Rocky Mountain Way - National XR Meet - August 18 - 21, 2016 - Page 29
Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    Just passing through

Default Re: Rocky Mountain Way - National XR Meet - August 18 - 21, 2016

Good thing I'm having a new set of tires put on the bike. I got a feeling we'll be putting in a lot of miles on this excursion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

This cat has seven left..

Been a while since I have spent any time here and was happy to see this event organized so close to home. Looking forward to this event and meeting some of you 'legends'..

I have a KOA tent site booked and have room available for up to seven if anyone else needs a site. I will take one black t-shirt in Large.

I have done several of these rides on bicycle but none of them on the XR yet. Actually haven't done many rides on the XR at all yet. (Family man with limited time available-you know the story..)

Don't touch me there!

Right on Durango Kid, I'm no legend but I'm looking forward to riding with you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Quote Originally Posted by horosho View Post
    Right on Durango Kid, I'm no legend but I'm looking forward to riding with you!
    I beg to differ sir. Anyone who has been behind you on the Dragon knows exactly who is in front of them.
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. #sand to the haters.Hidden Content

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by Durango Kid View Post
    Been a while since I have spent any time here and was happy to see this event organized so close to home. Looking forward to this event and meeting some of you 'legends'..

I have a KOA tent site booked and have room available for up to seven if anyone else needs a site. I will take one black t-shirt in Large.

I have done several of these rides on bicycle but none of them on the XR yet. Actually haven't done many rides on the XR at all yet. (Family man with limited time available-you know the story..)
    Durango,

I may need to take you up on that tent site offer, no response to my request above for a left over bed space in a cabin or something similar. I'll be in touch.

Thanks,

J.

WTF???

Going: Shirt Count Shirt Size Color Grand Total
    1HpyRider 2 XL 1 each
    BadBear 1 2X Black 1 XL long sleeve
    BreckRider 2 M Orange
    Briumph 1 XL Black
    CrzyMD
    Durango Kid 1 L Black
    Firefly519
    FITZXC 2 L
    FlatTrkr
    Geno 1 XL
    gerrychuck 1 L
    Gort 2 L 1 each
    horosho 2 L 1 each
    hurtucaine
    Jarhead 2 XL Either
    JulesVerne 2 XL 1 each
    KevKevSuperRev
    KZ1000 2 M 1 each
    Lakota 1 L
    MadDogXR 2 XL 1 each
    Magoo
    MitchG 4 2-M,2-L
    MtBadBob 1 L Orange
    Phaedrus
    PoolPawPaw 2 XL 1 each
    PurpleHaze 2 XL Black
    RobBob
    Roginoz 2 XL,4X
    SadWingsRagn 2 2X
    Seamus
    ShackMan 1
    XR Runner 2 XL Black
    XR1200MN 2 XL Either
    45 33 49
    You know I'll be there (even though I haven't committed yet):
    AitkinXR1200
    Apollo
    BerkHippie
    JeffB
    nick14 2 L
    OldBikeNut
    PaulO
    Ramos
    Springer
    StreetTracker 1 XL
    Maybe:
    Chinook
    CobraT
    Dagnabit
    Daka8602
    flathead
    JoeP
    Mortbike
    Life is dangerous! The more you are living it, the more dangerous it is!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

Habitual Linestepper

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Could mean less other bikes on the roads there. And we have few that I have seen or heard that hit Sturgis. 1700 miles for me, probably trucking it also.
    Long drive for us. Keep me in mind when planning for the trip, maybe we can go together and swap out driving time.

Lovin the XR!

I'm still trying to see if I can make it to Colorado, I really want to go, the timing is just a bit tricky. I haven't checked but is most of the lodging filled?

Can't Drive 55

GORT

whats the preferred route into Canon City from SLC?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOI to Canon, Co 01.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	165898
    Hidden Content
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin February 17, 1775

I'm not crazy, the voices told me so!

OK. I have a travel partner. I'm in. She has a sporty and is looking forward to riding.

Does anyone at the KOA have extra space at their campsite that we can buy in on? Just need a bit of real estate for the tent. Willing to cost share.

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly519 View Post
    OK. I have a travel partner. I'm in. She has a sporty and is looking forward to riding.

Does anyone at the KOA have extra space at their campsite that we can buy in on? Just need a bit of real estate for the tent. Willing to cost share.
    There should be no problems with tent space as probably most of us that are booked like myself are just one person on a site, and willing to share. If I remember right we can have 7 bodies per site. Maybe somebody already has checked or somebody could call and check and report back on whether we can have more than one tent on a site or if they expect up to seven bodies in one tent. If more than one tent allowed per site, we have no worries on running out of space.
    Hidden Content

**Zipcode for Canadian credit card gas purchases at the pump in USA, use only the numbers in your postal code (drop the letters) then add two zeros.

Can't Drive 55

Quote Originally Posted by hurtucaine View Post
    Shirt request.

Size 2XL / Qty 1
    shirt please.
    Hidden Content
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Can't Drive 55

Quote Originally Posted by XR RUNNER View Post
    Good thing I'm having a new set of tires put on the bike. I got a feeling we'll be putting in a lot of miles on this excursion.
    I just got a new set installed. Pilot Pro gt 4, this is second set of these got 9k mi on last set.
    Hidden Content

Sonya's a pretty kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly519 View Post

FF and friend,

Durango Kid is very kindly allowing me to pitch a tent (also kindly provided by Seamus, along with sleeping bag) on his camp site, cost sharing, of course. The sites take seven, I believe. You could maybe try a PM to him as a starting point, although it looks like there will be a bunch of available room at various sites.

Looking forward to having you girls with us in August.

Cheers,

J.

What do you mean, Harley's vibrate and connectors come loose?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    I beg to differ sir. Anyone who has been behind you on the Dragon knows exactly who is in front of them.

Ys, it's kind of like riding behind the Headless Horseman except here it's the riderless bike because he 's hanging somewhere around the oil drain plug. And yes, I do have pictures but since it's not catching Magoo in something he denies, I'm not looking for them now.
    Until there is a XS****, the XR1200 will always be last in priority for the "MOCO"

Destroyer of worlds

Quote Originally Posted by hurtucaine View Post
    GORT

whats the preferred route into Canon City from SLC?

Name:	BOI to Canon, Co 01.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	165898
    I'd travel the route you have selected. Green River to Grand Junction goes pretty quick, I-70 is the best if the weather is bad, and US50 into Canon city from Gunnison over Monarch pass is one of the rides we should all do anyway, it's very pretty.

Rick
    GORT

Raised by Wolves

I called and asked this KOA about their 7 person policy per site. I only told them I had a reservation later in the summer, not that I was with this group. Girl on phone said they only allow one tent per site. Wondering if we will get an exception due to being a group or if we will need to pre-plan on the thread to figure out how many sites we have, how many they have left, and how many can share tent space?
    Hidden Content

**Zipcode for Canadian credit card gas purchases at the pump in USA, use only the numbers in your postal code (drop the letters) then add two zeros.

My giant goes with me wherever I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Ys, it's kind of like riding behind the Headless Horseman except here it's the riderless bike because he 's hanging somewhere around the oil drain plug. And yes, I do have pictures but since it's not catching Magoo in something he denies, I'm not looking for them now.
    Each year I move further back in the line up I can say I've ridden behind most of the east coast guys and you can identify each of them by their riding style.

Horosho has a Marq Marquez style, he leans off like he's trying to pick up a quarter someone dropped near the corner's apex.

Cobrat - prolly the quickest one or two of us - looks like he barely moves on the bike, just sits straight up and flies. Smoke.

Poolpawpaw is what you call sneaky fast, always looks relaxed on the bike and knows he has nothing to prove. Hes comfortable riding sweep but when he turns it on he can pass the whole line up in a hurry. He rolls little rubber balls up on his sidewalls like no one else.

Phaedrus rides like an academic. He goes fast thru science and technique. He moves around on the bike in a very methodical, practiced, and disciplined way. You can see him mentally reviewing his track day lessons as he's headed into the next corner. Fast.

Sadwings rides just like he is ..... a devil may care wildman approach. He has no fear and apparently believes a handful of throttle is the answer to any question. Riding behind him is fun fun fun .... while you can keep hm n sight. When I read the west coast guys describing Bear I get an image of Sadwings.

Jarhead changes all the time. The first year I rode with him I was embarrassed 'cause he was so slow. Now I'm embarrassed 'cause he's so much faster than me. He's like Cobrat lite.

Purplehaze? Fast. Stylish. Good gear . I cannot keep up, I do not try, especially when he and Jarhead get into a duel.

Lakota? Smmmmoooothhhh. His glides along, going into turns fast and keeping good momentum to the exit. He'd make a good video subject. Then he has to pull over and vape.

Firefly is an excellent rider and is always going to ride her own ride. It's fun to ride behind her 'cause she's so precise, smooth never bobbles or changes her line mid-corner. She's not making it up as she goes along, she's prepared.

Flattrker shames me. He's forgotten more about riding than I've ever known. It was a shock to see him fall last year .... that was like seeing a unicorn eating a snaildarter during an eclipse ...it just doesn't happen very often.

Good times.
    "I've never been that scared going that slow."
    Scott Russell, former World SBK Champion, AMA Supersport and Superbike Champion and 5 time winner of the Daytona 200 (Mr. Daytona) commenting on his XR racing experience.

What do you mean, Harley's vibrate and connectors come loose?!

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Jarhead changes all the time. The first year I rode with him I was embarrassed 'cause he was so slow. Now I'm embarrassed 'cause he's so much faster than me. He's like Cobrat lite.

Name:	324.jpg 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	165938
    Until there is a XS****, the XR1200 will always be last in priority for the "MOCO"

Can't Drive 55

Quote Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
    I called and asked this KOA about their 7 person policy per site. I only told them I had a reservation later in the summer, not that I was with this group. Girl on phone said they only allow one tent per site. Wondering if we will get an exception due to being a group or if we will need to pre-plan on the thread to figure out how many sites we have, how many they have left, and how many can share tent space?
    Oh, Noo that doesn't sound good. I was planning to just bring my bivy and sleep pad. Just squat with someone since Maddog aluminium tube is all full.

Other KOAs = Cripple Creek and Cotopaxi. ( to far away.)

RV and camping near Canon KOA

Echo Canyon Campground
    Campground
    Address: 45044 US-50, Cañon City, CO 81212
    Phone866) 341-7875

Mountain View RV Resort
    Campground
    Address: 45606 US-50, Cañon City, CO 81212
    Phone719) 275-0900

Prospectors RV Resort at Royal Gorge
    Campground
    Address: 43595 W U.S. 50, Cañon City, CO 81212
    Phone719) 275-2128

Royal View Campground
    Campground
    Address: 43590 W U.S. 50, Cañon City, CO 81212
    Phone719) 275-1900
    Hidden Content