Default ? For dual sport owners

Any thoughts on 2019 crf 450l?
    i want a dual sport but not sure which one. The bike is $10300 starting

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

HE who dies with the most toys wins

Default Re: ? For dual sport owners

Real nice bike, but the Find out what the hour time is for major engine services.

Raised by Wolves

Kickass

fool in the rain.....

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Quote Originally Posted by fwg1961 View Post
    Real nice bike, but the Find out what the hour time is for major engine services.
    Servicing on a Honda? It is probably done on the same service schedule as the ball peen hammer in your toolbox and the bike is probably about as reliable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Master of Space and Time

I heard it is a true street legal dirtbike. Unlike the XRs, DRs, CRF250Ls, and KLRs, which are more street oriented (designed for higher miles, less maintenance, passengers, sturdier/heavier, etc..) the 450 is a true dirtbike with lights. In NJ we can not go into state land without plates and insurance, so I expect they may sell well here and other states like NJ. The price is daunting though. Although apples to oranges, you can get a new DR-Z400 for $7,000.00.

Lovin the XR!

The bike looks great, the 10,300 is personally more then I'd want to spend on a bike that I would ride in areas that it would surely show where I'd been. Ive been into dual sporting for years and actually sold my DRZ400 when I purchased my XR, I paid 5,600 OTD for the DRZ in 2006 and I was hesitant taking it some places as I didn't want to scratch it up On the plus side the CRF is definitely more dirt oriented then the DRZ and will probably hold up better.

HE who dies with the most toys wins

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    Servicing on a Honda? It is probably done on the same service schedule as the ball peen hammer in your toolbox and the bike is probably about as reliable.

I looked it up 600mi oil changes and 1800mi valve adjustments. I wonder how long the piston and rings will last. This bike is closer to an MX Bike than a dual purpose bike like the XR650 or DRZ400. I don't put the miles on my street titled Yamaha WR450f supermoto because I would spend as much time riding it as wrenching on it.

Whistling Dixie!

I looked it up 600mi oil changes and 1800mi valve adjustments. I wonder how long the piston and rings will last. This bike is closer to an MX Bike than a dual purpose bike like the XR650 or DRZ400. I don't put the miles on my street titled Yamaha WR450f supermoto because I would spend as much time riding it as wrenching on it.
    That surprises me on the valve adjustment being that few miles on intervals or is that a break-in thing and after the first adjustment the miles per interval adjustments stretch out to something reasonable?

Lovin the XR!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    That surprises me on the valve adjustment being that few miles on intervals or is that a break-in thing and after the first adjustment the miles per interval adjustments stretch out to something reasonable?
    It would not surprise me if that's correct being 90% off road, 1800 miles is a lot off road and they are usually hard miles. I change my oil on my dirt bike about every 3rd to 4th ride, so probably about every 150 miles and my air filter get cleaned about the same, valves I've been adjusting once a year which I would guess would be about 600 miles or so.

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbikenut View Post
    It would not surprise me if that's correct being 90% off road, 1800 miles is a lot off road and they are usually hard miles. I change my oil on my dirt bike about every 3rd to 4th ride, so probably about every 150 miles and my air filter get cleaned about the same, valves I've been adjusting once a year which I would guess would be about 600 miles or so.
    Sad to say I haven't had a dirt bike since I was 18 or so and the last one I had was a woefully underpowered Honda XL100 that I absolutely loved and loved to hate and loved to ride.

Master of Space and Time

What are you going to use it for?

Braap!

That's pretty crazy. I completely agree with your assessment of it's purpose. Here in the Northeast, trails are limited and lights and street plates are required for sanctioned Enduro racing. This bike seems great for that.

A long time back I was at a track day and saw the aftermath of supermoto'd YZ or WR 426 that went crunch. Knocked 5 holes in the head/cylinder and cases. I wouldn't want to have to do frequent teardowns to avoid that either...

Mikeysduck

The CRF450L had an industry test / impression ride this week. The reviews and specific details are sequestered until next week. One source said information will be released Monday the 17th, another said the 19Th. From everything I've found, it's a Japanese KTM EXC that weighs about 20 extra pounds. I read it weighs 289 LBS. Honda claims the subframe was designed to carry the weight adventure supplies, what ever that means. This should be much more clear sometime next week.
    Having more money doesn't make you happier.
    I have 50 million dollars, but I'm just as happy as when I had 48 million.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Tweaker of Things

i'll stick with my 525 EXC.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Master of Space and Time

I just put a set of Shinko 804/805s on my KTM 1190 Adv (standard). I swore I would keep this a street bike, but i have camping/fishing trip coming up in Pittsburg, NH and wanted to do a little exploring. So I guess that makes it a dual sport... It will be interesting to see how she handles the 10+ hour ride on wet highways.....

Attachment 235006
    Last edited by Seamus; 09-14-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Habitual Linestepper

I'd put my money in a KTM 500 EXC. My 2012 is all I could ever want.