XR1200 Owners Group banner

Revisit Colorado?

16K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  Durango Kid 
#1 ·
Now that 2 years have passed since the last meeting in Colorado I wanted to float the idea to see if there was any interest in pulling one together this August. Canon City was great in 2016 but I would like to propose a different venue for 2019. I recall several of you speaking fondly of Gunnison over dinner one night last time and indeed this is a good central location to catch a wide variety of epic rides through some of the most sparsely travelled roads in the state. I am not going to jump the gun with too much logistical info at this time but I thought I would provide a little beta regarding potential venue and regional ride ideas to help gauge interest. Most for these routes are fairly long so this would be for folks who like to log miles. Hope you all give it some consideration and I look forward to seeing your responses.

Proposed Date: August 8-12
Proposed Venue: KOA-Gunnison, CO (website)

Initial Ride Suggestions:

• Gunnison to Carbondale via CO 92 > CO 133 (141 mi). This route skirts the north side of the Black Canyon and then proceeds over McClure Pass. Return either via the same route or by heading south into Aspen and then taking Independence Pass to Twin Lakes. Proceed south to Poncha Springs and return to Gunnison over Monarch Pass. Independence is a must if you like big mountain passes but I’ve heard 92 rivals the Dragon, if that’s your thing. Either way, hard to go wrong.

• Gunnison to Lake City and Slumgullion Pass via CO 149 (75-80 mi). Lake City is an awesome little remote town and Slumgullion Pass is not to be missed. Well worth the short little out and and back past Lake City. This would potentially also be a great day to take in a visit to the south side of Black Canyon National Park before heading back to Gunny.

• Gunnison to Great Sand Dunes National Park Via CO 114 (133). This route would start and end proceeding through Cochetopa Canyon and over the Continental Divide via North Pass. The final leg to the Park is straight and wide open but the views and destination are worthy. Alternate routes are an option but returning the way we came would probably be favorable.

• Gunnison to Palisade via CO 92 and CO 65 (160 mi). This ride takes you over Grand Mesa into the heart of Colorado wine and peach country on the Colorado River. Grand Mesa is the largest flat top mountain in the world and the summit resides at about 11,000ft. Great vistas are abundant and this would again start and finish on CO 92.

Please note: All mileage estimates listed are one way only. (In case it was not obvious..) There are plenty of additional great rides that can be had for folks that want to venture out further but each of these rides provide enough technical challenge and sightseeing opportunities to fill a day.

See less See more
#2 ·
Being an Okie, this is a lot easier to attend than anything east of the Mississippi!
And, I’d appreciate fleeing the heat & humidity here in Oklahoma-count me in.

I love the southern part of Colorado-it’s where a hearty bowl of Green Chile stew can be had at any fuel stop.
Speaking of fuel, are there plenty of gas stations on these remote epic routes?

#3 ·
I'm up for it.

BlueJackalop: I've always found premium gas to be available almost anywhere I went in Colorado. I do carry a few three or four ounce bottles of octane booster, just in case; there were a few stations in SE Colorado (and western KS) that only had 87 octane, but premium seems plentiful in the good riding areas.

#10 ·
Hi all! I haven't posted in quite a while as last year brought a lot of changes for my wife and I. We sold our home of 29 years and had a new one built. We lived aboard our boat during the in-between time. But I digress. . .
I am still kicking myself for missing out on the last rendezvous in Colorado, so you can count me in if we can get it organized for this summer.
Cheers

#14 ·
I am holding in the wait and see mode on this one. Seeing as to how I took a few months off work at the end of last year into this year I would probably have to bribe someone at the office to get this time off and I don't think that there is a big enough box of chocolates to get a wink and nod on this one.

#21 ·
Does not seem to be much interest in another "national" meet-up. Not many people have even weighed in as either a yea or nay. Of those, only a few are yea's. What gives people?
I guess the Right-Coast people have their "Dragon" meet, and the Left-Coast So-Cal people have their "Epic".
Looks like this one will become the fly-over country meet.

#22 ·
Maybe we should plan it for 2020 so people can plan. And not so close to Sturgis.

P.S. XrRunner and I will be in Sturgis this year. Mostly hanging at the flattrack races.

#23 ·
I would suggest that the riders in that general area make it a regular scheduled and promoted yearly meet including lotsa pitchurs and lies told on the forum for the people that can easily reach that area in a reasonable ride time and it become a quinquennial event for us East and Left coasters to make plans for accordingly.

If it does become an annual planned event there then it will probably even drag in a few other riders that can make it or some others that may be thinking of vacationing in that area to plan accordingly for meeting up with such a core group as we can make it.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Sky

#25 ·
I would suggest that the riders in that general area make it a regular scheduled and promoted yearly meet including lotsa pitchurs and lies told on the forum for the people that can easily reach that area in a reasonable ride time and it become a quinquennial event for us East and Left coasters to make plans for accordingly.

If it does become an annual planned event there then it will probably even drag in a few other riders that can make it or some others that may be thinking of vacationing in that area to plan accordingly for meeting up with such a core group as we can make it.

View attachment 237330
Good memories. Monarch Pass, right?

J.

#29 ·
Sorry for the delayed follow-up but I have a ‘life event’ developing so I have been monitoring the recent responses and taking it all into consideration. As of this week I will likely be losing my job with the fire department due to some tighter compliance with vision guidelines. I injured one eye 24 years ago and it’s now become an issue. What this means for my future is not yet known but what is certain is that I have had to back out of a trade arangement that I set up in August so I could dedicate more time to getting things set up in Gunnison. While I may be able to reset that if everything works out, the bottom line is that I just don’t know what is going shake down, or when.

While I like Thomas’s idea of planning an annual regional meet, i can’t realistically factor that in with other family commitments at this stage in life. Maybe in another 5-10 years when the kid is out of school.. At this point I’m leaning towards MadDog’s suggestion of pushing this out to 2020. Between him, XRRunner and Gort that’s three dudes I’d like to see here in Colorado anyway. While I did not originally think Sturgis would be a conflict, turns out it was so I’ll reconsider that for next year. In fact, if it turns out that I end up having that time available this August, I may just end up riding up to Sturgis for a few days myself.

So, with this in mind:

Who’s up for 2020?

#32 ·
I'm actually a slim chance for 2020. Plan is Israel with a church group in April and possibly some months crewing on a Mercy Ships operation on the west coast of Africa after that, which I may be able to tie in with this as I continue west and homewards. Definetley a tempting idea.

J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.