Spark Issues - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spark Issues

Tweaker of Things

Default Re: Spark Issues

Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    LOL, I don't know how many times I have heard that. The converse is also true..........
    The obvious corollary!
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

User Title Here

Harley Blacktown charge 150 per hour for labour all up it cost me around 550 to have it fixed fairly cheap considering I spent near a thousand dollars to try working it out, anyhow thanks again for all ya help trying to nut this out done me head in for a while but me bikes going all good now and running grouse, been riding flat out since got it back, I missed out on atleast 6 months riding due to being ill and being broke down but some one said on here stay stubborn and it paid off, cheers guys.
    I am sure I am a Real Biker riden thousands of ks, Own one Pair of Jeans and Smell Like a Old Billy Goat Hidden Content

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Well done, glad you didn't bail. Now ride the wheels off it. And maybe run some injector cleaner now and again, I use Liqimoly 4T fuel system cleaner which is a specific bike fuel injection product Autobarn stock and it's around $25. A German product and I actually can feel a difference in how the bike runs better after using a 125 ml can.
    And while I'm endorsing aftermarket products, perhaps consider a pair of NGK Iridium plugs also. Good for 100 K km, which in my case will take another 10 years to reach as I'm at 48 K km right now...

J.

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Shackman View Post
    And while I'm endorsing aftermarket products, perhaps consider a pair of NGK Iridium plugs also. Good for 100 K km, which in my case will take another 10 years to reach as I'm at 48 K km right now..
    I got into this discussion on a ZX14R website where NGK said the plugs are good for 65k, but Kawasaki recommend replacing them after 7k, why bother I said?
    A respected tuner said he didn't think it was worth it until he dyno'd a bike 18 months after he tuned it and it had lost 18bhp, after a bit of head scratching and his intregrity being called into question he replaced the plugs and the output went up by 20bhp, a 10% increase????

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

So I checked the website of NGK Australia. Their standard nickel alloy plugs are rated at 20 - 40,000 km, the Iridium IX (not sure what the IX denotes) are rated at 60,000 km, and the Laser Iridium at 100,000 km.
    I suspect that advice from Kawasaki relates to standard, non platinum, non iridium plugs. And even then, it's exceedingly conservative. My standard, non Iridium NGK's in the front bank of my 3.0 L V6 Mitsubishi last 2 or 3 years before needing a change. That's about 25,000 km.

As for the tuner's experience, if a particular motor had lost 10% of its output just through plug degradation over time I would have half expected it to be showing other signs of sub optimal combustion as well that he should or would have noticed, eg, poorer fuel consumption, misfiring, perhaps even dropping cylinders under load etc. Btw, if the bike motor the tuner speaks of was making 200hp on his dyno with new plugs and thus optimised combustion, that's one very angry motor if it's in a street bike. I struggle to believe the tuner put Iridiums or even Platinums in that motor if it lost 10% of its hp in 18 months. No way should they degrade that quickly- the whole idea of using these exotic metals in spark plugs is their durability and consistent quality of ignition over a long, long life.

I know I wave the flag for NGK a bit here, but I had an experience many years ago which sold me on them- I had a set of 4 standard nickel alloy NGK plugs in my old Yamaha XJ 650 and completely forgot about them for years. And I do mean years. When I dug them out maybe 5 or more years after installation (50,000 - 75,000 km) the finger electrodes were eroded down to a stub and the gaps had opened up to around double the gap of a new set. The bike was still running normally, no issues with misfiring or chewing through too much fuel. A mate who was involved in open wheel racing wasn't suprised that the NGK's had held up, he rated them highly. I have stuck with them since and never had a problem. For the car I mention above, the rear cylinder bank is shrouded by the intake manifold, so those plugs I gladly keep Iridium and only have to change out each 10 years. Fine by me even at $25 a plug.

J.

User Title Here

yep I use Iridium plugs have done since putting the Power Commander V on it. The plugs are grouse Iridium plugs here are expensive but worth every dollar . a mechanic told me to run a tank of E10 occasionally just to keep the injectors clean but will see if I can find Liqimoly here in oz. also I was told that I should be using 95 fuel but when running it my bike back fires often, Have been using 98 fuel since puting the commander & dyno it, runs perfect, usually change me plugs every service at 5 to 10000ks just because I do.
    I am sure I am a Real Biker riden thousands of ks, Own one Pair of Jeans and Smell Like a Old Billy Goat Hidden Content

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Shackman View Post
    Btw, if the bike motor the tuner speaks of was making 200hp on his dyno with new plugs and thus optimised combustion, that's one very angry motor if it's in a street bike.
    Standard output for a Gen 2 ZZR1400 with cat removed and tuned to suit and boy are they fun

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123