Carolina's, Tennessee and Georgia Riding May 16-20 - Page 6
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Master of Space and Time

Default Re: Carolina's, Tennessee and Georgia Riding May 16-20

Roy, commiserations but congratulations.

I'm sorry you can't make it, also sorry I can't get to these events, but you've made the smart move, mate. You are dead right that you'd be more easily fatuiged and a possible danger to yourself and possibly others if you went. Riding bikes is already a high risk activity, adding recent illness and surgery to the mix definitely worsens the odds, not to mention that like most of us you're a gentleman "of a certain age", not a young buck in his teens who bounces back much more quickly than us.

One of the real killers of older, more mature men is this expectation we have that we can still do everything physical as capably as we did when we were thirty years younger. Climb up on roofs to fix stuff, fang around on bikes, drink and get rowdy, etc. etc. The roofs thing is deadly, btw. I don't know how many older blokes I've seen in ICU's with life threatening injuries from falling off roofs or ladders, but it's been many over the years. Always men, women are smart and pay someone else to do it. At our age and weight it can only take an unexpected fall of a meter or two to do it, believe it or not, because the human skeletal structure progressively weakens from around twenty y.o. by about one per cent annually, so a fall from a real height of one story onto an unyielding surface like concrete is commonly fatal on the spot. The only good thing about falling off bikes by comparison is it's not a long drop, and some of the energy is absorbed in the the slide. Plus we're wearing the gear (usually), that's a major plus.

You've got a device called a PICC line in place, a Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter. Very useful for long term administration of IV meds like the antibiotic you're on, and means you can go home from hospital earlier and continue the treatment there. We see a lot of them. If you can, give it a flush each eight hours or so with some sterile saline, you should be able to get some from a pharmacy along with disposable syringes. PICC's have a very narrow passageway for the liquid drug you inject, called a lumen, and this lumen is so small, probably only half a mm in diameter, that they clot off very easily unless flushed every now and again. Which is a preventable nuisance, as it may mean it has to be removed and another inserted, so more delay in treatment, hassle and expense. Just a tip.

Best wishes with the rest of your recovery, Roy. I'll be praying for you today. You've done the smart thing, again commiserations but congratulations. And btw, I recently scored a black body canoe to go with the black X tank cover you sold me, so I'm most of the way to achieving my goal of an alternate change of clothes for my orange '10 non X. Now I'm considering respraying both pieces, but what colour?...decisions, decisions...

J.
    Last edited by Shackman01; 05-04-2019 at 02:47 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Master of Space and Time

Sorry to hear Roy. Take care of yourself. I am thinking of a north central PA ride 8/10 or maybe 8/11. Keep in mind.

I'm slow

Sorry Roy and hope you get well soon! If you need a consult from a legal drug dealer feel free to message me. Look forward to seeing everyone here in a week!

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Got my finalize dyno tune session set up and also going to have a gas milage oriented tune made up for those long highway miles. 100 miles and you run out isn't conducive to long trips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sadwingsragn; 05-09-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Master of Space and Time

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    Got my finalize dyno tune session set up and also going to have a gas milage oriented tune made up for those long highway miles. 100 miles and you run out isn't conducive to long trips.

Great plan. How do you switch from one tune to another?

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Great plan. How do you switch from one tune to another?
    Reflash each time.

Raised by Wolves

Reflash each time.

You should've fitted a PCV, you can have two tunes and swap between the two by the flick of a switch

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Houseyhousey View Post
    You should've fitted a PCV, you can have two tunes and swap between the two by the flick of a switch
    Then how would I be able to auto tune?

Takes about ten seconds to swap between tunes. There will be three tunes in the gizmo.

Economy
    Dragon run
    Beast mode

Tweaker of Things

Multiple tunes with the simple speed-density HD really isnt necessary. In the HD mapping, AFR is set based on how hard you are rolling on the throttle, or whether you are cruising or running WOT. EFI isnt like carb where you need to rejet to optimize different areas. And the XR isn't like a car where they play with different tranny tuning for economy, /towing/performance, etc. One good comprehensive tune, and the XR is covered. Well, unless you want to stretch out 50+ mpg for highway cruising, but personally I'd never run my XR that lean.

Set up one good comprehensive tune, and your covered. I go to full open loop mode with no sensors, after tuning. No need for daily autoadjustment, unless you're running a BMW.....
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Multiple tunes with the simple speed-density HD really isnt necessary. In the HD mapping, AFR is set based on how hard you are rolling on the throttle, or whether you are cruising or running WOT. EFI isnt like carb where you need to rejet to optimize different areas. And the XR isn't like a car where they play with different tranny tuning for economy, /towing/performance, etc. One good comprehensive tune, and the XR is covered. Well, unless you want to stretch out 50+ mpg for highway cruising, but personally I'd never run my XR that lean.

Set up one good comprehensive tune, and your covered. I go to full open loop mode with no sensors, after tuning. No need for daily autoadjustment, unless you're running a BMW.....
    Uhhhh,,,, BR549?!?!

Bring your laptop.

Whistling Dixie!

Maybe you can help me help myself by mansplaining some of this fuel injection stuff and demystify a little of it for me.

Raised by Wolves

Weather looking good so far unless something changes. New primary chain on. Now for the two new Pilot Road 4 GT's today. Squeezed the last miles out of the old ones.
    We are the people our parents warned us about--- Jimmy Buffet.

Tweaker of Things

Maybe you can help me help myself by mansplaining some of this fuel injection stuff and demystify a little of it for me.
    In a different thread.....
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Raised by Wolves

I agree with Phadreus I don't know about anyone else but i have TTS Master Tune dual bike tuner for my XR, and my Road Glide with a 110 engine 6 speed. I have observed over the years that most tuners tune for power first and mileage second. You can have both but it takes some knowledge and time($$$) on a dyno. There is pretty steep learning curve with the TTS but you can use the autotune function and brainpower to get mileage without sacrificing power and without overheating the engine in closed loop, which i run on both bikes with the O2 bias set for a reasonable closed loop AFR. My XR gets around 45 MPG with Torquehammer 1 and K & N filter. I suppose it would get more if ridden sanely but who does that? The 850 pound Road Glide with a 110 engine, SE throttle body, ported 103 heads and Fueling 574 gear drive cams that me and Revolution Performance built gets 49 MPG running 75 MPH on the interstate and will outrun just about all of the other HD's with a 110 engine unless someone just went hog wild building it into a hot rod. Not something i want to do to a touring bike.

Whistling Dixie!

In a different thread.....
    Not what I was thinking. I am a visual guy so if you could spare me an hour or so one night after the days riding on this meet and walk me through some of this on a laptop looking at the tables I think is what you call them I would be extremely grateful for it.

Tweaker of Things

Not what I was thinking. I am a visual guy so if you could spare me an hour or so one night after the days riding on this meet and walk me through some of this on a laptop looking at the tables I think is what you call them I would be extremely grateful for it.
    That would be a pleasure! The hour, not techie drivel. But, I've a conflict and won't be there this week.
    Phaedrus

Albert Einstein

Raised by Wolves

Getting ready for next week. New rear tire on. Now for the front after a ghost pepper tuna salad lunch. Sure hate to take a tire off with a few thousand miles left on it but it was a Pilot Road 3 and i have a Pilot Road 4 GT to match the rear. Best i remember when i put the Pilot Road 4 on the rear, the GT seems to be a bit stiffer and harder to mount. Now to take off up the Natchez Trace for 100 miles or so tomorrow to make sure everything is ok. I will leave wednesday morning

Raised by Wolves

Wanted to wish you guys going on the May 16 ride the best, wish I was going. I'll meet you guys one day I guess. Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down. Take lots of pics please and share when ya'll get home, Thanks

Whistling Dixie!

That would be a pleasure! The hour, not techie drivel. But, I've a conflict and won't be there this week.
    Lot of damn good you are!

Probably out closing a deal on a new Indian FTR I bet.

90% of the time I will be riding in the gas mileage tune anyway so it will wait for you or someone else to help me with the basic understanding of how to flip your wrist as you shake the rattles during the witchcraft.

There's a fine line between tough and dumb...

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    Best i remember when i put the Pilot Road 4 on the rear, the GT seems to be a bit stiffer and harder to mount.
    You're not imaging it, the PR4GTs are stiffer and harder to mount (I'm running them on my ST1300,) but they're still easier than a lot of the tires we've run into. Crazy good mileage on the big Honda (724 lbs...); I'm getting about 12K on a rear.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Power 3s right now, having switched to a 17" front wheel. They'll probably be ready to be changed out when I get back from NC. I've had a new set in the garage for at least a year, waiting to wear the current pair out.
    Roger Smith
    2012 Harley XR1200X
    2020 Triumph Speed Twin
    2009 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 Honda ST1300
    1973 Honda CL350