Anyone see this article? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master of Space and Time

Default Re: Anyone see this article?

Quote Originally Posted by OnthewrongPlanet View Post
    Great to be reading some honest feedback here for a change instead of koolaid bs.
    Its a major factor why HD did not keep up with competitors models if ppl buy HD even if its served as a shit sandwich. Its not too hard to make a frame from aluminium instead of old Texas Oil drill rods, a 6 speed gearbox, suspension setup with better rated springs and 100hp std is very easy.
    I always wonder what it was that stopped progress to meet global customers expectations
    48437d55f913b15e31b115b7326c02e7.png

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Quote Originally Posted by dj121 View Post
    I too agree with you, it was very Harley-esque and foolish to make a bike that had no adjustable suspension, not enough horsepower. Buell had laid out the template for them in terms of the motor and components, and the XR is a more beautiful than the Buell, but just too heavy as you said. I went and looked at the FTR and it looked as though Indian used the XR as a starting point and just improved it. The components and the build look high quality.
    And did you check out the price tag with it fully kitted out? By the time you get the FTR looking as good as the XR, and I don't think they can be since an XR looks more like the demo bike than the product on the showroom floor, well with that amount of money you can build an XR that can compete performance wise!

You know me, I am making zero excuses for the MoCo and I would give the management there not just an earful but a size 12 riding boot in their asses for dropping all pretenses of bikes that can handle.

The only light on the horizon I see is that at one point Mopar who wrote the book on NASCAR and NHRA, well Chevy&Ford&Pontiac&MercuryEtAll did by whining to the rules committees, at one point performance didn't exist at Mopar in a single car they offered. Now look at the Redeye and Demon. There is hope but the MoCo needs to wake the hell up and do it fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Raised by Wolves

For sure man, they need to capture that younger generation. One of the amazing things about Harley is that no other company can make something with less horsepower that is so usable and fun to ride. #the45degVTwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    And did you check out the price tag with it fully kitted out? By the time you get the FTR looking as good as the XR, and I don't think they can be since an XR looks more like the demo bike than the product on the showroom floor, well with that amount of money you can build an XR that can compete performance wise!

You know me, I am making zero excuses for the MoCo and I would give the management there not just an earful but a size 12 riding boot in their asses for dropping all pretenses of bikes that can handle.

The only light on the horizon I see is that at one point Mopar who wrote the book on NASCAR and NHRA, well Chevy&Ford&Pontiac&MercuryEtAll did by whining to the rules committees, at one point performance didn't exist at Mopar in a single car they offered. Now look at the Redeye and Demon. There is hope but the MoCo needs to wake the hell up and do it fast.

Habitual Linestepper

From my European point of view: you are more than 100% right about this... For several reasons...

Yes, Harley Davidson should have made the XR1200 a lot better, lighter and more powerful, but would it not have turned out to be just another bike, you would have passed on by, without that special feeling you get from a bike that just is not perfect at all...?

I mean...the FTR...really to me is just another pointless bike without any passion...imperfections...just another perfect industrial turd that leaves you without complaints and will leave you without that special bond you"ll build up with your "far from perfect" XR1200.

You'll purchase a FTR with the same dead feeling as you'll have when you'll sell the FTR one or two years later; it never touched you... it is just another empty bar of nothing...It is so perfect... you'll probably forget all about it, once you've sold it, and you'll probably even forget to ride it while it is in your possession...

Really guys (and dolls), let's face it: If we would have want a perfect bike, we would have purchased it in the first place and we most likely would not have this global website as an tribute to our perfect bike.

My personal statement: A perfect bike is boring.

I'll take my XR1200 100.000 times over any FTR or any other soulless or inanimate perfect piece of machinery...

Even a heavily under powered XR1000 is starting to get tempting to me...
    Go baby Go ! Hidden Content

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by Duchy J View Post
    From my European point of view: you are more than 100% right about this... For several reasons...

Yes, Harley Davidson should have made the XR1200 a lot better, lighter and more powerful, but would it not have turned out to be just another bike, you would have passed on by, without that special feeling you get from a bike that just is not perfect at all...?

I mean...the FTR...really to me is just another pointless bike without any passion...imperfections...just another perfect industrial turd that leaves you without complaints and will leave you without that special bond you"ll build up with your "far from perfect" XR1200.

You'll purchase a FTR with the same dead feeling as you'll have when you'll sell the FTR one or two years later; it never touched you... it is just another empty bar of nothing...It is so perfect... you'll probably forget all about it, once you've sold it, and you'll probably even forget to ride it while it is in your possession...

Really guys (and dolls), let's face it: If we would have want a perfect bike, we would have purchased it in the first place and we most likely would not have this global website as an tribute to our perfect bike.

I'll take my XR1200 100.000 times over any FTR or any other soulless or inanimate perfect piece of machinery...

At least we can agree whole heartedly on this Jerry!

Speak to Roy (CTXR) about XR1000's. He has had one one from new.

J.

Habitual Linestepper

Hey there,

yes John, yes we can ! The only thing we need to do is stay on topic XR1200 and related topic I mean.

This cat has seven left..

I just got done reading my first review of the FTR and saw one in person for the first time over Labor Day weekend. This pretty much sums up the feeling I have had about it since it was first announced. It just doesn’t do anything for me at all. I guess the imperfections of our beloved XRs is part of the secret HD formula that has captivated the traditional owners for all these years but just never appealed to me since I was never in the market for a cruiser. I knew it wasn’t necessarily the ‘best’ bike on the market when I bought it but it has swagger and represents the soul of the sport It’s SUPPOSED to be a little rough around the edges damnit!

The MoCo should take note of these observations as I think we represent the outer fringe of the market that they seem to be trying to reach now that their traditional customers base is dwindling. XR 2.0 would be a relatively easy update to add to their lineup. as per some of the suggestions outlined in this thread and would give them another opportunity to recapture additional ROI on the original design. It could also give them a legitimate presence back in a sport that appeals to a younger demographic that they are trying to reach. A legitimate challenger to the FTR would give folks a contender to root for which could help restore brand loyalty yet again. I don’t need or necessarily want a replacement to my ‘09 but if they ever do revisit it with a proper update I would be tempted.

Whistling Dixie!

XRII would have to have the same riding position with maybe a slightly more lean forward position maybe even an adjustable handlebar setup of some kind, four valve engine with a minimum of 125/100 hp/tq, below 475lbs but 450 should be the target, optional electronic riding assist stuff (*shudder*), top shelf suspension and brakes, top shelf suspension and brakes, top shelf suspension and brakes,,, and maybe this time have a frikin t-shirt and screaming eagle stuff offered for it!!! I still find it hard to believe that they started a race series but never had a licensed shirt or patch for the XR. I guess they let the advertising department handle that as well and we all know what THEY did for the XR.

Habitual Linestepper

XRII would have to have the same riding position with maybe a slightly more lean forward position maybe even an adjustable handlebar setup of some kind, four valve engine with a minimum of 125/100 hp/tq, below 475lbs but 450 should be the target, optional electronic riding assist stuff (*shudder*), top shelf suspension and brakes, top shelf suspension and brakes, top shelf suspension and brakes,,, and maybe this time have a frikin t-shirt and screaming eagle stuff offered for it!!! I still find it hard to believe that they started a race series but never had a licensed shirt or patch for the XR. I guess they let the advertising department handle that as well and we all know what THEY did for the XR.

Yeah, and we'll probably end up with a All new 2020 Street fighter dressed with the 2009 XR1200 Orange Tank and seat

So picture this Street Fighter in XR1200 looks

Habitual Linestepper

Anyone with photos shop experience..? --> making this 2020 Street Fighter into an 2020 orange XR1250...?

Whistling Dixie!

That wouldn't work dude,,, no WAY an orange Harley makes that many horses!
    Styling is all wrong on the Streetfighter to give it the XR logo.

Habitual Linestepper

That wouldn't work dude,,, no WAY an orange Harley makes that many horses!
    Styling is all wrong on the Streetfighter to give it the XR logo.

True..., butttt what if this bike would be available in Street Fighter. model ...and in a Flat track XR750-ish XR1200-ish look in orange with of course the XR1200 seats and an Dirt track handle bar and so forth...
    Basically just the frame work and the engine to share, maybe even the wheels and brakes.... but entire different looks like the XR1200 is

So yeah, I can see this happen in the future: the XR1250...in my personal favorite color: Harley Davidson Orange (Sun shine Orange?)

Why not ?

Habitual Linestepper

The XR can’t come back. To try to do so would be ridiculous. I love my XR and plan to top 100k before I entertain getting rid of it. But let’s be real; the XR wasn’t competitive even when it was new. It was a Sportster first, and a fast bike second.

First, let’s remember how pricey they were. The MSRP was around $11k? A Super Glide was $11,900. For a grand, you could graduate to a big twin (that couldn’t turn to save its life, but that’s another story). Think of the poor salesman trying to sell this “cool Sportster”, when a Big-twin Dyna is right next to it, just 900$ more. Probably 20$ a month more financed? Then that salesman has to explain to his boss why he sold this guy an XR that has no accessories, when the barebones Dyna could have been kitted out with bags and windscreens and skull clutch covers and tassels and whatever else could be tacked on. It’s a lose-lose for the dealer.

Follow that up with this: who was probably inside a Harley-Davidson dealer 2008/9? Sons of Anarchy larping baby boomers, flush with cash right before the recession. The Orange County Choppers crowd. Yeah, that’s stereotyping, but let’s be real: it’s the truth. I’d bet that those Super Glides by themselves outsold XRs, not to speak of other Dyna models.

So let’s talk about the FTR. Faster, lighter, cool gizmos. It *starts* at 13.5, and that’s the base model. The XR was as cheap as it was thanks to shameless pillaging of Buell. It was a Sportster with cool heads, a lightweight swingarm, and sorta-rearsets. The FTR is way more committed to being cutting edge and fast, and is more expensive as a result. Would you have paid 16k for your XR, if you could get 100-110ish hp and maybe 490 lbs? Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn’t. Harley was banking on making the bike with as little R&D as possible, and passing the savings along.

I love the XR, because it makes a fabulous commuter bike, and is basic enough that you can fix it with a good socket set and some Allen wrenches. I think it’s a wonderful compromise between sport tourer and cruiser. It’s crazy unique, and I get asked about it every other gas stop.

But yeah, it’s basically a 2009 version XLCR.

Raised by Wolves

The XR 1200 is dead.Long live the XR....))))))

Destroyer of worlds

....I mean...the FTR...really to me is just another pointless bike without any passion...imperfections...just another perfect industrial turd that leaves you without complaints and will leave you without that special bond you"ll build up with your "far from perfect" XR1200.

Really guys (and dolls), let's face it: If we would have want a perfect bike, we would have purchased it in the first place..
    There’s no such thing as a perfect bike, and anyone who really rides knows this.

Regarding the FTR, it is far from perfect, they have fueling issues, tuning issues, typical first year glitches, but it is a great tribute to Indian’s success on the flat track, which is what it was designed to be. If you call making an homage to the last few years of kicking HD butt passionless, then you don’t understand American motorcycling. The FTR is all about passion.
    GORT

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    There’s no such thing as a perfect bike, and anyone who really rides knows this.

Regarding the FTR, it is far from perfect, they have fueling issues, tuning issues, typical first year glitches, but it is a great tribute to Indian’s success on the flat track, which is what it was designed to be. If you call making an homage to the last few years of kicking HD butt passionless, then you don’t understand American motorcycling. The FTR is all about passion.
    They just forgot the looks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12