Indian confirms release of FTR1200 for 2019 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Tweaker of Things

Default Re: Indian confirms release of FTR1200 for 2019

It does look fun. But not enough to get one.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

HE who dies with the most toys wins

I was able to see and sit on the FTR1200 at the Meadowlands flat track race last night. The bike makes a great streetfighter but in no way in hell is the bike a street tracker. The bike feels every bit as big and porky as our XR's. The seat and tank are very wide and bars are more like late 70's superbike bars. The general consensus of the people I talked to, was not what I would call overly positive about Indian capturing the excitement of the prototype. But it is still a pretty impressive bike.

Master of Space and Time

Quote Originally Posted by fwg1961 View Post
    I was able to see and sit on the FTR1200 at the Meadowlands flat track race last night. The bike makes a great streetfighter but in no way in hell is the bike a street tracker. The bike feels every bit as big and porky as our XR's. The seat and tank are very wide and bars are more like late 70's superbike bars. The general consensus of the people I talked to, was not what I would call overly positive about Indian capturing the excitement of the prototype. But it is still a pretty impressive bike.
    Thanks for the "seat-of-the-pants" impression. Your comments sound exactly what I would expect from the photos and videos.

And, lucky you getting to the Meadowlands....I had to watch it on FansChoiceTV, and it was excellent close racing. (How about that Shayna Texter!!!) (And a fine final race for the King of Cool !!!)
    "The world is all the richer for having a devil in it, so long as we keep our foot upon his neck."
    William James

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

HE who dies with the most toys wins

Quote Originally Posted by flattrkr View Post
    Thanks for the "seat-of-the-pants" impression. Your comments sound exactly what I would expect from the photos and videos.

And, lucky you getting to the Meadowlands....I had to watch it on FansChoiceTV, and it was excellent close racing. (How about that Shayna Texter!!!) (And a fine final race for the King of Cool !!!)
    Flattrkr it was awesome, I was in a skybox with open bar and first class food. I have never been to a motorcycle race that did not have a yellow or red flag because of a crash, not one rider went down the entire night. Lots of blown up engines thought.

Bronson Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by flattrkr View Post

Flattrkr it was awesome, I was in a skybox with open bar and first class food. I have never been to a motorcycle race that did not have a yellow or red flag because of a crash, not one rider went down the entire night. Lots of blown up engines thought.
    fwg, sorry I missed you..I was down in the cheap seats, getting pelted by the chewed up pieces of the track as they went by me at 120 mph!!!
    Having sat on the FTR1200, I generally share your sentiments about the bike, maybe if I didn't have the XR, i would be more interested, but it seems to check many of the same boxes that the XR does for me.It was a great race, I was so happy I went

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squantz 10-7-2018 show 020.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	235386
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Raised by Wolves

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indian ftr1200.jpg 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	235546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42485174_2188381978085258_3731710068707658194_n.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	235548 Be good if they could loose some of the engine cover to expose the donk more

Turtle

Went to the local Indian dealer in Sydney to have a look at one of these and was told they were not expecting them in Australia until maybe Feb 2019 - must be on a bloody slow boat....

Destroyer of worlds

Quote Originally Posted by imoo6170 View Post
    Went to the local Indian dealer in Sydney to have a look at one of these and was told they were not expecting them in Australia until maybe Feb 2019 - must be on a bloody slow boat....
    They are still in pre-production, expected to hit dealers here in the states in March. There are a few floating around dealers here in the US, but they are not for sale, just “marketing” bikes.
    GORT

Master of Space and Time

Another 30 (rated) hp and a 6th speed in the gearbox c/w the XR goes a long way toward looking past the styling deficiencies. Especially if some aftermarket pipes can be fitted, like the S&S items above. The Akrapovic slip ons are nice but the S&S pipes will be significantly lighter, possibly more powerful, maybe sound better, definitely look a whole lot better. Note that they also pretty much obscure the assymetric side mounted shock, no bad thing, and also tend to hide that awkward looking boxy black enclosure under the seat, which is what?...the fuel tank?...

The instrument binnacle atop the forks looks like an LED display and appears to be stock, not aftermarket, by the looks of the logo.

I still find it a highly interesting bike and can't wait for the first comprehensive road tests to be published. The obvious comparo will be b/n the FTR and a good XRx. I suspect we're going to get waxed in that excercise. Really, the only advanced design feature we have (disounting our wonderful orange colour, although some will disagree) which it doesn't have is belt drive. Can't think of anything else we've got that it doesn't have in a better or improved form.

Having said that, I detest those swing arm mounted rear plate and lights holders- what an invention of the devil those things are. Talk about being hit with the ugly stick- look how much better the improved FTR with S&S pipes and cleaned up rear end looks. Whoever dreamed those ghastly devices up should be dragged out of the design office and shot at dawn.

Also intruiged to see what the final weight of the road going version is with, say, half a tank full. From memory the FTR tank is not much bigger than ours, so there's an opportunity that's gone begging.

Roll on Feb 19 when we can see it here in Aus in the flesh. Don't think I'll be lashing out though.

J.

Raised by Wolves

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...0-accessories/

Accessories to change your ftr from a street tracker to flat tracker to scrambler to adventure bike

Bronson Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
    https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...0-accessories/

Accessories to change your ftr from a street tracker to flat tracker to scrambler to adventure bike

Hats off to Indian...they really know how to market a motorcycle. ARE YOU LISTENING HARLEY DAVIDSON???
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by CT XR rider View Post
    Hats off to Indian...they really know how to market a motorcycle. ARE YOU LISTENING HARLEY DAVIDSON???
    I like it. It's like a modern sportster in the sense that it is super modular and can be different types of bikes with a few bolt on accessories.....

...still not trading in my XR though

Raised by Wolves

Master of Space and Time

Yer darn tootin' Roy. But no, they're probably not listening. XR enthusiasts like us are a holdover from a recent past that doesn't really matter much any more.

From that collection I quite like the brown seat and the spoked wheels, the CF front guard is nice too. Notice they don't offer an exhaust option that does away with the ugly under swing arm box housing the cat. Well, the law of course.

Still, with a bit of work...and $...

J.

Raised by Wolves

The motor is almost completely hidden. For me the engine is a big part of the look of the motorcycle. My XR isn't going anywhere.
    2009 XR1200 Fast Orange, X suspension, Bassani exhaust, PCV, K&N, and Screaming Eagle brake lines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345