Small Vintage Bike Show at Oxford Mills, Ontario
    Master of Space and Time

Default Small Vintage Bike Show at Oxford Mills, Ontario

Maybe it's just me, but I find looking at old motorcycles is good for the soul. Most of these rode in, which is a big plus in my mind.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 004.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	233492

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 006.jpg
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	233494

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 007.jpg
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	233496

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 008.jpg
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	233498

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 009.jpg
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	233500

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 012.jpg
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	233502

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 016.jpg
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	233504

Attachment 233506

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 018.jpg
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	233508

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 022.jpg
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	233510

Name:	new KTM and july holidays 023.jpg
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	233512
    "The world is all the richer for having a devil in it, so long as we keep our foot upon his neck."
    William James

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Turtle

Default Re: Small Vintage Bike Show at Oxford Mills, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by flattrkr View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I find looking at old motorcycles is good for the soul. Most of these rode in, which is a big plus in my mind.
    Agree 100%. Some great bikes there.

Master of Space and Time

Fantastic Harry.

Correct me if I'm wrong but has any volume motorcycle manufacturer tried a North - South four cylinder design in the post war era since Indian's example here?

Triumph's Rocket 3 almost qualifies, but still no cigar. A mighty motorcyle but still one pot short

Can't think of any here.

Seems an obvious choice if you REALLY want your new model to stand out, in fact about the only missing configuration left. We've got transverse triples and fours coming out our patoosies, more vertical and inclined singles and twins than you can shake a stick at, we've got flat twins, flat fours and a flat six, V twins transverse and in line, Aprilia and Ducati both make in line V fours, Motus make transverse V fours, some bespoke makers will make you a transverse V8 to order, Honda made a transverse V3 two stroke 250 a while back. And I'm out.

Is it time to revisit the North - South inline design? Indian did it like 50 yrs ago with chain drive yet, no shaft then, so it must be possible.
    Torque reaction problems? Too long a drivetrain & thus wheelbase? Just too much like a car?

Your thoughts, please.

J.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Raised by Wolves
    Up a dirt road in the middle of the Portuguese Alentejo. Beautiful.

There was a short lived inline (to the frame) four made in the Uk in the 80s. I just can't recall its name.

It had a 1700, Volvo I think, car engine and a Guzzi shaft system. The technical contributor to Classic Bike Rick Parkington mentioned working on it in some context I seem to remember.

Sorry to be so vague!

Edit: then I found this. On Indian Motorcycles.net. Looks nice, but I couldn't create a link.

LuftWolfIndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter

I imagine that almost everyone, at least on this side of the Atlantic, is under the impression that Polaris has sole rights to the Indian brand. Not so, for you see the Indian marque in the UK is owned by one Alan Forbes who is manufactoring a revival of the Four Cyclinder Indian.... the Dakota, in Scotland. It has a fuel injected 1845cc air cooled inline 4 cylinder longitudinal mounted engine that is a torque monster, putting out 124 foot pounds at 2450 rpm. Yes.. it is marketed in the US, but under the Dakota brand as well...Polaris has Indian all sewn up. Prices run from $29,781 for the Series II to $35,119 for the I-4 Series & then there are the options..... shipping etc. Still... you would certainly stand out in the crowd.

LuftWolfIndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter

I imagine that almost everyone, at least on this side of the Atlantic, is under the impression that Polaris has sole rights to the Indian brand. Not so, for you see the Indian marque in the UK is owned by one Alan Forbes who is manufactoring a revival of the Four Cyclinder Indian.... the Dakota, in Scotland. It has a fuel injected 1845cc air cooled inline 4 cylinder longitudinal mounted engine that is a torque monster, putting out 124 foot pounds at 2450 rpm. Yes.. it is marketed in the US, but under the Dakota brand as well...Polaris has Indian all sewn up. Prices run from $29,781 for the Series II to $35,119 for the I-4 Series & then there are the options..... shipping etc. Still... you would certainly stand out in the crowd.