Mini Bikes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Bikes

But I really mostly enjoy the shouting

Default Mini Bikes

Who among you was fortunate enough to be allowed a mini bike before you were of legal driving age, becoming the envy of all kids within riding distance? Who cared if it was only 2hp, it was 2 wheels and a motor!

Which bike did you have? Any memorable (or even painful) mini bike stories? Don't you wish you had it back to go with your XR??

One of my favorite yearly events to attend has been Joe's Mini Bike Reunion at Crescenta Valley Park in La Canada, California. Classic restored minis, monster minis, rolling mini-works of art, about a hunnert or so to satisfy your trips down memory lane. Or maybe...you may get the urge to get working on your own creation..?

The show seems to be getting larger, and has been covered by Hot Rod Magazine, Roadkill, etc.

This year's show is Saturday, October 19th from 8 am-3 pm. Look for me with my painfully restored 1968 Bonanza BC1300 (Although I may cut out early, as my GF got us Pat Benatar tickets for that evening).

I also have a restored 1969 Taco 22, as well as a 1970 Schwinn Stingray. I take these to classic car shows and they get more attention than the cars!

www.joesminibikereunion.net

Hope to see some of you there, guarantee you'll love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Default Re: Mini Bikes

I have no idea what brand mini I had when I was 5 years old but I do, somewhere, have video proof that when I got on it for my first ride I went WFO my first throttle twist. To be followed shortly there after by getting it high centered on something and having a complete meltdown at the camera man. My dad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Bronson Wannabe

In the back of "popular mechanics" magazine, or it could have been "Boy's Life", there was a ad for a Lark mini-bike with a 3-1/2 hp Tecumseh engine. Me and my younger brother harassed our parents for one, my Dad made us a deal that if we were to get half of the money, he would kick in the other half. It took about a year for us to raise half doing odd jobs, paper routes, leaf raking for the neighbors.
    finally, the day came when a decent size box arrived at our house, we hurried to open it up, and were surprised to see that some assembly was required, we got out some tools and went to work.
    after a couple of hours, she was ready to try and give it a start, a few pulls on the pull cord, the engine started up. My Dad wanted to be the first to ride it, he grabbed a handful of throttle, pulled a giant wheelie and was running behind the mini bike right out of the driveway and into the woods.
    my brother and I ran to see if he was OK, of course we were really wanting to know if the bike was ok as well!

i remember that very well, and I haven't looked back since.

After the Lark, we got a Benneli Buzzer 50 cc, then came a Bridgestone 100cc, at 17 years of age, I got a Kawasaki triple 350cc, then another Kawasaki triple 500cc, then in 1978, while still in the US Army and stationed in Washington D.C. I bought a new Kawasaki KZ1000, in 1983 I bought a Harley XR1000 (still have that one) and in 2009, I bought a Harley XR1200 which I will probably keep forever. And I owe it all to that first Lark mini bike!
    Regards
    Roy
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Quote Originally Posted by CT XR rider View Post
    My Dad wanted to be the first to ride it, he grabbed a handful of throttle, pulled a giant wheelie and was running behind the mini bike right out of the driveway and into the woods.
    my brother and I ran to see if he was OK, of course we were really wanting to know if the bike was ok as well!
    I have no idea what brand mini I had when I was 5 years old but I do, somewhere, have video proof that when I got on it for my first ride I went WFO my first throttle twist. To be followed shortly there after by getting it high centered on something and having a complete meltdown at the camera man. My dad.

Two stories so far with Keystone Kops endings...Keep 'em coming!

Raised by Wolves

My Dad worked really long hours and wasn't home much . I kinda think he liked it that way .......... sadly .

He occasionally made up for it with surprises , usually for both my brother and me .

The first big one ( literally ) was a pony with I was 8 or 9 and we lived in TN .
    That guy was a lot of fun to ride but he scared me so much with his choppers
    that I always had to have someone else put the bit in his mouth !

Then after we moved to FL he bought us a mini-bike when I was around 12 . I believe it was foldable .
    Don't remember much about it or riding it . But it sparked the life long love of 2 wheels with a motor .

My mother hated that Dad got that , she was scared for us I guess .
    So every bike after that was 100% on me , my brother wasn't bitten like me .
    My next bike was a Honda Cub 50 that I bought the day I turned 14 , the legal age to get a learners in FL .
    I do think I had more fun on that little thing than any bike since .

Then a Honda 160 , a BSA 650 , a Kaw 500 Triple , then off to college and a motorcycle hiatus for a few years .

George
    I wasn't born in Georgia , but I got here as fast as I could !

2010 XR in BLACK , with Supertrapp , V&H fuelpak , X shocks , Biltwell Tracker bar , Oberon bar-ends . Sargent seat .

Raised by Wolves

Didn't have a mini bike, but the first bike I rode when I was about 11/12 was a old beat up lambretta scooter with no front brake and a dodgey back brake that was either OFF or stuck on
    Me and a few mates used to take it in turns to ride it around my fathers field, used to be great fun, especially in the wet when you had zero grip and anything from vertical usually resulted sliding across the grass and losing your turn
    Driving bikes & cars around the farm was probably some of the best years of my life, fun & carefree, risk what risk

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

No minibike at the Shackman Jr household, but somwhere in the photo archives of the late Shackman Sr is a snap of me at 12 belting along a country lane on a 50cc stepthru belonging to a farming family we were visiting. And "from little things, big things grow"...

J.

XR Pirate

Love 'em! I've had a few Fox Doodlebugs One had a Two-Speed JackShaft and would pull to 50mph!
    My Current Mini is a Mock-up XR...ilujhljnkl.jpg This One Pictured is For Sale in Illinois on the Facebook Marketplace! https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4288095006943/
    Sent From My Rotary Phone

Quote Originally Posted by EricVonZipper View Post
    Love 'em! I've had a few Fox Doodlebugs One had a Two-Speed JackShaft and would pull to 50mph!
    My Current Mini is a Mock-up XR...ilujhljnkl.jpg This One Pictured is For Sale in Illinois on the Facebook Marketplace! https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4288095006943/
    That's yours for sale? Wonder how much to ship to CA..

This cat has seven left..

First bike I ever rode was a mid-sixties Tote Gote. (Spelling is not wrong.). That was on a 600 acre farm in the Catskills back in the 70’s. I left NY 25 years ago but my sister somehow ended up with it and it has been sitting in their shop ever since.

Fast forward to a month back when she and my brother-in-law end up driving out here with their van. Strapped to the back bumper was the old girl with a fresh coat of paint. After 35 or so years it had started with a couple off pulls. I needs a little more work to run better at altitude and the name badges are still under restoration but here is a picture of my daughter taking one of her first rides on the very same bike I first rode forty some years ago.

FADE0797-9FFE-4600-B369-3E787C2992F3.jpeg

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Hell yeah! Put that thing back in service corrupting the youth of another generation!

What exactly is going on with the rear tire on that thing??!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Habitual Linestepper

So funny Clunderthoud,
    I still have my 1967 bonanza and have also attended Joe’s mini bike Reunion. Unfortunately I’ll be in Idaho next weekend.. 8DB5EEBC-3EF5-4272-A486-62BC8E879A8C.jpeg
    P.S. I’m the original owner 👍🏻

That's a great bike 'deuce! You still have the original motor?
    Rather be in Idaho myself..

That's a keeper, lucky your sister never had a garage sale! I've seen a few of these at the classic minibike show.

Habitual Linestepper

Not sure what happened to the old Tecumseh 3.5hp

Raised by Wolves

Here's my mini-bike when I was 11y.o, 1971 Yamaha 60cc Mini-Enduro

Yamaha_71-Mini-Enduro.jpgYamaha_71-Mini-Enduro_2.jpg

Saw an advertisement for these in Boy's Life magazine. Another older boy in my neighborhood had one, but had gotten a bigger Yamaha DT-100.
    Yamaha_72_DT-100.jpg
    Buggered the crap out of parents to get me the Mini-Enduro. Caused some serious arguing between my parents over the subject. Dad bought the neighbors bike, I rode it home and immediately did a low-side in the front yard, right in front of my fuming mother standing on the front porch! Haven't been the same since that first ride!
    '11 XR1200x | '06 FLHR | '04 FXDL

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by rrmdeuce View Post
    So funny Clunderthoud,
    I still have my 1967 bonanza and have also attended Joe’s mini bike Reunion. Unfortunately I’ll be in Idaho next weekend.. 8DB5EEBC-3EF5-4272-A486-62BC8E879A8C.jpeg
    P.S. I’m the original owner 
    I see you have an old MAHERAJAH water ski on the wall too! Sweet! mine is long gone. I do hae a couple of late model HO's and a RADAR.
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

I'm slow

I have a cheap Chinese ssr 125 knock off for the kart track.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Habitual Linestepper

THANKS Fellas!!!

For this thread that put me on another trip on "The Way Back Machine" this evening.

I hadn't even remembered the Bonanza name until I saw this thread! Am a 64 yo bike addict. My older brothers best friend was the first/only kid I knew who had a "Factory Made" mini bike. That bike looked as good to me then as ANY high dollar Indian or Harley today. When I got to take it for a spin LIFE WAS GOOD!!! Ours was a bike that my other older brother built that used bicycle parts, frame, front fork/wheel, Ape Hangers, seat, etc. and a lawn mower engine. I got to make ANOTHER trip to Juvenile Court because "The MAN" caught me ridin that amazing machine around our neighborhood... I KNOW what that first shot of Heroin feels like, because its' the same feeling I got on that mini bike. AND just like the H addict - I'm STILL LOOKIN for the "Original High"... Did Bonanzas' ONLY come in Blue?

XRated

Wow, never seen anything like it. I need one for running my dog along the beach

Originally Posted by EricVonZipper

My Current Mini is a Mock-up XR... This One Pictured is For Sale in Illinois on the Facebook Marketplace! https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4288095006943/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast