TTS Mastertune

Thread: TTS Mastertune

Bucking the trend

Default TTS Mastertune

Has anyone else used TTS master tune?
    I have a 2011 XR1200X with V&H "Widow" pipes & K&N AF element. Like many here I tried the V&H FP3, it had one map for the pipes.
    It ran a bit better at high RPMs (5K+), but it didn't help the annoying sputter at low speeds (30MPH second gear). I tried auto-tune, didn't help (some V&H reps said "the 02 sensors are in the wrong place") WTF? I tried two "custom" maps made by the V&H technicians, but not much help either.

After finding a local dyno tuner (Hayward CA), they said the V&H doesn't allow for enough adjustment for a proper dyno tune. They said to buy the TTS Mastertune for the XR. It was another $300, but long story (somewhat) short, Jim at Metal Dragon tuned my XR and got rid of most of the annoying sputter.
    And, like many here, my XR was running very lean in the 2.5k to 4.5k RPM range, that got fixed too. And I got a few more ponies and ft. pounds! The TTS is not simple to use, so it's better to have a pro do it, but if you have the skills you can try it yourself.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has used TTS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Default Re: TTS Mastertune

^^^ good numbers^^^

Welcome to The Forum! Head over to our intro page and tell us a bit about yourself. Here:

https://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/si...isplay.php?f=8

Dris at Twin Motorcycles is a big fan of TTS Master Tune. He used to sell a package with the tuner and one of his custom pipes. He probably maps TTS maps available.

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websh...?cid=9731&mc=2
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Raised by Wolves

Hi Buck,

I have the Twin Motorcycles kit (airbox, exhaust and TTS tuner), and I can confirm the bike runs excellent with the canned map. I wanted to go see the guys at RC cycles in Hayward to have a fine tune of my map, but they are closed on Sat / Sun, so pretty difficult for me. Same thing for Metal Dragon (that is 20 mn apart from MD). Btw how did you find them? were you happy with their work? Cheers. Roberto
    2011 XR1200x

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Tweaker of Things

TTS Mastertune is a good piece of kit. I use it with good results.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Bronson Wannabe

In my opinion, there is no substitute for a knowledgeable, competent human tuner guy, that will work his (or her) magic on your bike.
    having said that, these machine tuners with auto tune functions can get you pretty close.
    I understand that the TTS mastertune, is one of the best. Glad your bike is running well.
    Regards
    Roy
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Diablo View Post
    Has anyone else used TTS master tune?
    I have a 2011 XR1200X with V&H "Widow" pipes & K&N AF element. Like many here I tried the V&H FP3, it had one map for the pipes.
    It ran a bit better at high RPMs (5K+), but it didn't help the annoying sputter at low speeds (30MPH second gear). I tried auto-tune, didn't help (some V&H reps said "the 02 sensors are in the wrong place") WTF? I tried two "custom" maps made by the V&H technicians, but not much help either.

After finding a local dyno tuner (Hayward CA), they said the V&H doesn't allow for enough adjustment for a proper dyno tune. They said to buy the TTS Mastertune for the XR. It was another $300, but long story (somewhat) short, Jim at Metal Dragon tuned my XR and got rid of most of the annoying sputter.
    And, like many here, my XR was running very lean in the 2.5k to 4.5k RPM range, that got fixed too. And I got a few more ponies and ft. pounds! The TTS is not simple to use, so it's better to have a pro do it, but if you have the skills you can try it yourself.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has used TTS.
    Is it a trait of V&H exhaust to have the big dip at 2500 rpm or is something else causing the dip?

Tweaker of Things

It's not the pipe.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

There's a fine line between tough and dumb...

I got the TTS initially based on the recommendation of the dyno tech at my HD dealer. They had the Screaming Eagle tuners, but said that the TTS provided a greater variety of options. The dyno tune after installation of the Torque Hammer 2 and Free Spirits intake was done with the TTS, as was the dyno tune after the 1250 kit, heads, and Red Shift cams (by a local independent shop.) I'm not familiar with the virtues of other tuners, but the TTS has served me well.
    Roger Smith
    2012 XR1200X
    2009 KLR650
    2005 ST1300
    1973 CL350

Tweaker of Things

To tune with a Sportster, it is just personal preference between SERT, Mastertune, SEST, SEPST.

First there was SERT, done by TTS for HD.

When TTS and HD ended their relationship, SERT ended production, and TTS marketed directly as Mastertune.

HD replaced SERT with the more graphical presentation SEST.

Mastertune progressively got updated.

SEST gained a limited autotune functionality and became SEPST.

And, in the end, considering how simple a Sportster is, you can tune it as well with SERT as any of the later options. Heck, Given a dyno and AFR probes, I prefer the SERT for the Sportster since it has all of the needed tuning tables and none of the fluff. But then, I still like DOS 3.0 ....
    Phaedrus

Albert Einstein

Bucking the trend

Thanks! I'd like to try other maps if they may help even more.

Bucking the trend

Quote Originally Posted by Musky Mike View Post
    Is it a trait of V&H exhaust to have the big dip at 2500 rpm or is something else causing the dip?
    I don't think it's the exhaust, but I sure as hell would like to get rid of it! But at this point I was just focused on getting the sputtering down to a minimum.

Bucking the trend

Quote Originally Posted by r_travaglini View Post
    Hi Buck,

I have the Twin Motorcycles kit (airbox, exhaust and TTS tuner), and I can confirm the bike runs excellent with the canned map. I wanted to go see the guys at RC cycles in Hayward to have a fine tune of my map, but they are closed on Sat / Sun, so pretty difficult for me. Same thing for Metal Dragon (that is 20 mn apart from MD). Btw how did you find them? were you happy with their work? Cheers. Roberto
    Hey Roberto, I heard about RC from the guy I bought my XR from, but the tuner guy at RC is kind of an idiot... He looked at my O2 sensors (the newer Bosch ones) and said "you have aftermarket sensors" Then he tried to do a dyno run and said "I can't see your O2 sensors" and took the bike off the stand and blew me off. Good thing I didn't pay the knucklehead.

I called TTS to find someone else and they told me about Jim at Metal Dragon. Much better! Jim told me the RC guy didn't have the sensors calibrated in the software. Pretty basic stuff for a guy that's supposed to be a "tuner". Jim got the bike running better, and fixed the lean condition. But I do wish he could have fixed the torque dip, not sure what's causing that.

Raised by Wolves

Thanks Buck, useful information, I plan to have the 1275 in place in august and I will need a reputable tuner past the first 500 miles ....! Cheers. Roberto
    2011 XR1200x

Raised by Wolves

PS: how much was the dyne in terms of $$$ ???
    2011 XR1200x

Bucking the trend

Quote Originally Posted by r_travaglini View Post
    PS: how much was the dyne in terms of $$$ ???
    The dyno tune costs $400, the tuner is $350.
    But you keep the tuner for future use, if you need to re-dyno or get a canned map from somewhere you want to try.