Burning oil?

Thread: Burning oil?

Bucking the trend

Default Burning oil?

I have a 2011 XR-X that I bought in Sep '18 with only 980 miles on it.
    I now have 6K miles, I did services at 1K and 5K, using Amsoil 20-50 and K&N oil filters.

The bike is stage 1; V&H Widows, K&N AF (stock box) and dyno tuned with a TTS.
    But recently it seems to be "drinking" oil - about 0.5qt. every 300 miles or so.
    It doesn't smoke, no leaks, breather hoses are good.
    Anybody seen this?
    Is it "normal"?

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

User Title Here

Default Re: Burning oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Diablo View Post
    I now have 6K miles, I did services at 1K and 5K, using Amsoil 20-50 and K&N oil filters.

But recently it seems to be "drinking" oil - about 0.5qt. every 300 miles or so.
    Anybody seen this?
    Is it "normal"?

Thanks guys.

Definitely not good....either a cracked cylinder, cylinder head, head gasket, or blown main....

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

I suspect that what you are experiencing is the typical blow-out that a hard ridden XR usually has. If you are prone to twisting the throttle a bit the XR will blow out some oil from the reservoir till it reaches a certain level then it will hold at that level. Usually just barely touching the dipstick. You do have your dipstick properly closed down right?!

My advise would be to ride it a bit longer before you refill the tank and continually check the oil level. I bet it drops to a certain level and stops dropping. If it does that then adding more oil occasionally will keep what is left fresh till you hit the time to change oil then just start the process all over again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

User Title Here

Check the fluid level in your primary .....best it’s overflowing with engine oil ; (

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by drjmba View Post
    Check the fluid level in your primary .....best it’s overflowing with engine oil ; (
    That I would do!

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Diablo View Post

Anybody seen this?
    Is it "normal"?

Thanks guys.
    You are checking the oil level when the engine is hot? That is the preferred method. The level should be in the middle of the marks when hot. If you are checking cold, it will show very low if at all on the dipstick. If you are adding oil when it is cold to get it to full, you are just blowing it out..

Also consider at 980 miles, it isn't even broken in yet. It seems that some of these motors take a few thousands of miles before the rings seat.

My XR burned at least a quart between oil changes up to about 15K to 20K miles. Like you I was a bit concerned. But there was no smoke when starting or downshifting etc. and it ran great. After 20K, I use none to at most a 1/4 of a quart between oil changes depending on the temperature and how I ride. I have 0ver 70K miles now and it is the same.
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Bucking the trend

Thanks for info guys.
    It's actually less than I thought, like 1/2 qt every 600 miles or so, maybe less.
    I am checking it hot, and the cap/stick is all the way down
    I did the last two services, and there wasn't excess oil in the primary. (can that really happen? I didn't think they were connected)
    But: I think Sadwings has a point; it does seem to stop dropping at a certain level (just touching the dipstick when hot).
    I'll continue to keep an eye on her.

Whistling Dixie!

My bike did the same. It blows out around half a quart and holds that level forever.