Floating Rear Rotor
    used ta could

Default Floating Rear Rotor

I recently picked up this disc on eBay, along with some other things. It is not made for the XR but the bolt pattern is the same. The hole in the center has been machined larger to fit. It bolted right up. The only thing that would make me happier is if the bolt holes were recessed a little so the fasteners had a little more clearance to the caliper mount. I havenít ridden with it yet (inclement weather) so I donít know how well itíll work yet. Iíve read that a floating rotor is not needed on the rear but anything has to be an improvement over stock.
    Iím trying to find out what bike this disc is actually made for. The Galfer site is in Italian. I see the words Harley Davidson and Storz but I canít make out what model it would actually fit and I didnít see anything on the Storz site. Itís more of a curiosity than anything and perhaps the info could open doors for someone willing to machine metal and perhaps make an oversized rear setup or something cool like that.

15F17532-83D6-4A8F-9CFC-F58E482DD141.jpeg

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Master of Space and Time

Default Re: Floating Rear Rotor

ytman, the Galfer disc DF691FLW is listed to fit the STORZ XR1200; if I remeber right, Harley paid Storz to use the name "XR1200".

So maybe the disc fits the spoked wheels (hubs) of the "original" (Storz) XR1200.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-29 um 19.11.06.jpg

df691flw-galfer-disco-freno-flw.jpg

787a6bb7bc04ed9f443b5ce7398f6e60.jpg
    Last edited by thomgoo; 11-30-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Master of Space and Time

The DF724FLW is listed to fit the XR1200; it's 260mm and 56mm (the DF691FLW is 254mm and 50.5mm)

DF724FLW.jpg

DF724FLW_2.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Master of Space and Time

Here also the Galfer front rotors that are listed to fit the XR1200:

DF680.jpg

used ta could

Thanks for that thomgoo!!! The Galfer USA site shows no rear discs fitting the XR1200 and no front discs fitting the other Sportsters when using their parts finder feature. It looks like most Sportsters use the same size discs front and rear, respectively.

Master of Space and Time

You're welcome ytman; here you'll find all information about the Galfer discs / rotors and pads:

https://www.galferonline.es/Sites/ga...iculosRef.aspx

used ta could

I’m not sure why someone would go through the trouble to machine out the hole in a disc when there are units that fit but I hope it works. Otherwise........dems the brakes. haha

Raised by Wolves

Harleys havin uncommon measurements.Thats for shure.Even in the HD Product Series the Rotors fits most only on one Modell.
    Its allways a Difference in the outer and inner measurement and the Size or Style of the Screws.In the early Days it was easy to swap Rotors.Times change.
    Its Part of the Business makin Money by confusing the Customers first.No,i dont find cheap Sportster/Dyna Rotors fitting on the XR/X.
    Thats why BREMBO Dics for a Sportster will not fit to the XR/X.Difference in Price is around 50$ each.The XR/X is very Special so Discs cost,s a lot more .I tryed to fit Dyna FatBob Rotors in the Front.They fit bur causing Problems with the calipers.Machining outerside Diameter is possible but the Pads touching the inner part of the Rotor.Its a mess..........................

Master of Space and Time

Red Rat, the "standard" HD 292/56mm front rotor fits many HD models; including the XR.

1.jpg 2.jpg

The XR rear rotor (260/56mm) is a bit more special.

3.jpg

Life begins at 180 mph

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Galfer-DF72...0AAOSw1IhcJUiv This is the rear disc that you need for the XR`s

Master of Space and Time

Quote Originally Posted by thomgoo View Post
    ytman, the Galfer disc DF691FLW is listed to fit the STORZ XR1200; if I remeber right, Harley paid Storz to use the name "XR1200". So maybe the disc fits the spoked wheels (hubs) of the "original" (Storz) XR1200. Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-29 um 19.11.06.jpg df691flw-galfer-disco-freno-flw.jpg 787a6bb7bc04ed9f443b5ce7398f6e60.jpg
    Yes, you're right. Harley paid Storz for the rights to the XR 1200 name. And that's also the reason Harley had to wait till 2009 to release the XR's here in the states while for Europe they were released in 2008.