My little adventure on XR - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Raised by Wolves

Default Re: My little adventure on XR

Spent a couple of days at Greenwell Point.
    Chris has bought a old EH Holden station wagon as a project to keep himself busy while he’s down the coast. I think the EH is a1964 model. He’s not doing a full restoration on it , he just wants to get it on the road and registered. Gave him a hand to get some of the electrics working.

5A11C95D-7085-48A0-9EE5-7AA0A2444005.jpg

76CD92DE-4108-4EC0-9E19-AB5859DCD452.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Raised by Wolves

Couple of days later I had to start making my way back home to Queensland.
    On my way through Sydney I got caught up in Sydney peak hour traffic, not very nice at all, and on top of that this happened.

A1D6C835-FE7F-483A-AD0A-D532BEA0FE93.jpg

Got a a puncture in the rear, must’ve ran over a large bolt as the Tyre deflated immediately. Had to use four puncture repair strips and it was still hissing air to get to the nearest bike shop.
    Hawkesbury Honda was great in getting me back on the road by fitting a new tyre as the old one could not be repaired.

F85DF76D-4B53-4BEF-A1BC-B93F59B19BAA.jpg

43376BF7-E62B-492C-9B57-2785D3828773.jpg

They had had a Pirelli Angel GT II

Raised by Wolves

Kept heading north that day, the riding was shitty, had gusty strong westerly winds all day, not a nice day on bike.

Finally just before dark pulled up at Bendemeer Showgrounds and pitched tent. I stuck to my guns and refused to pay for accomodation on my last night before home. We had done the whole trip and free camped every night except when staying at friends places.

B834929D-DDCA-4CF2-A394-5BDF934028F0.jpg

Raised by Wolves

Arrived back home next day and my little mate was waiting for me on the back deck.
    He visits nearly every day.

Its a Kookaburra

426D9606-8104-4A02-A924-0DCB4B0AB64F.jpg

14 days on the road and 5,500 klms covered, visited mates and road through some beautiful country.

The XR performed better than I expected with no issues apart from a dodgy battery and tyre puncture. It averaged 18 to 19 klms per litre and in one instance I stretched the tank to 410 klms, it used about 250 ml of oil, I never had to top the oil level in tank, it carried 23 litres of fuel in tank, 4 litres of water, food for 3 days at a time so we could be self sufficient out camping etc, plus the full camping kit and clothes for 2 weeks.
    Comfort was not an issue even on the 1000 plus klm first day.
    The bike had me grinning every time I fired it up in the morning, I’ve done these sort of rides on so called adventure bikes before and I never wished on this ride to be on anything else.

DC2423AC-DDE9-494D-93D8-022EFA939EB2.jpg

Raised by Wolves
    Up a dirt road in the middle of the Portuguese Alentejo. Beautiful.

Bonzer trip Hoges!

Ps: I got the "bonzer' from an online translator, ain't technology wonderful?

Don't touch me there!

This is fantastic - looks like you had a great time! Thanks for posting this Hoges, I really enjoyed following along

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

If I get another XR it will be to dress it up exactly like you have done yours! Before I did all the mods to my bike I had no reservations on taking it down the gravel roads back in Mississippi. Looks like you had one hell of a trip and we are grateful for you to take us along with you and your excellent XR!

One question though. The river that the dangly bits got washed in,,, would it be inhabited by salties and did you warn the people down stream to not drink the water for a few days?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Bronson Wannabe

Hoges, what a brilliant trip report!!, Thanks so much for taking us along with you.
    im glad the extra capacity of the Singh tank served you well, and finding a Angel GT2 was a real bit of good luck.
    one of the best threads of the year!, thanks again...best wishes for your mate who is in remission, hoping for the best for him, no matter how much time he has left.
    Regards
    Roy
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Raised by Wolves

Thanks for the kind comments.

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    If I get another XR it will be to dress it up exactly like you have done yours! Before I did all the mods to my bike I had no reservations on taking it down the gravel roads back in Mississippi. Looks like you had one hell of a trip and we are grateful for you to take us along with you and your excellent XR!

One question though. The river that the dangly bits got washed in,,, would it be inhabited by salties and did you warn the people down stream to not drink the water for a few days?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the compliments.

I just found out in the last week that the Murray River is the 10 largest river in the world. Obviously not in width as you can swim across easily but in length, I think it’s about 2,500 klm long.
    Fortunately the salties are in rivers much further north, I think the only thing in there of any size would be the Murray Cod.

Raised by Wolves

Mate you are a bloody legend

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

I concur with Roy, thread of the year.

You've shown guys overseas, which comprises most of the XR forum, some really authentic content from remote and regional Oz. I'm quite chuffed about that, plus you did it all on an XR, an obscure, low volume Harley model which as you've shown can hold its own with established all road tourers after a few well chosen mods. I presently have the big screen and Barkbusters also and am looking at a couple of LED spots like yours. But I most envy you that big Singh tank. You've won the lottery there, Hoges- yours doesn't leak and is a monster for capacity. 400 km (240 miles for 'mericans) range is the stuff of dreams for most of us if we contemplate trips.

Your travel photography is great also, you have a keen eye for a picture that tells a story. Great stuff mate. And bests to Chris from all of us. Looks like he is doing everything possible to enjoy life and stay well. Tell him to join the forum and keep us posted on the EH restoration! I'm sure there's a bunch of guys who have never heard of Holden or their glory days here in the 1960's.

Cheers,

J.

Raised by Wolves

Hoges, great recount of your trip, makes me, (and a few others I suspect), envious of you, Nowhere that remote in UK.
    Amazing that the XR put up with those 'roads'. not many of them looked tarmacked, still had less potholes than British roads though!
    Best wishes to Chris,

the older I get.the faster I was

Thanks for sharing, I don't know what to say that has not already been said.

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Hoges, that looked like a great ride out. You sure seem to do it right! That XR seems to be set up and work perfectly for what you are asking of it. Thanks for sharing the ride report and the pics.
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Raised by Wolves

Epic
    Nice pictures

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. -Steve Jobs

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!
    Faster Pastor
    Casablanca, Morocco
    2008-XR1200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12