Anyone know how to rattle can paint a gel-coated fiberglass tail section?
    User Title Here

Default Anyone know how to rattle can paint a gel-coated fiberglass tail section?

I purchased a fiberglass mono seat for my XR that is gel coated only. Does anyone know if that is ready for paint, and if so, what kind of paint should I use? I'm under the impression I can't use ordinary rattle can automotive paint. Anybody know anything about this sort of thing? I want to paint it to reasonably match my OEM orange tail section.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

used ta could

Default Re: Anyone know how to rattle can paint a gel-coated fiberglass tail section?

Quote Originally Posted by Excessivemachine View Post
    I purchased a fiberglass mono seat for my XR that is gel coated only. Does anyone know if that is ready for paint, and if so, what kind of paint should I use? I'm under the impression I can't use ordinary rattle can automotive paint. Anybody know anything about this sort of thing? I want to paint it to reasonably match my OEM orange tail section.
    Have a painter that knows how to match Mirage Orange?

Clunderthoud calls out the rattle can paint in this thread for that fruit color that people like. (rhymes with door hinge)

User Title Here

Default Re: Anyone know how to rattle can paint a gel-coated fiberglass tail section?

Thank you

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by Excessivemachine View Post
    You must sand (prepare) the gel coat on the fiberglass prior to painting. Otherwise the paint will flake off or the finish will be otherwise unacceptable.
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Habitual Linestepper

And seal/prime the gelcoat as sanding will open pinholes in gelcoat.

Habitual Linestepper

I painted mine with GM engine red it matched pretty close. They have a couple of shades so its best to bring the part to the store. Use a compatible clear coat the first time mine bubbled up so I had to sand and respray
    Attached Images Attached Images