Air Filter Installation

Habitual Linestepper

Default Air Filter Installation

Hello Everyone, Going to install a new air filter in my 2009 XR. I haven't done it before, and I have a question. I saw on a K&N video that grease needs to be applied along the edge, I know they sell their own grease, but is there a certian type I can buy to use without ordering theirs? Also, I know installing this is a little more involved than a lot of other bikes, so any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

There's a fine line between tough and dumb...

Default Re: Air Filter Installation

Not sure where you're located, but the K&N grease is available at most automotive parts stores here in the US. (I have a Free Spirits intake on the XR, but I've used the K&N grease on some of the other bikes.)
    Roger Smith
    2012 XR1200X
    2009 KLR650
    2005 ST1300
    1973 CL350

Tweaker of Things

Alas, I'll admit to never using the grease. And, never having a problem with edge seal.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

used ta could

Quote Originally Posted by freddy4321 View Post
    Hello Everyone, Going to install a new air filter in my 2009 XR. I haven't done it before, and I have a question. I saw on a K&N video that grease needs to be applied along the edge, I know they sell their own grease, but is there a certian type I can buy to use without ordering theirs? Also, I know installing this is a little more involved than a lot of other bikes, so any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike.
    Both my K&N’s came with a tube of grease. There isn’t any mention of it so I bought a tube with my first one. Now I have three.

Habitual Linestepper

I assumed I'd have to order it, I'll check the auto parts store. Thanks!

used ta could

Do you have the filter already?

Master of Space and Time

Just make sure when reinstalling the airbox, the rubber boot goes on correctly - no gaps. I think this whole process is unnecessarily difficult. It's an airfilter. It should just pop on, but it doesn't. Give yourself as much clearance as possible, push back the drain hose and wires so it can line up. You don't need to remove the gas tank completely, but I could see doing it to give more room.

Or get a Blackhorn.

Master of Space and Time

This guy seems to know what he's talking about!

http://www.phaedrus.me/id92.html

Master of Space and Time

Allow at least an hour for the job, inc. tank removal and replacement. And consider setting aside a sizeable sum for a psychotherapy treatment session afterwards. Or as Seamus says, just get a Blackhorn...

J.

Habitual Linestepper

Iordered the filter from Harley. I'm not super mechanicaly inclined so, this could get ugly! I do appreciate the advice, and will let you know how it goes. Or may be back in need of more help! Thanks again.

Mike.

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Quote Originally Posted by freddy4321 View Post
    Iordered the filter from Harley. I'm not super mechanicaly inclined so, this could get ugly! I do appreciate the advice, and will let you know how it goes. Or may be back in need of more help! Thanks again.

Mike.
    While you are in there mane sure to check the screws that hold the throttle plate in place! Do a search on it to find out why this is a MUST CHECK item while you have the tank off.
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Habitual Linestepper

Follow the KN video except where they tell you to refer to the HD manual. With cover and tank mounting bolts removed, tip the tank away from you and prop it in place. Slide the little spring clips that hold two tubes on back about 3/4 inch, then pull off. Then KN’s video is right on. RZ