll be able to attend. take care everyone and stay safe.
Regards
Roy

#65 ·
I think it's a good idea to postpone till later also. Especially since I'm in the middle of a kidney stone fight. And I'm losing. Going in Monday morning to the hospital and getting blasted. Doc put a stent in Thursday but couldn't do the blasting because I'm on blood thinners and he said if we did blast then it would bruise the kidneys. So I think the stent stays in till like the 23rd. And that's when we're supposed to be in NC. So, August might work.

#67 ·
August would work for me too. We always have a Labor Day party out west somewhere so that week would be a no go for me. What with a broken ankle last year and the virus shutdowns this year plus riding the "new to me" BMW i still have plenty of tread left on the new tires i put on before we did this last year. Dang Jimmy. hope that kidney stone thing gets better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.