Battery Removal - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Removal

Raised by Wolves

Default Re: Battery Removal

A lot more hydrogen is produced if the battery is overcharged , it sounds like your regulator could be at fault, or possibly a dead cell in the battery, but then I wouldn't expect it to be able to start the XR, as even a new battery sometimes has the dreaded 'pregnant pause' as the motor hits the first compression stroke.
    The battery will be knackered anyway if it is 'blowing' out acid as you described, when you fit a new one you'll need to check the charging voltages as hhauto said or you could risk damaging the new battery.
    ZZR1400, XR1200, DR650 x 2
    In bits ;-) DR650, ZXR750

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

the older I get.the faster I was

Are you sure it's blowing out acid. My neighbor had his battery crack twice due to vibration.
    Leaked acid all over his bike.

Raised by Wolves

When you replace the XR battery you have to remove the red positive cable first . There is a chance the wrench may touch the frame ( ground, earth) causing a spark.

If there is a crack in the battery housing hydrogen gas can escape. Safety glasses recommended.

Here is a video showing a safe way of replacing the battery on a sportster.

Tweaker of Things

Quote Originally Posted by hhauto View Post
    When you replace the XR battery you have to remove the red positive cable first . There is a chance the wrench may touch the frame ( ground, earth) causing a spark.

You can remove the negative cable from the engine case ground point first, to be able to safely remove the positive cable. Which also frees up the battery to slide it out.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Raised by Wolves

Mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhh,lots of ,,how to do"""

First remove Earth/Grond Cable at the Motor!!!!!!!.Its easy.To remove first Batt + is no big Deal,it works.
    Use a longer Neg/Ground Cable was Part in another discussion somewhere here in the Forum.Good Idea.
    U dont need a Batt Strap,the Battery fits sneak to the Box so its save.If the Bike goes over the Top you are in more serious Trouble .
    First connect the Ground to the Battery and use a Cable Tie to pull the Cable and Battery back in Place.Than fit the Plus Cable and at last the Ground cable to the Motor.Tight Fit!!!!
    Maybe its a little Tricky but People at the Product Line doing the same.MotoBatt,Yellow ,is a good Choice.Any 50$ Batt. works min for 2-3 Years so there is no need for a 350$ Battery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12