So, you just scratched your paint up good and it is ruined right?
    Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Default So, you just scratched your paint up good and it is ruined right?

All of us have done it at some point in many ways. We all wash our bikes, except Magoo but even he has a 10 year schedule, and we find that dreaded scratch. Some of us have put our saddle bags on and somehow even after taking great pains to protect our skins they get damaged. Something like this,

That is NOT a 10 foot and it disappears scuff.

The scratch to the left of my reflection is a deep one caused by some bungee cord ends. There are a few other scratches in the area on the right.

Taking the seat on and off just destroys this area. I cry every time I do it because I know what will happen when I put it back on.

These pictures don't record all the little scratches on the skin but believe me they are there and quite visible on these black bikes. So, what to do? Pay a grand for a new set just to start the whole process of loosing your mind all over again? No need. Save the money and go buy one of these.

NAPA has them, some of the other big name parts stores may or may not. I recommend this kit because of this.

Left to right they are 500, 800, 3,000 grit pads. The orange thing is a big thick foam piece used with the polishing compound provided. The first thing you do is open the kit and toss the 500 grain stuff into a drawer for when you need to polish out the worst weathered headlights known to man. The second thing you do is wash the hell out of the piece you will be working on. Try to remove the wax but just a good scrub with some Dawn goes a long way. I would leave the pieces on the bike, I took mine off since my bike is in the shop and I decided to fix my scratches so I could then transport it all over hell's half acre in my truck to see if I could scratch it again. BRILLIANT! After you have washed the piece you are working on you need to cover and protect the rest of the bike as best you can because when you use the polishing compound it will get slung EVERYWHERE. Remember, safety thir,,, I mean first! Some glasses would be a good idea for when you use the polishing compound.

So let's begin shall we?

Start with a variable speed cordless drill. I did almost all of this at medium speed. Too slow isn't good, too fast and you will burn the plastic. Put an 800 grit piece on IF YOU HAVE DEEP SCRATCHES. If not skip this step and save yourself the heart attack.

I know, I know, half of you just told yourself *FK NO* Believe me, the first time I did this and I seen that I was wondering how much was in the bank account. Stick with me here guys, give it a chance. After thrashing your skins with the 800 grit and use the 800 grit as little as possible and as much as possible stay away from the hard bends/angles on the surface. Now switch to the 3,000 grit pad and continue to buff with it. As you are working you can see the scratch as a bright white streak where the powdered clear coat paint collects in the deeper scratches. Once you get it almost out stop, clean it with a clean towel, and switch to the foam pad with a good bit of the polishing compound on it.

Start buffing it nice and slow to spread the compound a bit then go to the middle speed of the drill and work it over good then clean everything up and repeat as often as needed till you get this.

Believe me, other than that deep gouge on the front there are almost NO blemishes on there any more. To all intents and purposes they are as good as new.

Now, if all you have is scuff marks I would skip the 800 grit part. Just a note here on doing this. I KNOW it works on this glossy black and I am almost positive it will work on the glossy orange and probably the silver bikes. What it wold do to the mat finished bikes I do not know so take that into advisement if you have those colors and if you do then you can, if you have just thrashed your tank skin *hinthint* and you are going to replace it anyway well give this a shot and post up the results here for others to learn by. I have removed a GOUGE on the side of my tank that I was positive I would not be able to removed by doing this. No, I didn't mean a piddly scratch I mean a full on GOUGE. I was stunned on how well this system worked and believe me if my ham fisted self can do this you can do it as well. I hope this can save a few of you a few bucks and bring that new bike shine back to your bikes like it has mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sadwingsragn; 08-19-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Raised by Wolves

Default Re: So, you just scratched your paint up good and it is ruined right?

Don't think this will work on my denim black.

Raised by Wolves

Good job

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Bronson Wannabe

Well Done Thomas!!, thanks for the tip
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Raised by Wolves

I remeber when i had a Buell.The Body parts went shabby after using it f. a while.
    Gave em to a Auto repair shop.Unbelieveable what chemicals can do with the right machinery.
    Better than new and shiny.Never tryed a matt black part but its worth to do.The matt blk parts are not painted.Go to a Auto shop/dealer and give em a try.Good luck.

Raised by Wolves

Impressive !
    Probably too brutal for a mat cover but will definitely test on my shiny black 2007 s2r 1000
    Hidden Content
    Current bikes :
    2012 XR1200X
    2007 S2R 1000

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadsteR View Post
    Impressive !
    Probably too brutal for a mat cover but will definitely test on my shiny black 2007 s2r 1000
    Give it a shot on that scratched up skin of yours. I am curious on what it would do on those mat skins. What do you have to loose, it isn't like it would mess it up any more than it already is.

Raised by Wolves

Sure, I will get the damaged cover back from the dealer.
    Hidden Content
    Current bikes :
    2012 XR1200X
    2007 S2R 1000

Raised by Wolves

Im offering a Pewter Denim cover,orig. color on flea bay....))))since this morning.Its near perfect,minor scratch,nothing to talk about.
    Selling your cover you will earn min.100,-Eu.or more.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...89602-306-1182.

Price incl. P&P 210,-Eu.Looks good on blk seat,i had this combo last month

Translation:

https://www.deepl.com/translator

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post

I know, I know, half of you just told yourself *FK NO*
    Wow! You heard me yell that all the way down in Ole Miss?

Guess I'll finish reading the rest of the post now...
    '11 XR1200x | '06 FLHR | '04 FXDL

The more I learn the less I know

Great info I will definitely give it a shot on my scratched up body work. Bungie- cording milk crates & fishing rods has taken its toll. Thanks!

HE who dies with the most toys wins

Quote Originally Posted by rideabike06 View Post
    Great info I will definitely give it a shot on my scratched up body work. Bungie- cording milk crates & fishing rods has taken its toll. Thanks!
    Dam! you are using a thoroughbred Race Pig like it was a mule.

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    Wow! You heard me yell that all the way down in Ole Miss?

Guess I'll finish reading the rest of the post now...
    It wasn't hard to guess what someone else would think after I did this the first time and seen those ungodly scuffs on my tank cover right at the top of the decal where my gouge was. I was like literally sick to my stomach and getting hot under the collar at myself especially since the next day I was headed out for this last Dragon meeting. Believe you me there was some paint peeling oaths and a solid year of purgatory earned after I wiped the dust off the tank and seen THAT where before there had been just a nasty 3 inch long and 1/4 wide gouge.

After I was done I sprained my arm patting myself on the back because when I showed up at the Dragon this year the paint was SPOTLESS.

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by rideabike06 View Post
    Post some before and after pics! It makes me feel useful to make someone else feel good about stuff like this. It really is easy to do. Just remember, as little as necessary with the least grit possible and be as gentle as you can be especially around any hard angles.

Oh, and a good coat of some fine wax to protect it after you are finished.

Braap!

Nice work! Body-work terrifies me. I recently bought my first new car in years and promptly got some paint chips in it. I learned as much as I could about how to properly fill and seal them. Bought all the supplies: factory paint, sanding blocks, polishing compound, paint thinner, etc. etc. I could only bring my self to apply the matching paint and then wipe it flush with the thinner. Could not get the courage to clear-coat it and then wet sand it flush.

I did practice on an old scuffed up bicycle frame, wet sanding it with some very fine 1000/1500/2000 grit and then buffing it. Came out GREAT. Just don't have it in me to take those tools to my cars hood.

I do use the polishing compound to take out scuffs in my black tail from my tail-bag. It is not really sufficient on it's own, but it does help.

Whistling Dixie!

Quote Originally Posted by skidmarc View Post
    I do use the polishing compound to take out scuffs in my black tail from my tail-bag. It is not really sufficient on it's own, but it does help.
    Yeah, for the scuffs all you would need is the 3,000 grit light sanding and then the foam applicator with the polishing compound and it would be as good as new.

Habitual Linestepper

Amazing job done there. Last year had a Honda wrapped in Monster Energy colours. I dig what you mean!