XR1200 Owners Group banner

XL and 883R

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  flattrkr 
#1 ·
My 1992 XL 883. Came to me ridiculously lowered, with offensively loud SE slip-ons and a Biltwell seat that was like sitting on a milk crate

fitted 13 1/2" shocks and Roadster fork tubes (a local chopper frame builder had a great stack of both, from bikes he'd lowered), and he also made the exhaust from stainless. Stock seat from eBay, megaphone from Armour's

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Early 90s 883R (supposedly, although I doubt it...) built for Sport Twins series, then had a further career as a local racebike in Illinois. Brought to UK and now racing in DTRA Championship

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
Early 90s 883R (supposedly, although I doubt it...) built for Sport Twins series, then had a further career as a local racebike in Illinois. Brought to UK and now racing in DTRA Championship

View attachment 215578

View attachment 215586
Hey, 45, nice job on the XL, but the history of the 883R is fascinating. I used to watch the 883 Race Series in the US and Canada, and loved it, although the superbike fans were appalled. The XR1200 Race series got the same reaction, although the racing was close and competitive.
I looked at the entry rules for bikes in the DTRA, and it seems pretty wide open.
You say the bike "is now racing in the DTRA Championship". Are you racing it? It looked hard enough to road race an 883, but it would seem to be a handful to flat track one.
Anyway, welcome to the forum from Canada,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.