track time

Thread: track time

Habitual Linestepper

Default track time

Hey, any of you socal guys ever do any track time,,,willow springs, buttonwilow,chuckwalla. I just bought the sportster "xr1200" that someone on here posted, and it/I, need to get it's/my legs out.....It's begging for a ticket. I know you all call it an imposter but it's asking for a track

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

used ta could

Default Re: track time

Congrats on your purchase getagrip. I don’t think she’s an imposter at all. I love the way she lumbers around the corners and torques off. I’ve spent a bunch of dough making her as much of a “race bike” as I can. I don’t even live that far from Willow Springs Raceway. The thought of going around the same series of corners a bunch of times and perfecting lines, speeds, apexes, approaches and exits appeals to me a great deal. I guess the fear of pushing our limits beyond available grip and throwing my beauty on the ground is what keeps me away and the idea of getting a “track bike” is financially out of the question. I would want everything I’ve put on my bike on that one too. I’m probably overthinking it and could go and spend a nice sunny day at the track cruising around.
    If you find you want to raise the back of your bike up to give yourself more clearance let me know. I made some risers that you could try so you can see if you like it and also see if there is any clearance problems with pipes, swingarm, etc.

E725EB1A-E617-4B50-848E-1B09A6021E90.jpeg

Not me.

Habitual Linestepper

The track is much safer than the street. The rear end is fine, has ohlins fully adjustable,,,front is stock so I'm investigating that, weather to respring or go inverted. I just tried to order mikuni carb jets and they can't ship to CA,,,gov't knows what's best.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Bronson Wannabe

your XR has a carb???
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Habitual Linestepper

like I said it's an imposter,,,your '83 is carbed?

Habitual Linestepper

I would rather work on a carb than a computer

Bronson Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    like I said it's an imposter,,,your '83 is carbed?
    yup...carbed times 2

07640018.jpg
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Habitual Linestepper

carb's bigger than motor is always a good problem

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

getagrip,

John in Melbourne writing. Your XR1200 has a carb? What can you tell us about it? Mikuni/Solex/Dell Orto or what?
    There have been a few brave souls who have retro fitted carbs to XR's, but none I knew of in Aus before you.
    My orange '10 has the original EFI with a few enhancements but I'm not tempted to go carb.
    I understand about your XR begging for a ticket and I scored a few in the first some years of ownership, but nowadays I'm more cautious when and for how long I give it it's head. Victoria Police are not a particularly forgiving bunch, I doubt the NSW cops are any more easy going.
    Where in the Blue Mts are you? Away from the fires I hope...

J.

used ta could

I obviously didn’t read your post close enough. How about a pic of your new bike?

Master of Space and Time

I am not in SoCal, but understand there are several track day providers for various tracks. I am only chiming in to recommend that If you have never been to a track, to consider a track school as a good safe intro. I am partial to California super bike school, but I think there are many other providers in SoCal. Rick Days from RickDiculous Racing sounds like a good one (Ken Hill has a podcast which is very good).

Master of Space and Time

Quote Originally Posted by CT XR rider View Post
    yup...carbed times 2 07640018.jpg
    Boy do I like this bike !!!

User Title Here

Take it to the track, you don't know until you try. And congratulations on getting the bike.

Habitual Linestepper

IMG-5124.jpgIMG-5125.jpg
    I stripped it down, just needs front end work. I'm still researching that.

Master of Space and Time

Coming along nicely. Looks great. Pardon my spelling, but have you thought about a Cenilie front end. That spellings way off

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by poolpawpaw View Post
    Coming along nicely. Looks great. Pardon my spelling, but have you thought about a Cenilie front end. That spellings way off
    i think PPP was referring to Ceriani?
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Habitual Linestepper

It seems Ceriani is European/Itialian and storz has them whom I've talked with. Racetech is where I'm thinking, they have inverted or respring options and are here in socal, not to far so I can get my hands on it before buying. Thanks, the more info the better.